Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yesterday was 50th Anniv of WOODSTOCK; Anybody on here attend?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Yesterday was 50th Anniv of WOODSTOCK; Anybody on here attend?

Aug 16, 2019, 6:50 PM

Didn't think so!

Even well-versed, well-travel & eclectic JOE21 had more sense than to smoke, dope & sit in cow mature during rain storm for days.

Would have loved to have been one of the 25-35,000 fans who remained til the am (after 350,000 had already left due to weather & delays) who heard Jimi Hendrix tear up that electric guitar playing THE Star Spangled Banner!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*** would have gone but I was 2 months old******

Aug 16, 2019, 7:02 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yesterday was 50th Anniv of WOODSTOCK; Anybody on here attend?

Aug 16, 2019, 7:13 PM

WXPN is broadcasting the entire festival- announcements and everything. The full schedule is on the website.

http://xpn.org/about-xpn/ways-to-stream-wxpn

Aug 16, 2019, 7:17 PM

Schedule: https://thekey.xpn.org/2019/08/14/xpnstock-schedule/

Aug 16, 2019, 7:14 PM

I was a freshman at Clemson in 1971.

There were some students that did attend.

My freshman roommate from Long Island attended the Concert for Bangladesh over Christmas Break 1971.

He had to explain it to this "redneck from the South" when he got back!

He changed my musical tastes!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I was 14 - remember seeing reports.......

Aug 16, 2019, 7:17 PM

of it on the news each night.

I was 13 we had just landed at Kadena AFB Okinawa US held

Aug 16, 2019, 7:32 PM

territory. I dig the music not the politics. I found it especially funny that my favorite guitarist Pete Townshend threw the propagandist Abbie Hoffman off the stage during the show. At 13 years old I’m sure my biggest thrill would have been the topless women in the cow pond.
I did see Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green) and Blue Oyster Cult at Charlie T’s or Y beach sometime around that time period. I could not drive so I was just along for the ride with my older cousins.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was 13 we had just landed at Kadena AFB Okinawa US held

Aug 16, 2019, 7:37 PM

I wanted to go but didn't think my Rambler station wagon could make the trip. 70 mph top end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 10 then, but I work with a guy who was there.

Aug 16, 2019, 7:35 PM

He has some good stories.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 16, 2019, 8:18 PM

I was there...nine months before I was born. Went with my daddy and came home with my mama !!

Aug 16, 2019, 9:00 PM

Pics? Need proof

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 4. I am sure Joe21 was there and has an awesome story

Aug 16, 2019, 8:19 PM

we would all enjoy!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No woodstock, but I was at Love Valley in NC...

Aug 16, 2019, 8:36 PM

traveled from Clemson to Love Valley in my VW bug with a guy named Rocky in the summer of 1970. I did get to see the Allman Brothers there...drank a lot of Boone's Farm wine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Aug 16, 2019, 8:37 PM

had to work.probably wouldn't have gone anyway.did catch the movie though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 16, 2019, 9:12 PM

I didn't go because it didn't seem to be that much fun(wrong) but I did get to party with janis Joplin for a weekend and she was thoughtful and a wonderful person.

Aug 16, 2019, 9:19 PM

Would have been a long drive for me from Vietnam.

Aug 16, 2019, 10:03 PM

I was at CLEMSON during that time as a student, but some of my friends that I hung with went to that. I chose not to do drugs, but some of my friends used and pushed drugs. I was okay with them doing their thing, and they were okay with me. They had some tales when they returned. Since I did not do drugs, I would probably have been like a brown pair of shoes with a black tuxedo at Woodstock. I missed some awesome music though. I always regretted that part.

Honestly, most in Clemson only heard about it on the news ..

Aug 16, 2019, 10:33 PM

... after it was already underway.

I don’t know of anyone from Clemson who actually considered going all the way up there.

I think it was mostly a Northeastern thing.

I also think the estimates of “half a million people” are ridiculous looking at aerial photos showing what looks to be not a lot more than what we see in Death Valley week to week.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 10:40 PM

I was too young to attend, but have watched the movie. The music was great!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sorry but was being trained in advanced warfare

Aug 16, 2019, 10:54 PM

at the time with no hope for leave.Was lucky to be allowed to view moon landing during the night hours.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 10:55 PM

I was 8 weeks old , so my memory is a little foggy on my whereabouts that weekend .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I was there!

Aug 17, 2019, 12:54 AM

Yeah, and I still have the tickets to prove it.

I was 18 years old. I was born in Queens, NY, grew up in Massapequa, Long Island. Started driving around 11 PM Friday night, and had to ditch the car because the roads were jammed solid around 1 AM. Walked all night long for miles through the cars and the rain to arrive at Max Yasgur's farm.

Saturday afternoon early was un-organized. Recorded music (mostly Suite Judy Blue Eyes by CSN) followed by occasional performers like Grateful Dead and Country Joe.

By late afternoon they got their act together and the concert began. And what a concert.

There was Mountain with Leslie West.

Then we heard Creedence Clearwater Revival - they were great.

Then ... JANIS JOPLIN! She was unflippabilievalbe awesome! Truly the best live performance I will ever see in my life!

Then a party - Sly and the Family Stone. Today - yeah, they weren't too good. That Saturday night - they were totally awesome. It was a stupendous party with a half million of your friends.

What - you want more?

Oh yeah, then there was THE WHO! Yeah - awesome!

It was great, I loved it ...... OH WAIT, still not done.

Yeah, then there was Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick. They started at 5 AM and played until 8 AM. Completely ridiculous.

Well I could say a lot more. But 50 years ago tonight I was on a hillside on Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, NY. And tonight I'm thinking I am really, really glad I was there.

One year later attended Atlanta Woodstock with many of same performers?

Aug 17, 2019, 12:56 AM

300,000 at Atlanta . Most spectacular was Jimi Hendrix playing Star Spangled Banner at midnight July 4th then setting his guitar ablaze, and Santana's SOUL SURVIVOR. I spent a lot of time at cool creek with lots of nudity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic