Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
She says climate change is a crisis and an emergency
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 105
| visibility 1

She says climate change is a crisis and an emergency

Mar 27, 2019, 4:23 PM

Climate change is "costing us lives + destroying communities.

Iowa, Nebraska & many in the Midwest are catastrophically flooded right now, in one of the 1st major climate change disasters of 2019.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1110667881539342337

But yet she is beside herself when its put up for a vote, and summarily bypassed by her own party.

She wants hearings. How long do they take? Months? Years? We took almost no time on ACA and thats costing us trillions in waste, but on this that is so important (even more than helath care?) she wants...hearings.

I don't think she knows what she wants.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1110666127644991493

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Equating every weather event to man-made climate change is like the

Mar 27, 2019, 4:27 PM

quiet hum of the air conditioning that I use to hasten the coming apocalypse.

It is constant and you barely notice it anymore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I just love how global warming became climate change

Mar 27, 2019, 4:34 PM

It's like ok, we can't prove warming, let's hedge our bets and claim that what has always happened is somehow abnormal now.

####, a crisis would be if the climate did NOT change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just love how global warming became climate change

Mar 27, 2019, 4:38 PM

We can prove warming. We measure it every year.

And the term climate change dates back in studies to at least 1956. "They" never changed it, they're just both terms for the same basic thing.

So if it gets colder, it's no longer change?***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just want to know what the right temperature is.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:57 PM

I don't know how to aim for something if i don't have a target.

Al I get is "cooler than it is now. Wouldn't it be equally as bad if we had global cooling?

Re: I just want to know what the right temperature is.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:58 PM

So if your blood pressure is 140/90, would it be a bad thing to get it down to 120/80? Falling blood pressure is a bad thing, right?

This seems like an apples to doughnuts comparison.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:04 PM

We know an exact range of blood pressure what is good.

I have no idea what range of global warming, or cooling, or temperature status quo, or ntaural cyclical weather swings are good. Do you?

What if we have less natural disasters with warmer temps? I don't think we have a long enough time span to measure from to tell us what is good vs what is bad.

If you know what we should be aiming for, let us know.

Re: This seems like an apples to doughnuts comparison.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:08 PM

We want to be on the baseline of the natural climate. In other words, normal.

The rate of change is the problem. Changes that should happen over thousands of years are happening in 10,so people can't adapt.

What is "normal"?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:08 PM

What is it we aren't adapting to?

The increased rate of change in the temperature

Mar 27, 2019, 5:14 PM

https://mashable.com/2018/02/14/what-is-earths-ideal-temperature/#vCWcRuUlYiqa

I gotta be honest here.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:20 PM

I stopped when I got called a "zombie" because I asked a pretty simple question.

They're calling the question a zombie

Mar 27, 2019, 5:22 PM

Not the people asking it. If you are undecided or asking about it honestly then keep reading.

Message was edited by: deweather

so did you keep reading? It answers your questions I think***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:47 PM

nope***

Mar 27, 2019, 6:04 PM

Shame, but expected.***

Mar 27, 2019, 6:09 PM

Read it, despite its liberal lean.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:14 PM [ in reply to nope*** ]

My favorite feel-good part of the article?

"Perhaps the answer to the "ideal temperature" question is that the best climate for humanity is one that is not rapidly careening toward tipping points in the climate system, but is steady and reliable, like that person in your life who will always be there for you no matter what."

I'm going to go shoot a pig and wreck my diesel truck. I feel better already.

Where's my hug?

Lulz..just...lulz.

You were never interested in an answer to your question

Mar 27, 2019, 6:19 PM

got it.

No, I am.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:21 PM

But but what they said is not really an answer. What they are essentially saying is that "it doesn't matter, as long as we have time to get used to it".

So thats not a target that can be achieved..ever.

I think it's more about slowing the rate of change

Mar 27, 2019, 6:46 PM

than trying to hit a specific temperature. Climate changes. As such, that means the temperature changes, so asking what the "ideal" temperature should be isn't a good one because there's never been an "ideal" specific temperature. It also doesn't make sense because what matters is the stability of the climate for our survival and not, necessarily, the temperature itself. As long as the temperature is on either a slow and natural incline, decline or is stable we, as a species, can adapt and survive. But when there is a sudden incline or decline in the temperature that we aren't able to adjust to quickly enough, then we are in trouble. That's what that article is saying.

Also confusing the issue about "ideal temperature" is that it is different for different ecosystems around the world. But like humans, those ecosystems can adapt if given enough time to a changing climate. So, again, the rate of change is what is important and not any specific number.

So what is the correct rate of change that we should be

Mar 28, 2019, 9:30 AM

aiming for?

I get it: ""less than it is now", right?

How can we ever get anywhere, if we have no target in mind?

CU17 says we need to get to Co2 levels of what they were before the "industrial revolution", so that would be some time when we were still using sails to do most of our travels.

The article says less than 2 degrees celcius

Mar 28, 2019, 11:35 AM

to slow the melting of ice flows and 1.5 to preserve coral reefs that are dying in warmer waters.

I thought you said you read it?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is "normal"?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to What is "normal"? ]

Normal is what it was before climate change. How many times do you want the same question answered?

So you don't really know, either.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:22 PM

Not surprising, really.

I've been hearing the climate has been changing for hundreds of years. Then I hear that we once had an ice age that covered most of America.

Which time frame are we talking about?

And without killing off half the planet, how do we intend to get back to the good old days of early climate change? Oh yeah..stop driving, stop flying, and rebuild every building n the US.

If I were you, I'd get used to the high tides.

Re: So you don't really know, either.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:32 PM

For the 4th time, the period before the Industrial Revolution, you dense moron.

It never takes long for the name calling to start

Mar 27, 2019, 5:40 PM

That always lends credibility to your stance.

So you want temps to stay where they were before that nebulous time of "industrial revolution", which started, depending on where you read, 300-400 years ago.

Do you think we can live in the same world, or anywhere near the same standard of living that we have now without ANY industrialization? Because that essentially what you are saying. Who will pay for that? How?

So I'll just wait for your next name calling post while you noodle on that for a bit. I mean, I'm the dense moron, so that should be an easy question to answer, right?

Personally, I don't want the Earth's temperature to stay the

Mar 27, 2019, 5:14 PM [ in reply to This seems like an apples to doughnuts comparison. ]

same. Something would be wrong if it did. I mean I love a high of about 78 and a low in the upper 50's. That's ideal. If the world had that temperature, I'd be concerned. Not to mention Yellowstone could erupt, a meteor could strike Earth, or the Sun could go dormant in some kind of cycle and impact the temperature and weather more than humans ever could.

Add to that the fact that overpopulation will inevitably cause a massive disease outbreak some day that will cull humanity far greater, and faster than climate change, it's just not on my crisis radar.

Climate change will make overpopulation much worse

Mar 27, 2019, 5:15 PM

they are connected.

How's that if we are dying from floods and hurricanes?

Aug 13, 2018, 3:29 PM

"3,000 Americans died in Hurricane María. The Midwest is drowning as we speak. "

Because people will have to move to urban areas

Mar 27, 2019, 5:36 PM

away from the coasts and plains, and others will have to move because of drought and famine. So many people crowded in smaller and smaller areas will lead to more civil unrest, disease, and death.

That's how.

again..if people are dying from starvation and disease

Mar 27, 2019, 5:43 PM

how is overpopulation getting worse?

One would tend to think that after a long enough time of starvation and disease, the issue of overpopulation would cure itself, and also, the issue of climate change.

This issue of "climate change" seems like a self critiquing problem.

Ah, I see what you're saying now I think.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:46 PM

There will be less people, but those people will be more concentrated in smaller and smaller areas with fewer and fewer resources. That's why climate change makes it worse, it adds to that over concentration of people and limiting of resources.

The cure you're describing about starvation and disease fixing overpopulation is one of extinction. I wouldn't say that's a cure.

I'm not sure how without less people we get to the

Oct 31, 2023, 7:53 AM

pre-industrial revolution levels of CO2 as CU17 referenced below as the time of the "right" temperature we should aim toward.

Motorized travel, farming, manufacturing, heating, cooling, electrical generation...all have negative effects toward greenhouse gases. There's really no way around that without drastically lowering the earths population. Just cutting back won't get you there. Stopping all of that and more probably won't.

It's a complex issue

Mar 27, 2019, 6:02 PM

and many think we've passed the point where we will be able to do anything to stop it but that's an even scarier reality to consider.

Me, and you, will be long gone by that time.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:06 PM

I don't spend much time on it, honestly.

But again, that's not what this thread was even about.

AOC got what she wanted, then figured out quickly it wasn't what she wanted, but continues to cry about it.

Doctors and the medical industry would disagree with you***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Climate change will make overpopulation much worse ]

wut?***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:37 PM

Re: wut?***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:47 PM

How many people do you know on Earth today who would be dead at their current age 300 years ago? I got plenty, my own self included. Oh wait, this is good. MAYBE, the increased carbon footprint is what has enabled humans to live three times longer today than through 99.9% of human history. Wouldn't that be a bummer to know increased carbon emissions allow people to live longer. But medicine is the biggest factor, industrialization is probably second.

DRs and the medical industry think climate change is good?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:55 PM

or that there isn't a connection between the effects of climate change on overpopulation? Or that they think we live longer because of the increased CO2 in the atmosphere?

Honestly, what in the world are you arguing here?

I'm arguing doctors contribute more to overpopulation than

climate change. By a factor of a bunch.

I'll add that mother nature will take care of humans long before we destroy the Earth through any kind of climate change.

I'm not saying climate change contributes to overpopulation

Mar 27, 2019, 6:13 PM

I'm arguing that climate change contributes to the negative impacts of overpopulation.

I think you'll find many scientists and doctors disagree with your last sentence.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

In the 70's they were predicitng a new Ice Age on the way, go figure.

"They" were a subset of scientist who observed a cooling trend that was local to regional and in some cases, based on faulty measuring equipment. There was also an incompetent understanding of the atmospheric effects of aerosols. Most papers published in the 1970's predicted a warning trend.

By 1980, the methods by which temperature data were gathered had improved, the science was better understood, and those scientists joined the majority.

here's a piece all about that issue...

Mar 27, 2019, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/that-70s-myth-did-climate-science-really-call-for-a-coming-ice-age/

Message was edited by: deweather

Mar 27, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

Just a partial list of articles from theat time frame:

News articles:
1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)
1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)
1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (Owosso Argus-Press, January 26, 1970)
1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970)
1970 – Cold Facts About Pollution (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970)
1970 – Dirt Will .Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970)
1971 – Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground (The Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971)
1971 – U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971)
1971 – Ice Age Around the Corner (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971)
1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971)
1971 – Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight (The Day, November 1, 1971)
1971 – Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971)
1972 – Air pollution may cause ice age (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972)
1972 – Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972)
1972 – Scientist predicts new ice age (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972)
1972 – British expert on Climate Change says Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972)
1972 – Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (Portsmouth Times, ?September 11, 1972?)
1972 – New Ice Age Slipping Over North (Press-Courier, September 11, 1972)
1972 – Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North (The Age, September 12, 1972)
1972 – Weather To Get Colder (Montreal Gazette, ?September 12, 1972?)
1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972)
1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972)
1972 – Science: Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972)
1973 – The Ice Age Cometh (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973)
1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973)
1974 – New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974)
1974 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974)
1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974)
1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974)
1974 – Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974)
1974 – Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, ?December 4, 1974?)
1974 – Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, ?December 5, 1974?)
1974 – More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel – ?December 5, 1974?)
1974 – Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 5, 1974)
1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous (The New York Times, January 19, 1975)
1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975)
1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975)
1975 – Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, ?March 2, 1975?)
1975 – Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator – ?March 2, 1975?)
1975 – Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975)
1975 – New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, ?March 2, 1975?)
1975 – There’s Troublesome Weather Ahead (Tri City Herald, ?March 2, 1975?)
1975 – Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, ?March 3, 1975?)
1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975)
1975 – The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975)
1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975)
1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975)
1975 – Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 11, 1975)
1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [Book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976)
1977 – Blizzard – What Happens if it Doesn’t Stop? [Book] (George Stone, 1977)
1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [Book] (The Impact Team, 1977)
1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976)
1977 – The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977)
1977 – We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977)
1978 – The New Ice Age [Book] (Henry Gilfond, 1978)
1978 – Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978)
1978 – Winters Will Get Colder, ‘we’re Entering Little Ice Age’ (Ellensburg Daily Record, January 10, 1978)
1978 – Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978)
1978 – It’s Going To Get Colder (Boca Raton News, ?January 17, 1978?)
1978 – Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978)
1978 – The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978)
1978 – An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978)
1979 – A Choice of Catastrophes – The Disasters That Threaten Our World [Book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979)
1979 – Get Ready to Freeze (Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979)
1979 – New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979)

Now, , this was all precipitated by several decades of cooling after a warming cycle . While we may have a need to be concerned over the warming trend the earth goes through cooling and warming periods all the time. We are being foolish to think we are impacting it to a point of total loss. Our mistakes have been building along the coasts. Just like everybody was going to have a total failure at Y2K right? I was forced to participate in some extremely foolish things in the hours after that event occured .

Mar 27, 2019, 5:50 PM

Not one scholarly article in all that. That's an embarrassing post, dude. I mean, you shouldn't die your face for a while.

Also, Y2K was a real thing. It was one of the greatest mobilizations to fix a problem in human history. Do you think giant corporations spent billions updating computers for nothing? By the time it became known in the media in 1998, it was pretty much solved, so the media hype was crap, but the initial problem was real. But if nothing had been done, it would have been a catastrophe.

Yours was an epic disaster of a post.

Say what?

Mar 27, 2019, 6:28 PM

We didn't mobilize to do anything for y2k until early 1999. I spent two days leading up to Jan 1 in a data center...all for a big fat nothing event.

It was an overblown hype. Remember the folks who moved to the mountains because of the chaos and end of the world predictions? Probably not. Elevators, escalators, ir traffic control radar. electric utility control PLC's..none of it cared care what year it was.

What is with you and your other lib friends with just making chit up? Between you Blam and Chuckston, it's just a never ending invented lie.

Re: Say what?

Mar 27, 2019, 6:35 PM

Hahahahahahaha hahaha. You honestly think we started dealing with y2k in 1999?

Dude, do you ever get tired of being wrong? Please answer that. You honestly believe companies spent half a trillion dollars in a few weeks?

Christ, Republicans are so stupid.

https://thenextweb.com/dd/2017/10/26/developers-wish-people-remember-big-deal-y2k-bug/

“We”? I have no idea what you were doing in 1999

Mar 27, 2019, 9:58 PM

I know the company i worked that had about 400 wintel servers and 2 IBM mainframes started then, and determined the money and overtime they spent on it was a tremendous waste.

Id imagine you only read about what happened. I was there, doing it, and heading up teams mitigating what might happen. It was waste of time and money, an overblown expense.

Keep on thinking and calling us all stupid. You'll be right there on the outside looking in again in 2020, saying how stupid we are..still. You snd your ilk just don't seem to learn.

Re: “We”? I have no idea what you were doing in 1999

Mar 28, 2019, 6:40 AM

So because your inept company waited until 1999 to address a problem that competent people had known about for 20 years, you think that's indicative of how it worked worldwide?

Hahahaha

inept.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:32 AM

Their probably still taking your money every pay period.

BTW..how was middle school for you in 1999? My gut feel here is that you've read a few articles on Y2k, but its ancient history to you.

Re: inept.

Mar 28, 2019, 11:24 AM

I would imagine y2k was 19 years ago for everyone.

If you are aware of some different way time works for some people, clue us in.

How long ago was it for you? Are the voices telling you to hurt yourself?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

Not one scholarly article in all that. That's an embarrassing post, dude. I mean, you shouldn't die your face for a while.

Also, Y2K was a real thing. It was one of the greatest mobilizations to fix a problem in human history. Do you think giant corporations spent billions updating computers for nothing? By the time it became known in the media in 1998, it was pretty much solved, so the media hype was crap, but the initial problem was real. But if nothing had been done, it would have been a catastrophe.

Yours was an epic disaster of a post.

A more optimistic example to bring up is the ozone layer

Mar 27, 2019, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

and the hole that was created by the CFCs that humans were putting into the atmosphere. Studies showed that if nothing was done the hole would have gotten 40% larger by 2013*. But, an international agreement was created (Montreal protocol) that phased out the production and consumption of things like CFCs (note: the products and industries that used CFCs adapted and were not destroyed by this). Now, the ozone layer is quickly healing and is expected to fully heal in the next few decades.

The parallels to the climate change argument is pretty clear.

*https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8233
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ozone-hole-was-super-scary-what-happened-it-180957775/

Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to I just love how global warming became climate change ]

Actually, there would be no concern at all if there was no climate change since the Industrial Revolution. If the climate were on a natural cycle, it would be basically the same as it was in 1750.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:45 PM

Actually there were graphs on NOAA at one time that showed the mean temp and variance for the past 10k year, no longet there since this all became an emergency. Temps vaired from the mean 1.5 degress over that span, also some interesting charts that had mean temp cycles for the past 750k years modeled. There was roughly a high peak to low trough of roughly 5 degrees and it took 250k year from peak to peak to complete the cycle.

Something ended the ice age...

Mar 27, 2019, 5:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I just love how global warming became climate change ]

guessing it was dinosaur f arts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woah, I thought you were more educated on this than that.***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:25 PM [ in reply to I just love how global warming became climate change ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Be fair. It evolved.

Mar 27, 2019, 8:36 PM [ in reply to I just love how global warming became climate change ]

It's in your face proof of evolution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The people doing the opposite aren't very sharp, either

Mar 27, 2019, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Equating every weather event to man-made climate change is like the ]

But it is smart PR, since of course it's going to continue to get cold and snow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll bet my bottom dollar that somewhere in the US this year

Mar 27, 2019, 4:39 PM

there will be a drought, flooding, a tornado, hail and bad thunderstorms, a blizzard, and a hurricane or tropical storm, heat waves, and frigid temperatures.

Re: I'll bet my bottom dollar that somewhere in the US this year

In other words, you're predicting that weather will exist. That's bold.

Yeah, as bold as the climate changing.***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:41 PM

Re: Yeah, as bold as the climate changing.***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:42 PM

Both weather and climate change are observed. So yes, I would say predicting that either of them will continue to exist is equal levels of "bold."

and then you have senators like Mike Lee...

Mar 27, 2019, 4:30 PM

“The solution to climate change is not this unserious resolution, but the serious business of human flourishing – the solution to so many of our problems, at all times and in all places: fall in love, get married, and have some kids”

We got some real dum dums in Congress on both sides

I saw that.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:32 PM

but had I not looked at here twitter gibberish, I would never have seen it.

Why is she literally on every newscast almost every day?

Both sides are obsessed with her

Mar 27, 2019, 4:53 PM

so I guess the media wants to give their audience what they want to see?

Re: She says climate change is a crisis and an emergency

Mar 27, 2019, 4:31 PM

I guess it is not a big deal if you believe we can afford to spend several hundred billion a year in disaster relief. Harvey alone in cost us 120 billion.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You guess WHAT is not a big deal?

Mar 27, 2019, 4:33 PM

Do you think if we stopped emitting C02 tomorrow we'd stop having hurricanes?

Re: You guess WHAT is not a big deal?

Mar 27, 2019, 4:34 PM

Has anyone ever suggested such a thing? Why do you guys act so dumb?

Good talk, russ.***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:53 PM

Re: You guess WHAT is not a big deal?

Mar 27, 2019, 4:37 PM [ in reply to You guess WHAT is not a big deal? ]

you really ask a lot of dumb questions

Good answer***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:01 PM

Re: Good answer***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:30 PM

you should see the giant hurricane on Jupiter that has been ravaging that planet for the last 1000 years. fluid dynamics is some fascinating ####.

https://www.space.com/23708-jupiter-great-red-spot-longevity.html

Yeah, I remember the class.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:03 PM

A quick google tells me that "Jupiter is made up predominantly of hydrogen. The simple, basic gas, a prime ingredient on the sun, accounts for 90 percent of the atmosphere. Nearly 10 percent is composed of helium. A very small fraction of the atmosphere is made up of compounds such as ammonia, sulfur, methane, and water vapor."

It doesn't have any occurring CO2, but yet has pressure induced storms that last hundreds of years. The surface is about 250 degrees F, despite being 7 times further from the sun than we are.

So aside from not being a livable planet for us, whats your point?

All crises notwithstanding, I'd put illegal immigration as a

bigger crisis than climate change. So do the American people per the polls.

Re: All crises notwithstanding, I'd put illegal immigration as a***

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bunch of idiots, everyone except you I guess.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:25 PM

Please take note of the placement of climate change in these polls. It's a consistent loser.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244367/top-issues-voters-healthcare-economy-immigration.aspx

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx

We'll move over to Pew..

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/02/04/state-of-the-union-2019-how-americans-see-major-national-issues/

Here, how about Reuters...humm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-immigration/immigration-top-issue-for-us-voters-economy-a-close-second-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1JV31K

Actual poll results:
http://newsdata.reuters.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/polling/#!response/TR112/type/day/dates/20180628-20180702/collapsed/true

So yeah, immigration is consistently at or near the top of the issues that concern voters and climate change is consistently at or near the bottom. Idiots, all of them right? Please, I hope the dems keep on pushing their climate change Green New Deal, etc. May also want to note Trump had the toughest stance on immigration of all candidates last election, pub or dem.

Yet Senators like Mitch McConnell and Lamar Alexander agree with her that it's a crisis. Alexander was on NPR yesterday saying that the GOP intends to lead the way in combating man-made climate change.

Mar 27, 2019, 4:41 PM

cap and trade was their idea after all.

So why does she want her craziness to get stuck in hearings

Mar 27, 2019, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: She says climate change is a crisis and an emergency ]

and not go right to a vote?

Seems like she got what she intended..not what ever if it is she wanted.

Re: So why does she want her craziness to get stuck in hearings

it is obviously a win for her because we here right now having this conversation.

How is nothing happening a win for her?***

Mar 27, 2019, 4:58 PM

Re: How is nothing happening a win for her?***

it is a win if it consumes the news cycle, which it has.

and I do not get you conservatives on this topic. For me I really honestly and truely wish this was all a hoax and nothing to worry about. I really do feel this way, but I have a tough time believing that there is some sort global conspiracy here. I trust the science behind this in the same way our astronauts trust the science of strapping themselves to a rocket and going into space.

My OP wasn't even about climate change.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:18 PM

But you and CU17 certainly have moved that goal post.

Re: My OP wasn't even about climate change.

Mar 27, 2019, 5:21 PM

Why do you guys get such a kick out of acting stupid?

I don;t know how I forget?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:24 PM

The dems are always the smart ones.

Continue with that attitude, and we'll see how it ends for you, again, in 2020. You can continue to wonder why you keep losing, and why everyone else is so stupid.

Re: I don;t know how I forget?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:26 PM

and there it is, the victim card.

Who is the victim?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:30 PM

Apparently AOC gets what she wants--a bill to go before a vote, and then cries about it. (this is what the original topic was, BTW.)

The Dems continue to think everyone who doesn't think lock step with them are stupid, which is the very reason they lost against a buffoon like Trump.

I ask a question about AOC, and you a CU17 beat each off changing the topic to climate change, and then you tell me I'm stupid.

Its like a bizzaro world poltical forum.

Re: Who is the victim?

Mar 27, 2019, 5:54 PM

my bad, I thought this was a thread about climate change when it is really a pile on AOC thread.

Did you read the first post?

Mar 27, 2019, 6:03 PM

Yeah.."your bad".

Re: Did you read the first post?

Mar 27, 2019, 6:44 PM

odd isn't it, I saw the words Climate change in the topic and jumped to conclusions.

Seems pretty typical for you, really.***

Mar 27, 2019, 9:59 PM

Found a gif of that Esquire writer...

Hey bright bulbs, hoos gonna stop China & India

Mar 27, 2019, 4:46 PM

from polluting all their CO2? Their emissions are much larger than ours....
per GDP.

Re: Hey bright bulbs, hoos gonna stop China & India

Mar 27, 2019, 4:49 PM

china is a investing far more money than the US in renewable energy sources and India is not far behind the US.

Re: Hey bright bulbs, hoos gonna stop China & India

Mar 27, 2019, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Hey bright bulbs, hoos gonna stop China & India ]

You do it by getting the US back into the Paris Agreement, meeting our own goals, and using that as leverage to put pressure on other countries. Not only would it be huge leverage, it would make the US the leader in innovative energy technology, which would cause the counties who don't meet their goals to fall behind in global competition.

China is gonna do whatever the hayell they wanna do

Mar 27, 2019, 4:59 PM

No dayem Accord will change that.....

I don't know where you get your info dude

Mar 27, 2019, 5:12 PM

because china outspends us 3-1 on renewable energy tech, and their economy is still much smaller than ours. they invest around 250 billion annually in this, which represents half of the global spending on renewable energy sources.

https://qz.com/1247527/for-every-1-the-us-put-into-renewable-energy-last-year-china-put-in-3/

They have to, balm, China is a chithole

Filthy rivers, can’t ever see the sun. Have you been there? I have a dozen times.
You’re getting caught up in their BS, you hate ‘Murica so much!

China HAS TO SPEND that much money!

Mar 27, 2019, 6:08 PM [ in reply to I don't know where you get your info dude ]

To clean up the chithole over there! We don’t have to spend near as much because we already have over the decades and we were never the chithole China is now.

Re: China HAS TO SPEND that much money!

Mar 27, 2019, 6:35 PM

my lord you are obtuse, but I still like you bengaline.

Yeah, that’s me, Mr Obtuse!

Mar 27, 2019, 9:41 PM

That how I feel after a filet at Ruth Chris tonite ??

Re: Yeah, that’s me, Mr Obtuse!

Mar 27, 2019, 9:46 PM

Tigerbalm1®

Bengaline bringing fire.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Yeah, that’s me, Mr Obtuse! ]

He cooked Tigerbalm1® like his well done steak from Ruth's Chris last night!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

She's a dingbat.***

Mar 27, 2019, 8:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 105
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic