Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that

Dec 19, 2018, 9:32 AM

South Carolina "owns" the state now?

What will we do if this trend continues?

Muschump recruited his tail off and simply beat Dabo with pure good old fashioned work ethic.

Usuck may actually crack the top 15 next year.

Serious replies only.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that

Dec 19, 2018, 9:34 AM

Not in the slightest. Sure, they’ll improve, they were bound to, but as far as “owing the state”, no. The state was pretty horrible talent-wise this year besides Zacch Pickens, and he was always headed to Uscjr. Next year you’ll the tables turn again. We’ve already signed the #2 player DeMonte Capehart, and are in a great position to sign the #1 player Jordan Burch. Also, we’re tapping into talent from across the country now, and are not just limited to SC.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:36 AM

If I had to guess, I don't think its a case of Muschamp beating Dabo... I think Dabo and staff just focuses elsewhere (Georgia, Florida etc).

Dec 19, 2018, 9:36 AM

I haven't seen the numbers but I would guess that this season Coastal or Furman may "own the state".

That's the level of the majority of the seniors in this state this season.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:38 AM

The high school talent hasn't been great in SC. Would have loved to get Pickens but he's the only one I can really think of in the state that we went after really hard. Muschamp is doing a good job recruiting, but we are pulling kids from everywhere

Dec 19, 2018, 9:39 AM

down year for SC.
Better players elsewhere.
Better in SC next year.

If muschamp only recruits the majority of

Dec 19, 2018, 9:42 AM

His players/ commits from SC, then he will fail miserably.. which will happen. SUC, cannot recruit with, Clemson,UGA, Alabama and other southeast powerhouses. And they are not a national brand for elite talent..

My post was written with a little tongue in cheek

Dec 19, 2018, 9:42 AM

but in fairness, SC has everything it takes to actually be successful.

They have a big stadium, they are in the SEC, they have money, they have a nice facility now.

There problems are that they are still behind Clemson, UGA, FLA, Tenn, and even Kentucky the last few years.

They are just simply an average middle tier football program.

If they could replicate those three glory 11 win seasons, then they might could ascend at one point.

But with the aforementioned teams ahead of them, I see it as a long shot.

They are a forever 7-8 win football team.

Re: My post was written with a little tongue in cheek

Dec 19, 2018, 10:11 AM

You left some stuff out. Scar lacks the following:

- an appealing academic reputation. They are surrounded by schools where you can get a much better education - Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, UNC (well, maybe not anymore on the one), Duke, etc.

- a history to prove winning championships is possible. They have never been to a “big time” bowl and it is highly doubtful they ever will.

In summary, if you can about getting a college degree which will be highly valued and about winning, you should never choose Scar, even if they tried to copy Clemson’s Football Ops Center and missed the mark.

Dec 19, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to My post was written with a little tongue in cheek ]

Its also the mentality that has been allowed to perpetuate for almost 2 centuries.

USC was founded as a mediocre school for rich kids that wanted to dodge military service and maintain the family money and good ol boy network within the state capital.

Look at SC state politics, who has dominated the state politics? USC. More state politicians are USC grads than not.

Now, look at the abysmal state of the SC government. Look at how poorly this state has been run, look at the education system, the infrastructure, etc.

Is it really a coincidence that a Clemson grad, Nikki Haley, brought about the most successful and strongest economy in state history, and used that economic success to turn the Upstate into the fastest growing and most attractive region in the country in multiple economic categories and markets?

No, because Clemson was founded upon a standard of rigid excellence, thanks to its military heritage and reasons behind its charter. Clemson was literally founded with the intent to be the better school in every way, because the people of South Carolina were tired of the mediocrity and poor results coming out of the doors of that school in Columbia. It was literally founded under the stipulation to "be better than USC", and so far, we have been in pretty much every facet.

Its all about mentality, and what the older generation teaches the next generation. Clemson was founded on excellence and competition. USC was founded on old money and a "good ol boy" system.

The differences speak for themselves.

Dec 19, 2018, 4:50 PM

In other words what is ingrained is ingrained. We can't help but be excellent and they can't help but suck!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 4:32 PM [ in reply to My post was written with a little tongue in cheek ]

You wanted a serious reply to an UNserious question?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can claim they own the state if they want, but

Dec 19, 2018, 9:44 AM

it doesn't seem to be hampering our recruiting. It would've been nice to get Pickens this year, but outside of him... meh. We will see who really owns the state the next time there's a strong crop of kids coming out of SC.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:46 AM

LOL. We recruit nationally. We "own" the nation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Havent made any inroads into the Dakotas ... just sayin***

Dec 20, 2018, 9:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 9:49 AM

It would be a problem if we were missing on instate 4 and 5 star players and were going out of state to get lesser talent, but we are doing the exact opposite of that. If anything, USuC is benefiting from our National Recruiting ability, allowing them to take kids we used to chase after.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:50 AM

it is not a concern unless we bypass 5 stars in SC in favor of 3 stars in other states

Dec 20, 2018, 10:11 PM

Here you go, this is what USUC does and has done for 2019. They have one 5 star that was going to be a coot anyway you look at it. They have Four 4 star recruits, and 14 - 3 star recruit. Oh well, it doesn't seem that SC was actually loaded with prime time recruits!!!

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 9:50 AM

I think it's a couple of different factors at play why this is.

1) SC just doesn't produce a high quantity of high quality recruits on a yearly basis. There are years that are anomalies but it's not like GA, NC, FL, TX, CA in terms of consistent talent. There are less high quality guys to choose from and traditionally the ones that we want from the state we can get.

2) Clemson is no longer recruiting on a regional basis, it used to be where we'd have to lock down our state, maybe a little in NC, some of the lower ones in NC, AL, and it we're lucky we'd crack into FL. Now we're recruiting on a national basis consistently. Us getting Mullen, Mackensie Alexander, Deion Cain, Ray Ray, Sammy Watkins and others from Florida all started with us getting CJ Spiller. Getting Cle from Virginia all started back with Tahj Boyd and the success that we had with him. Now we routinely pick up the top players from NC and GA after the success of Deshaun, Vic Beasley, Dexter Lawrence, etc. Now we're in Tennessee with Tee & Amari along with recruiting up North after Christian Wilkins' success. It's quite staggering when you look at the top players on our team and really count how many of them are from SC (Renfrow, Huggins, Feaster, Davis brothers, Kendall Joseph, and a couple OL are the only ones in our 2-deep that are from the state of SC

3) SC has to place a priority on this to grow their program. Even removing the orange sunglasses when you take a step back there aren't many specific things that USC can offer that Clemson can't. If you like the city rather than the "country" USC appeals more, law/medicine academic programs, the lure of the SEC, and the higher potential for early playing time. They're trying to add "most recruits from the state of SC" to the list to build up relationships to get their program up to the level where coaches of top prospects will come to them as well. If you notice USC either seems really early to the party (throwing scholarships at players early on) or really late (when it is a top prospect that is being recruited nationally you'll have UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU, FSU, etc. and then USC will come in). It's not a problem specific to USC either it's just the reality of where they are in the pecking order nationally with top recruits, we were there for many years and it takes consistent winning and relationships to expand from regional to national.

Just my .02

there may be an age gap between you and me

Dec 19, 2018, 3:14 PM

but Clemson has always been strong with recruits throughout the southeast, and would occasionally pluck players from New Jersey, Texas, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama and Mississippi. and we have always been in the running for the best players in NC and GA.

CJ is part of a renaissance for top talent in Florida, but guys like Terrance Flagler, Emory Smith, Deandre McDaniel and many others have been top recruits from FL to come to Clemson long before CJ. FL was a hotbed for Clemson in the 80's and early 90's, I was there, and FL recruits could be influenced to come to lil ole Clemson SC back then.

John Johnson, Brentson Buckner and Jeff Davis are just a few top recruits from GA, which has always been a go to state for top talent. Chester McGlockton, Perry Tuttle and Ashley Sheppard are just a few from NC.

I would love to have the number of talents to come from SC that would keep us competing like we do now, but unfortunately, SC alone cannot sustain the level of talent needed to compete nationally, but Clemson has always recruited regionally very well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC may not produce a ton of elite recruits

Dec 19, 2018, 9:53 AM

and we may be doing fine elsewhere but I'd like to see us take the best players from around the state every year.

There should be no question about where elite talent from the state of SC goes to play football. We should own the state the way LSU owns Louisiana. Keep the pipeline flowing.

If we have room for the Herbstreit kids, we should have room for SC's Mr Football every year even if that guy isn't a 5*

LSU is the only major univ in Louisiana though. Almost all

Dec 19, 2018, 9:56 AM

of the kids there grow up LSU fans and dream of going to LSU. There are a still a ton of kids in SC that grow up chicken fans. Some of them still come to Clemson, but they have to make a bit of a "business decision" to do so.

Herbie's boys are walking on***

Dec 19, 2018, 10:06 AM [ in reply to SC may not produce a ton of elite recruits ]

The Dude abides

Re: SC may not produce a ton of elite recruits

Dec 19, 2018, 10:10 AM [ in reply to SC may not produce a ton of elite recruits ]

Herbstreit's kids aren't taking up a scholarship...

Get your facts right

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I know they're walking on

Dec 19, 2018, 10:19 AM

They'll probably be on scholarship eventually, though, same as Rex Ryan's kid and others.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:56 AM

As an actual high school football coach in this state, I think I am qualified to respond.

Coach Swinney is highly regarded and has a great relationship with most of the head coaches I know. His assistants have even BETTER relationships. They have always been blunt, honest and fair when dealing with the Coaches and what is happening behind the scene.

What has happened is Clemson is now a National Brand and is recruiting across the nation. If the Clemson coaches assess kids and feel someone from another state is better or a better fit for the Tigers, they will pursue that player. Unfortunately, our state hasn't cornered the market on talent. This season and last season, we have only had a handful of kids with national clout and Clemson pursued most of these young men.

This year in particular, they really wanted Pickens, but didn't get him. That's the only true head-to-head recruit in SC that I know of that Clemson wanted and USC got.

It is a fine line Coach Swinney must walk. No longer is Clemson going after the best players from our state. They are now after the best players in the nation. Swinney and his assistants continue to visit, contact and entertain the SC high school coaches in the event they have a nationally recruiting level guy come through.

Every coach I know and talk to in our state is VERY aware of what Clemson has become. Do they wish more of our state kids would get an offer from the Tiger's? Of course! That means they are one of the very best players and young men of character in the COUNTRY, not just the state.

An offer from Clemson has become the Holy Grail.

The results are on the field, on your tv's and in the trophy cases. We (state coaches) can see that.

"An offer from Clemson has become the Holy Grail" +1***

Dec 19, 2018, 10:11 AM

Great Summary!

Dec 19, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that ]

"An offer from Clemson has become the Holy Grail."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There should be POR Trophy

Dec 19, 2018, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that ]

..."Post of Reality" for insightful and truthful commentary. That trophy should be awarded to
dacoach

Such posts are worthy of 5 TU's! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're kidding, right? This was a down year in SC

Dec 19, 2018, 3:16 PM

recruiting. We literally OWN the top SC recruits on the next cycle.

Screw Calford.

Nope... We're a NATIONAL program...***

Dec 19, 2018, 3:17 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 3:52 PM

"beat Dabo"?!?!? Negatory....

Dec 19, 2018, 4:06 PM

Detroit Tiger
Orange Blooded [2489]
TigerPulse: 97%
With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that [2]
Posted: Dec 19, 2018 9:32 AM

South Carolina "owns" the state now?

What will we do if this trend continues?

Muschump recruited his tail off and simply beat Dabo with pure good old fashioned work ethic.

Usuck may actually crack the top 15 next year.

Serious replies only.

FIRST YOU NEED TO ASK A SERIOUS QUESTION.

Dec 20, 2018, 8:50 AM

Even back in the 60's Frank Howard basically depended on NJ and PA for his linemen. Go back and look at rosters and see how many came from those two states.

Dec 19, 2018, 4:10 PM

Muscoot can own SC all he wants. I’d rather own Ga. , Florida and California.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With just ONE commit from SC, are we at all concerned that***

Dec 19, 2018, 4:12 PM

Dec 19, 2018, 5:23 PM

The best part of it is that Musk-cheese could recruit lights out and it wouldn’t matter. He’ll still coach them out of winning. UF fans would agree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 8:02 PM

Dabo is tilling more fertile ground. In state talent this year was terrible.

Dec 19, 2018, 8:17 PM

Dabo talked about that in his press conference and said this was not a good year for SC High School football talent. Without name, but I'm sure he was talking about Zachh Pickens, said they talked but Clemson was not a fit for him. I'm guessing either he has some tie to U5C or the Tigers have too much talent at DE for him. I know Dabo would never promise playing time, he would have to earn it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They may own the state, but we own the team that owns the

Dec 19, 2018, 8:13 PM

state.

Dec 19, 2018, 8:31 PM

I know I am very worried.

Dec 20, 2018, 7:09 AM

Not to mention we are a small state!

Drop Dead. Is that serious enough for you?***

Dec 20, 2018, 7:58 AM

Dec 20, 2018, 8:58 AM

Next year uscJr will have to play more than just a couple tough opponents.

Look for a lot of transfers at the end of the year.
Of course we wont want any of them, anybody dumb enough to go to the Coots will need assistance tying their own velcro shoe laces.

"Anybody dumb enough to go to the Coots will need...

Dec 20, 2018, 1:26 PM

assistance tying their own velcro shoe laces."

CLASSIC!!!!!!

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic