Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could there ever be a 60 - 0 class?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Could there ever be a 60 - 0 class?

May 19, 2019, 9:01 AM

And is the 2018 class (15 - 0 and counting) that class?

55 - 4 is a heck of a record. It will be hard to beat it. I'm guessing the 2018 class will best that record. Is it conceivable though that they could graduate without a loss in 4 years?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Yes. They just have to win all the games***

May 19, 2019, 9:03 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, you sure get it!

May 19, 2019, 9:06 AM

The question is whether it's even conceivable that a class could accomplish that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be no problem as long as we don't overlook Wyoming in '21***

May 19, 2019, 9:12 AM

Here's the thing - and your tongue-in-cheek

May 19, 2019, 9:21 AM

reply brings it up. We may be favored in every game for the next several years. Barring a rash of injuries, our depth is ridiculous and should overwhelm nearly every opponent we'll face. So keep the hunger and focus and we should win every game.

So, while it's really hard to imagine going 60-0, I expect to win 'em all and would be shocked to lose a game. Crazy?

4-year records by incoming class

May 19, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Should be no problem as long as we don't overlook Wyoming in '21*** ]

There's no arguing the trend!
2010 - 38-15
2011 - 42-11
2012 - 46-8
2013 - 49-7
2014 - 50-7
2015 - 55-4
2016 - 41-3 Another 15-0 sets the new standard of excellence! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's good stuff right there

May 19, 2019, 9:45 AM

Unmistakable trend. Common sense would dictate you can't win 'em all, but I've come to the point where I expect the Tigers to do just that.

Re: Yes. They just have to win all the games***

May 19, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Yes. They just have to win all the games*** ]

lets see undefeated in 2018, 1981,1948

May 19, 2019, 9:48 AM

4 in a row looks easy! Even though we only did it 3 times in 100 plus years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent point. But as crazy as it sounds,

May 19, 2019, 9:54 AM

who do you think can compete besides Bama?

There's another element...

May 19, 2019, 10:11 AM

In the previous millennium, recruits didn't know where other players were going...nor were there limits on schollies.

Now, recruits do know where the talent is headed and, in many instances, they know the talent personally. No doubt, there are players who LOVE the limelight, the 'ME' moments. Flip side, there are actually players who simply want the right experience...for themselves. Clemson has created that world...a place where the athlete can be themselves and grow into their best version.

Clemson has tapped into how to bridge values many of us grew up with combined with how to relate to today's scholar-athlete...and especially, those athletes whose on parents espouse similar virtues. It's why three D-Linemen returned when they didn't have to...a very special environment exists.

OK, so given the culture Dabo has created,

May 19, 2019, 11:41 AM

would you say 60-0 is conceivable, or not?

Re: OK, so given the culture Dabo has created,

May 19, 2019, 12:37 PM

Absolutely conceivable. Dabo's culture is so far and away ahead of the rest of the college landscape it's almost laughable. Now, is it realistic? Given the 'one game at a time' mentality, it's more realistic at Clemson than anywhere else...and it's not even close. All the same, 15 down...and the next one is the most important. Do that 45 more times! ;)

Re: Excellent point. But as crazy as it sounds,

May 19, 2019, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Excellent point. But as crazy as it sounds, ]

I didn't think Troy, NC St, Pitt, or Cuse could compete the past few years but we won a couple close ones and lost a couple close ones to those teams. A&M can surely compete. FSU may turn it around. We always seem to have a close game against a team we should beat by 20+. We could win them all 4 years in a row but it is highly unlikely.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So would you say it's conceivable?***

May 19, 2019, 11:56 AM

Theoretically, yes. If we're favored in every game

May 19, 2019, 12:06 PM

for the next three years you could argue the 2018 class SHOULD go 60-0.

Practically speaking, no. There are too many variables. Key injuries being the most likely. And what if something like a flu epidemic struck one week. What if BV and/or TE took a HC job? For that matter, what if a bunch of position coaches leave for promotions at other schools? So, practically speaking, I doubt it will ever be done.

I still expect to be favored in every game for the foreseeable future and win them all. So there's that.

Sure. It's just probably never going to happen unless

May 19, 2019, 9:51 AM

the CFB landscape changes dramatically. It's harder than ever to go unbeaten now with conference title games and two playoff games against the best teams in the country

In the old days before the BCS you could go 11-0 and then play one team ranked anywhere from 1 to like 10. It was much easier to string together 2 or 3 unbeaten seasons under those conditions.

Well a class couldn't go 60-0 without the

May 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

potential of a 15-game season. So, naturally, I'm talking about the current landscape.

Well by landscape i meant perhaps something

May 19, 2019, 12:32 PM

changes to create a very large imbalance or the possibility of a super team. Something of that nature.

Right now it's not going to happen. Very little chance we even go 15-0 again next year, much less 2 more years on top of that. Hopefully when we do drop a game it will in the regular season and we will survive it.

Fair enough

May 19, 2019, 8:43 PM

I don't see us losing a game through the ACCCG. We get aTm at home. Cuse won't be anything special without Dungey. FSU is a dumpster fire. UofSUC is pathetic. Who is going to keep us from going 13-0?

The thing that does give me some concern is the fact no #1 seed has won the crown.

Now, certain injuries could change everything. Remain healthy, though, and we make the CFP undefeated and #1.

64-0 is possible

May 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

or 75-0, depending on how you look at it.

No, but there will be one

May 19, 2019, 11:46 AM

On January 13

My bad!

May 19, 2019, 11:48 AM

Jan 13 will mark 30 - 0!

I say no. At some point over the next four years,

May 19, 2019, 12:33 PM

there will be a Pitt ('16) or a Syracuse ('17) game. It's happened twice in 3 years, so I just feel like it's too much to believe we'd be undefeated over four years.

However, I think there is a marginal chance we have four straight NCs.

A college football season is a long, grueling road

May 19, 2019, 8:49 PM

And I’m thinking back to when a 10 game season was normal.

I’m sure the way we play guys keeps legs a little more fresh than the average team, but there are going to be mental let downs, multiple ones.

I’d say the chances are less than 50%

Re: Could there ever be a 60 - 0 class?

May 19, 2019, 9:05 PM

Bud Wilkerson won 47 consecutive games at Oklahoma from 1953-1957. That's the most in college football history. Miami had a good run in the early 2000's of 30 I think. I would say the odds on winning the lottery may be better than going 60-0, but hey, I'll take it!!

May 19, 2019, 9:37 PM

Miami and USC had runs of 34. There was much talk of those teams breaking Wilkerson’s 47. Both lost in national title games in big upsets. It happens to the best. So much pressure in streaks like that and greatest team of all time talk during the season is a kiss of death.

May 19, 2019, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Could there ever be a 60 - 0 class? ]

Unlimited scholarships

So, the only reason there wasn't a 60-0 class then

May 20, 2019, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Could there ever be a 60 - 0 class? ]

is the fact they didn't play 15 games. You could guess that 44-0 class would have been 60-0 under today's format. The biggest argument against that is the parity created by the 85 scholarship limit.

To that I say Dabo is creating a monster. His 85 are becoming far and away better than the 85 at practically every other school. Besides Bama, who is going to compete?

It may be much more difficult for a class to go undefeated these days, but we're talking about Dabo. He's a different cat. One day he'll be universally recognized as the GOAT. If 60-0 will ever be done, my money is on Dabo to do it.

It's possible

May 19, 2019, 11:09 PM

but I wouldn't put any money on it.

May 19, 2019, 11:13 PM

NO, Rule #66 prevents the possibility of such an occurrence.

So, the maf part of this is tuff...

May 20, 2019, 7:23 AM

...with only nineteen fingers and toes...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's only unthinkable

May 20, 2019, 9:59 AM

if you don't think it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic