Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
World Cup Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

World Cup Question

Jun 28, 2019, 3:28 PM

For you soccer experts out there: live stats showing as 4(0) and 3(3) for "shots on goal". What does that mean?

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: World Cup Question

Jun 28, 2019, 3:31 PM

Shots on goal vs shots on target.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, but....

Jun 28, 2019, 3:36 PM

...what does "on target" mean? Did the opposing goalie have to make a "save" and if not "on target" did the shot just miss?

TIA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks, but....

Jun 28, 2019, 3:42 PM

Those shots that his the side netting or that are just launched over the goal into the crowd are not on target. A shot that hits a cross bar isnt on target unless it goes it. Basically any shot that would go in if it were not blocked by someone is a shot on target.

Big help! Thanks. **

Jun 28, 2019, 3:45 PM

nm

Yeah none of that is correct

Jun 28, 2019, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks, but.... ]

The numbers are shots and shots on goal in parentheses

There isn’t a stat to track shots on target because a shot on goal is a shot on target

Actually, both of you are correct.

Jun 28, 2019, 4:09 PM

Different nomenclature, a distinction without a difference...

Re: Yeah none of that is correct

Jun 28, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Yeah none of that is correct ]

Ummm no it isnt actually. Look it up. Youre wrong.

Jun 28, 2019, 4:27 PM

Only spent my whole life playing or watching soccer

Check the picture out. Clearly says “Shots (On Goal)”

Use your brain for 2 seconds and you’d understand why it would be stupid to have 2 separate stats of shots on goal and shots on target. You likely got confused with the nomenclature of one place using shots on target in place of shots on goal.

Jun 28, 2019, 5:12 PM

Yeah me too. My entire life. They have those seperatr stats all of the time. Do a quick google search and you will see they have shots on target all of the time. Its a stat. Google shots on goal vs shots on target. That should be enough.

Prove it

Jun 28, 2019, 7:01 PM

Show me one box score where shots on target and shots on goal are both listed for the same game

Re: Prove it

Jun 29, 2019, 1:17 AM

Every game maybe. You're just not understanding the semantics of it.

This is great...

Jun 29, 2019, 5:45 AM [ in reply to Prove it ]

Really great.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

That has to be shopped, where are the purses?***

Jun 29, 2019, 10:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah none of that is correct ]

Love ya bro but he is right. There is a stat for shots and then a stat for shots on target/goal. On target or on goal is the same thing.

Jun 29, 2019, 1:15 AM

Exactly. That's is my point.

Its total shots and shots on goal

Jun 28, 2019, 5:00 PM

Shots on goal and shots on target are indeed the same thing.

Re: Its total shots and shots on goal

Jun 28, 2019, 5:23 PM

Splitting hairs. Semantics. All shots are shots on goal. They are defined by the results.

Not all shots are shots on goal

Jun 28, 2019, 6:59 PM

Hence why they track shots vs shots on goal

Re: Not all shots are shots on goal

Jun 29, 2019, 1:13 AM

Hence why thy track shots on goal and shots on target. You're dumber than dirt. Same thing.

soccer is probably the least stat driven sport out there

Jun 28, 2019, 6:00 PM

very different than baseball.

Re: soccer is probably the least stat driven sport out there

Jun 29, 2019, 1:14 AM

Yet they keep stats. A lot of them.

Re: soccer is probably the least stat driven sport out there

Jun 29, 2019, 8:42 AM

Yeah, Opta stats is getting to be a big thing in soccer. Measures all sorts of things and tracks how efficiently you do things, especially completing passes.

As a soccer coach, I always tell my players: every possession should end with (cough) either a shot on goal (won't beat that horse anymore) or a completed pass...if it doesn't, you messed up somewhere and turned the ball over. That's exactly what Opta tracks.

BUT I'm not a maniac about that, especially in the final third. Teams that are obsessed with possession, possession, possession all turn into tiki-taka teams, aimless possession without purpose, and they never take chances or go to goal. It's like watching paint dry and it turns game into formulaic, stodgy affairs where one team is basically trying to pass their way into goal...and won't, unless the opposition is just disorganized defensively because somebody will have to mess up and not track a runner or loses their defensive shape for the tiki-taka team to ever score.

Boring.

Especially in the final third, I say, you try stuff. Go at guys, take them on 1-on-1. If you're feeling it, have that long shot. Get creative, because it's going to be a move, you beating somebody with skill, to unzip that defense and create the hole you need to score. And I always, always encourage my teams to take chances and bring extra guys up from the back to overload the box...because other teams' attacking players tend to be divas who are interested in scoring but not in playing D, and when a defender gets into the box the winger or outside forward who's supposed to be tracking him seldom will put in the effort to do that and that gets you an extra guy (or girl, see Crystal Dunn, who makes a living for the USWNT doing that from left back) on offense.

Especially in soccer, stats can inform, but they also don't tell anything like the whole story.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic