Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You nfl draft experts explain Mitch to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

You nfl draft experts explain Mitch to me

Apr 27, 2019, 12:03 AM

I know tigerbigbass posted earlier but i want to ask it a different way:

I like Caldwell and the players seem to love him but what went wrong with Hyatt. Was he overrated in hs. 5* with 99 rating, #2 OT of the 15 class. Played super for us. Gaining All America status. Stayed healthy which is hard for an oline fella.

What happened? Was he not developed correctly. I read all the negatives from the nfl scouting and either he was way overrated being recruited or he wasn’t developed correctly by our coaches or he simply didn’t work hard enough.

Which is it? Because this is exactly what the other coaches are saying about Clemson Oline and why top picks should not come here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too light for a LT...

Apr 27, 2019, 12:34 AM

Might end up kicking inside to LG....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too light for a LT...

Apr 27, 2019, 1:35 AM

G is usually an option for the bigger college tackles that are either too slow or not athletic enough to play OT in the NFL; doubt he's moving inside.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too light for a LT...

Apr 27, 2019, 2:18 AM [ in reply to Too light for a LT... ]

Guards are typically bigger than tackles so.... ?

Re: Mitch is a technique proven guy

Apr 27, 2019, 12:45 AM

and with his arm length has been able to keep college level defenders away. However, he hasn't shown yet that he can develop that elite upper body strength to go against NFL pass rushers ( says the writers, etc.). IMO, I think Hyatt is a great player, durable, and if able to gain 15-20 pounds of muscle weight, and build upper body mass he can do it at the next level. If's he selected late as a backup, he'll have time to develop and get stronger.

Re: You nfl draft experts explain Mitch to me

Apr 27, 2019, 12:45 AM

Uh , I can't understand where your concern with our O line is , friend .
Was our O Line not good enough to take us to the playoffs 4 years in a row?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 8:21 AM

Never said anything about our oline. I’m arguing the opposite. I thought Mitch would go really high based on how great he was for us.

Exactly why I posted the question. I read the scouting reports on him and see all these negatives and wonder where these negatives were all along... I don’t consider them negative. Please don’t get me wrong, just shocked he hasn’t been picked yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i've heard he . . .

Apr 27, 2019, 12:47 AM

Is Not big enough in the butt (meaning, he is too light)

Has small hands (whaaat???) . . . The better to NOT hold you with?!!!

Is a technician . . . Isn't that what you wish all OL were?!!!

Hasn't progressed very much . . . He came in good and stayed that way!!!

Look, in 4 years he gave up how many sacks . . . two . . . maybe?

If that's bad . . . GIVE ME TEN MORE JUST LIKE HIM . . . TODAY!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i've heard he . . .

Apr 27, 2019, 12:50 AM

Agree. He is a great player!

Re: i've heard he . . .

Apr 27, 2019, 8:25 AM [ in reply to i've heard he . . . ]

I totally agree with both of you. I’ll take 10 just like him. I’m disappointed in all the projections and really thought he’d be picked higher.

Overrated coming out of high school

Apr 27, 2019, 1:59 AM

For some reason it’s easy to overrate o-linemen. I’ve seen this before. Auburn got some kid from SV High school years ago. Top OT in the country. The kid barely even started at Auburn.

As for Mitch Hyatt, he never got better the last few years. You look at his body type and compare it to Jackson Carmen you’ll see what the scouts see.

The 2020 class looks to be our best yet at OL, but people aren’t wrong. We are not elite at OL or LB.

He wasnt overrated coming out of HS

Apr 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

He was just a much more finished product than most OL prospects so he had a very high floor but limited upside and the NFL draft is very much about upside and traits because they can teach technique.

That’s what’s hurting Mitch, he’s basically tapped out his potential. He should still be a solid OL in the NFL but the first 3 rounds are about finding starter-quality guys and I don’t think that’s Mitch at the next level.

Apr 27, 2019, 2:26 AM

The more you watch the NFL draft, the less any of it makes sense. As a Giants fan, I’m still trying to wrap my head around taking Daniel Jones at pick #6.

When it comes to grading OL prospects for the NFL, they pick them apart. God forbid you’re not 6’7” 335lbs at 22 years old these days. It’s basically a foregone conclusion that you’re a bust, regardless of how stout your resume and film are. Sucks.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:13 AM

Its a different game at the next left. Nothing odd about Hyatt's situation. He will have his chance.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: You nfl draft experts explain Mitch to me ]

I agree with you. There is a stigma and if you aren’t what they want you to be no matter the tape then you aren’t good enough. All Mitch needs to worry about is getting on with a team and proving the doubters wrong from there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 2:53 AM

Similar to Tahj Boyd, is an excellent college player whose game may not translate to the NFL. Time will tell

Apr 27, 2019, 8:39 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I think Caldwell gets a bad wrap. I still think whoever picks him up will be pleasantly surprised with his work ethic and I’m pulling hard he’ll be blocking in the nfl in the near future.

the NFL gets really caught up in measurables

Apr 27, 2019, 8:51 AM

He's not quite got the arm length of an NFL left tackle. Hes a little undersized. Like a lot of people are saying I think he'll do well at guard in the NFL.

He doesn't fit the prototypical left tackle they are searching for

Re: the NFL gets really caught up in measurables

Apr 27, 2019, 9:02 AM

He's almost the exact same weight as Jonah Williams and has longer arms than him.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:10 AM

Ok my personal take.. I thought mitch took to run blocking with a nastiness and physicality his freshman year. That attitude seemed to fall off after freshman year.

While I think his technique improved some. Hes not a flashy pancake blocking type guy but he's steady and he does his job.

The Bengals took Jonah Williams to play guard because of his similar measurables

Apr 27, 2019, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: the NFL gets really caught up in measurables ]

He's almost the exact same weight as Jonah Williams and has longer arms than him.

Hyatt should go in Round 4. ESPN has him rated as the 13th OT. He is only 305lb which is definitely light for an NFL Tackle and he showed pretty average athletic ability at combine and pro day.

Why does everyone keep saying he is undersized?

Apr 27, 2019, 9:15 AM [ in reply to the NFL gets really caught up in measurables ]

He's the exact same size as Jonah Williams, the #11 pick.
They are both about 6'5" and about 305 to 310 lbs. How
big do you need to be? David Bakhtari of Green Bay is
considered one of the best if not the best OTs in the NFL
and is about the same size and others like Tyron Smith of
Dallas are a little bigger but have been in the league for
years. I think Hyatt has been consistent at Clemson for
4 years and made the jump from HS to true freshman starter
and can do the same in the NFL and continue developing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does everyone keep saying he is undersized?

Apr 27, 2019, 9:21 AM

It's not as if he wont get his chance.

Re: Why does everyone keep saying he is undersized?

Apr 27, 2019, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Why does everyone keep saying he is undersized? ]

The first one is Mitch. The second is a all pro LT. The difference is obvious. Mitch has been a extremely consistent Baller. I doubt anyone questions his play ability, but he hasn't gained more than 10 lbs. In 4 years and hasn't shown the commitment to transforming his body in the weight room. Some of these kids go from 230 as freshman to 320 to fill out as O lineman. If mitch had better developed his body arms etc. I believe he goes in the 1st round without question.

He may need to get stronger for the next level.***

Apr 27, 2019, 10:03 AM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic