Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we witnessing the death of college football?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Are we witnessing the death of college football?

Oct 16, 2018, 10:01 PM

Nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...Any other questions?***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:02 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you ask that??***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we witnessing the death of college football?

Oct 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

We're getting softer as a society and now it's trickling down to sports. I want to throw up.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

Nm

Message was edited by: J_Jackson

I think what got me tonight was

Oct 16, 2018, 10:10 PM

David Pollack talking about the Bosa situation. Basically he said he doesn't blame Bosa for his business decision, but that back in "his day" which wasn't that long ago tbh, they were more about the team and championships. And I totally agree. I don't blame these kids for making the decisions they make but I can't help but think it's to the detriment of the college game.

Re: I think what got me tonight was

Oct 17, 2018, 12:30 PM

I like the answer Dabo gave to the Bosa situation on his teleconference. It's difficult to know all of the details of the Bosa situation, but it was likely that Bosa would have been out til at least late November (per his dad). It's possible that he may not have been able to return until possibly the bowl game. I think the Bosa situation is very different from players choosing not to play in the bowl game simply because they don't want to (Fournette, etc.).

I still think Bosa's image would have looked better if he stayed with the team throughout the year, but I'm sure he will be able to rehab his injury more quickly if he's not in school. Major core injuries can take a very long time to heal and rehab. Although football and baseball are very different, I can remember several times when players had to shut it down for the season because of oblique injuries. Chipper Jones missed a good bit of time one year with an oblique injury.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as CFB is simply minor league NFL we’ll have to

Oct 17, 2018, 1:48 PM [ in reply to I think what got me tonight was ]

deal with “business decisions” from athletes.

The NFL really needs to step up and create a minor league system like baseball. Same with the NBA. Most of the problems in college football and basketball would go away instantly.

As long a CFB is simply a minor league for the NFL we’ll have to

Oct 17, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to I think what got me tonight was ]

deal with “business decisions” from college athletes.

The NFL really needs to step up and create a minor league system like baseball. Same with the NBA. Most of the problems in college football and basketball would go away instantly.

I wish we could witness the death of professional sports ...

Oct 16, 2018, 10:37 PM

That’s just my own personal opinion.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would you get rid of the best players playing at their

Oct 16, 2018, 10:42 PM

peak? Do you not like sports? Or would you just prefer to watch children play them...for free?

Umm what part is free?

Oct 16, 2018, 10:47 PM

How much does that education actually cost the school? Who

Oct 16, 2018, 10:54 PM

pays their medical bills after their eligibility is used up? Please don't act like they receive fair compensation for their sacrifices...They don't

If it were up to me then there would be a farm system

Oct 16, 2018, 11:07 PM

Students pay for the teachers and the buildings, the classes

Oct 16, 2018, 11:16 PM

they take are already paid for...And I would hate to see College Football turn into College Baseball, but then I prefer a higher level of play apparently

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then

Oct 16, 2018, 11:22 PM

You couldn't pay me to watch Baseball at any level***

Oct 16, 2018, 11:31 PM

Re: You couldn't pay me to watch Baseball at any level***

Oct 17, 2018, 12:37 PM

Why not? It is a wonderful game and very hard to learn...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to You couldn't pay me to watch Baseball at any level*** ]

Oct 17, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to You couldn't pay me to watch Baseball at any level*** ]

What stopped you from posting it a 4th time?***

Oct 17, 2018, 1:40 PM

Message removed by Author

Oct 16, 2018, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Students pay for the teachers and the buildings, the classes ]

Message removed by Author

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Fine, point still stands though, the classes they take have

Oct 16, 2018, 11:50 PM

already been paid for by the students

By students I guess you're referring to the ones who

Oct 16, 2018, 11:56 PM

The Professors would be paid the same whether or not an

Oct 17, 2018, 12:15 AM

athlete is in the class, the paying students have already taken care of that...It costs the school ZERO to put an athlete in that classroom

lol there are more costs to classes than just a professor's

Oct 17, 2018, 12:24 AM

How much are we spending emptying athlete's trashcans? I

Oct 17, 2018, 10:54 AM

want a figure

The school gets paid for every scholarship by IPTAY

Oct 17, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to How much does that education actually cost the school? Who ]

The school doesn’t give any athletes a free education. IPTAY does. In real money. If you don’t think a college education has actual value then i don’t know why to say.

If they don’t like the rcompensation they receive they can always just go get a job and not go to school I suppose. The NFL is who forces these guys into going to college, not the schools.

Re: Why would you get rid of the best players playing at their

Oct 16, 2018, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Why would you get rid of the best players playing at their ]

I love sports. But I believe in amateurism.

I’m not a fan of professional sports and pretty much never have been.

It would not bother me if the didn’t exist.

As I said, it’s my personal opinion.

amateurism hasn't existed in decades***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:55 PM

Re: amateurism hasn't existed in decades***

Oct 16, 2018, 11:00 PM

Of course not ... but I’m still a fan.

I grew up watching college ball in the 1960s and 1970s.

Today’s college game is as close to professionalism as I want to be a part of.

When they finish at Clemson I don’t follow them any more.

Sounds like you follow Clemson more than you follow the

Oct 16, 2018, 11:18 PM

sport itself

Been Reading You Posts

Oct 17, 2018, 4:53 AM

You're proud of your opinion I can see. If you're trying to impress the other posters, you missed the mark pal.

I'm not trying to impress anybody and I can't think of a

Oct 17, 2018, 10:59 AM

single reason I should be ashamed of anything I've said...If it hurts your feelings, don't read it

Back atcha ...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:14 PM

And yes, I thought that was clever.

I bet you thought that was clever***

Oct 17, 2018, 1:42 PM

Oct 16, 2018, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Why would you get rid of the best players playing at their ]

I agree 100%! Don't watch pro sports. The college game is so much better.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Why would you get rid of the best players playing at their ]

I agree 100%! Don't watch pro sports. The college game is so much better.

Re: I wish we could witness the death of professional sports ...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to I wish we could witness the death of professional sports ... ]

If there were no professional sports leagues for amateur players to strive for, I think it would lead to a lower quality of play in college games. As much as we would like to believe that these players are dedicating all of their time for several years of their lives just for the pure competition and to entertain us, there are undoubtedly a large number of players that are dedicating their lives to their sport in the hopes that it will eventually pay off with a professional contract.

Without pro football

Oct 17, 2018, 2:05 PM

College football would be Harvard/Yale, Army/Navy, Citadel/Furman, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but the huge sport of college football as we know it would be over.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:47 PM

It’s the cascading effect of runaway coaches salaries. Bosa looks at his HC making $7M and wonders why he should jeopardize his earning potential for Urban to make more cheddar by trying to come back from surgery too early.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:07 PM

They killed balloons too. Sad

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 11:23 PM

How about a couple of hot air balloons with tiger paws lifting off behind the Jumbotron as they run down the hill? They could even make some money with balloon rides before and after the games.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Are we witnessing the death of college football? ]

Oct 16, 2018, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Are we witnessing the death of college football? ]

Should make these guys happy I’m sure

It’s funny, I was just commenting the other day that watching

Oct 16, 2018, 11:10 PM

“Sports” used to be a hobby of mine. Then it became “college sports”...then “college football”...and now it’s “Clemson football”. Part of that is just getting older and having other things to do,but part of it has been the constant stream of crap that comes along with following sports.

And I know I’m in the minority here but I used to get season tickets every year for Clemson football, but the cost to get in has grown so much that I just couldn’t justify it. I know many here think it’s a small price to pay but you can’t deny it’s expensive.

The whole thing (spectator sports) has become so over processed, over priced, over dramatized, over hyped and over politicized that it makes it hard to just watch a game anymore. I sometimes question if I would still follow the Tigers if I didn’t believe in Dabo so much. Luckily I don’t have to worry about that any time soon. And of course...beat State.

null

Re: It’s funny, I was just commenting the other day that watching

Oct 16, 2018, 11:39 PM

+1. I grew up going to Furman games. I love the experience of

Oct 17, 2018, 2:06 PM

a small school gameday.

They were a little better back in the day but

Oct 19, 2018, 12:06 AM

Oct 17, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to It’s funny, I was just commenting the other day that watching ]

I pretty much agree with most of what you said. I still keep up with the playoffs in multiple sports, but the only games I make a point of watching in any sport are Clemson football, Clemson MBB, and Houston Texans (bc of all the Clemson players).

I try to separate all of the over-dramatization of sports with the actual game itself. There are several sports pundits (Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, that guys on FTF with Cris Carter, etc.) that makes minor issues in sports sound like life and death situations. I can't fault the networks for airing that stuff because they exist specifically to attract viewers and those shows get ratings. But I can choose not to watch them outside of a few random clips on Youtube.

Oct 17, 2018, 12:44 PM [ in reply to It’s funny, I was just commenting the other day that watching ]

I pretty much agree with most of what you said. I still keep up with the playoffs in multiple sports, but the only games I make a point of watching in any sport are Clemson football, Clemson MBB, and Houston Texans (bc of all the Clemson players).

I try to separate all of the over-dramatization of sports with the actual game itself. There are several sports pundits (Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, that guys on FTF with Cris Carter, etc.) that makes minor issues in sports sound like life and death situations. I can't fault the networks for airing that stuff because they exist specifically to attract viewers and those shows get ratings. But I can choose not to watch them outside of a few random clips on Youtube.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:26 PM

I don't think it will ever die.....at least not in our lifetimes. That being said, the proliferation of technology and availability has diluted it quite a bit. In other words, one can watch any game on a movie size screen without any real effort, The impact on revenue is very real.

The other challenge are the many choices available now in schools. Football, basketball, and baseball are no longer the only games in town. Those many choices mean a lot of folks arrive in a college environment and have no interest in attending the traditional sports events.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 11:39 PM

If they haven’t killed football yet with all they now know it probably won’t happen. Too much $$$ involved.

The notion that college football or basketball players aren’t fairly compensated is an argument only used by the uninformed, or politicized, observer.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:34 PM

I know I probably speak for a silent majority of college football fans when I say I HATE the direction college football is going. Can't hold it against the players, but they shouldn't hold it against us either. We long for the days of team sports being actual team sports.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:41 PM

The networks try to artificially diversify regional significance to open more markets, but they know it’s the southeast, and its Clemson and Bama, again this year.

Gamecock Football Maybe

Oct 17, 2018, 3:21 AM

Clemson Football, NOPE we're just getting started. Did you not hear Coach Swinney when he said, "The Best Is Yet To Come."

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

It has been dead in Cootlumbia for 125 years***

Oct 17, 2018, 8:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think you’re onto something...

Oct 17, 2018, 10:59 AM

The fact that it’s more popular and generates more revenue than ever before is just a smokescreen for its demise.

Oct 17, 2018, 12:45 PM

I would like all 3 or 4(?) Divisions of college football get together and put public pressure on the NFL for some funding of their (in effect) Farm System.. MLB ponies up the $$$$ and pays for their Minor Leagues, but the BILLIONAIRES of the NFL just suck the college system dry and do not flip a nickel toward this CASH COW/// Amazing that the most edumacated people around (college administrations) cannot see this...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic