Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 95
| visibility 1

Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change

Jan 29, 2019, 3:36 PM

But when it’s frigid, it’s blamed on the polar vortex?

Can someone explain the reasoning here?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change

Jan 29, 2019, 3:43 PM

they changed it form "global warming" to "climate change" so that people wouldn't be tricked into thinking that just because its getting colder it doesn't mean its not getting warmer.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Message removed by Author

Jan 29, 2019, 10:52 PM

Message removed by Author

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOLLERS. The earth has been getting a

Jan 30, 2019, 8:47 AM

If at this point you don’t believe in human caused climate change, you are a lost cause.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jan 30, 2019, 10:28 AM

I think the big issue is the word cause.

Impact would be a much better and most likely more accurate term that people could accept.

As it stands, everyone either says humans cause climate change or we don't.

If the word impact is used then it's almost impossible to logically deny.

Jan 30, 2019, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: LOLLERS. The earth has been getting a ]

You are stupid millennial. The earth has changed since it was formed. The Grand Canyon used to be full of water. Water human changed that? Such a stupid way to think, you youngins. Everything must have happened right now. Like you are even slightly important in the theme of things. I hope the next generation gets it right, because you are lost.

Explain the same thing has happened dozens of times

Jan 31, 2019, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: LOLLERS. The earth has been getting a ]

before humans appeared. WeatherBot, you wanna help HipHop'oCrit out? I schooled your asson this MANY times...

G'09, you just can't seemed to suppress your idiocy..

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

You science so good.***

Jan 30, 2019, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

I'm sure you meant that the earth has warmed by fractions of degrees for awhile with the exception of the past 17 years.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: You science so good.***

Jan 30, 2019, 10:57 AM

It's a fact that in the past two years the earth has cooled. In fact, the decrease is the most in a century.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You science so good.***

Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 AM [ in reply to You science so good.*** ]

So you aren't denying the fact that the Earth has indeed warmed over time?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes is was warming. it took a 17 year break which was

Jan 30, 2019, 9:23 PM

totally unexpected and now its warmed slightly again the past couple of years. The planets reaction to warming and its causes has been to do things that reduce warming. My problem is more the with the "sky is falling" crowd who are constantly wrong. We now have years of projections to compare to with reality and the answer is somewhere in the middle. I'm certainly not for giving polluters a blank check. If we'll stay away from authoritarian government on one side and corporatism on the other side and respect private property we'll be out of this situation fairly quickly. IMO. In fact, I think we already are. There are lots of unknowns, however. Some we'll never have answers to.

When people say they know exactly why what is happening is happening and then they are wrong over and over again, it simply reveals that we don't know. We can observe what is happening and no one as of yet can tell us completely why. I do believe man has had impact. But I don't believe anyone knows how much.

Speak for yourself...

Jan 30, 2019, 10:02 PM

I think it’s safe to say I’m the only one here that has been abducted by interdimensional beings and have been shown the past, present, and future simultaneously. Mankind’s fate isn’t tied to the warming of the earth, but instead an object in the Kuiper Belt. You’ll all be dead and gone by then. Most of your lineages will be wiped out by then. The shamecocks will still be without a football title...this way you know I speak the truth. I’ve probably said too much already. But wheels are in motion that can’t easily be undone. For fear of being probed again, I’m going to cease talking about this.

"a few degrees warmer each year"... That's ridiculous.

Jan 30, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

However, it IS getting warmer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deleted my idiotic post above. It’s waaay less than that.***

Jan 30, 2019, 3:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dont stop with just that post...

Jan 31, 2019, 8:18 AM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Jan 29, 2019, 3:44 PM

If you don't understand it by now it is no used explaining it to you further. But, in this case the Arctic vortex has been split and sent farther south by warmer temps in the arctic. See.

Jan 29, 2019, 3:55 PM

You can give thanks to the inventor of the internet for global warming.
Thanks Al Gore!

Jan 30, 2019, 10:25 AM

And he’s made a pile of money on it. Remember Y2K? The world was coming to an end then too. People made millions fixing a non-existent problem. Follow the $$$.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2019, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Study geological history. Would you prefer snowball earth or vacation on the warm north Canadian beaches with the hot Eskimo girls.

Humans have no affect on any "polar vortex", its called

Jan 30, 2019, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

climate for a reason. It changes in radical ways sometimes, and there is nothing certain about how humans affect it. I honestly think they are too many humans alive now and the earth is literally flattening, and needs to be flipped so we can get away from that blasted sun LOL!!

Climate Change may exist, but I assure you there is nothing we humans can do about it. Higher power created weather and is in complete control.

This is absurd ... warm air in the Arctic pushed cold

Jan 30, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Arctic air south ?

Are you listening to yourself ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Average high temperature - Pickens, SC - Month of January

Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 AM

2007 55.1
2008 50.9
2009 50.9
2010 49.3
2011 47.8
2012 54.7
2013 55.8
2014 47.3
2015 51.7
2016 51.1
2017 57.3
2018 49.1

Looks pretty steady to me ... Pickens must be in the Caribbean vortex.

https://usclimatedata.com/climate/pickens/south-carolina/united-states/ussc0270

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 3:55 PM

Because the weather is not climate

Jan 29, 2019, 3:57 PM

Both are idiotic conclusions.

Climate = weather over decades

Weather = changes radically by day/week/month

Re: Because the weather is not climate

Jan 29, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quiet frankly I’m ok with global warming! I’ll take flip flops and shorts over coats and fleece jackets any day.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:40 PM

I'll think of your happiness as we hit -10 (-20 with wind chill) tonight in my area.

Yeah yeah I know. That is what I get for living 25 minutes from Lake Michigan. I agree, it doesbsuck in the middle of winter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Because the weather is not climate ]

Global warming can be reversed by cloud seeding.

and carbon tax

Jan 29, 2019, 7:09 PM

and exchange system

Re: and carbon tax

Jan 30, 2019, 10:51 AM

and exchange system

Uh...no. A lot of rich people will get richer and some countries will continue to pollute like they always have and the rest of us will pay the freight for a huge scam and Earth will continue to warm...or cool...because THAT’S WHAT PLANET EARTH DIES!!

Re: and carbon tax

Jan 30, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to and carbon tax ]

There you go. Problem solved.

Jan 29, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Because the weather is not climate ]

You can bet your sweet patootie those people living during the ice age welcomed global warming. I bet everyone turned on their electric stoves and left the oven door open and turned all of their other electrical appliances to generate heat to melt that ice. Those people who didn't have electricity had to resort to natural gas. Just imagine how much coal it must have required to keep a fire in their furnace every day of the year. Just imagine what Lowes, Home Depot and other businesses were charging for good home insulation.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2019, 8:45 AM

Technically, earth is still in an ice age if I understand correctly. A late stage ice age in which we are transitioning out of.

Maybe you should take a basic-level science class?***

Jan 29, 2019, 4:01 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 4:02 PM

That is also blamed on climate change.

Jan 29, 2019, 4:56 PM

Global warming refers to the trend in rising temperatures over decades. Punishing cold snaps are still expected in a warming world, just fewer of them. And their intensity should tend to ease some over time -- but they won't ever entirely disappear.The warming of the climate system is unambiguous and irrefutable. The last four years have been the four warmest years on record for the planet. If you don't believe thermometers over land areas, there are all kinds of additional indicators such as decreasing polar ice, melting glaciers, longer flowering and pollen seasons, and rising temperatures in lakes, streams and oceans.

So How Do We Determine if This Data Point is Relevant

Jan 29, 2019, 5:13 PM

When we don't have data for over 99% of the earth's existence??? Pass me a Hamberder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

So why did we have a mini ice age during the middle ages and why historically speaking are we on the verge of another major ice age?

Why has there been so much fluctuation even before man?

Go look at historical temperatures over Earth's lifetime and you'll see we are in a period of increase temps followed by a major crash.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Don't disagree that the earth is warming. It's the inconclusiveness of how much man's influence on this change has been.

Jan 30, 2019, 8:53 AM

There is no inconclusiveness.

All of the scientists know it’s real. The only people disagreeing are doing it for political reasons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jan 30, 2019, 9:44 AM

As usual you have no idea what you are talking about. It is just as political for those scientists that believe in it as those that are skeptical. I'm from the Judith Curry camp that believes that there is some human causation, but mostly caused natural climate cycles. Her biggest complaint, and mine, is the overblown and exaggerated scare tactics used by the pro climate change crowd.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deluded comment... Judith Curry camp, huh?***

Jan 30, 2019, 12:12 PM

Re: Deluded comment... Judith Curry camp, huh?***

Jan 31, 2019, 10:42 AM

Yeah .... Judith Curry. Do you have any idea who she is? I don't know you but guess she knows a lot more about CC than you, so I'll just assume that your "deluded" comment is misplaced.

Jan 30, 2019, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

And I think the are agreeing for political reasons.

Jan 31, 2019, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

“All of the scientists...”? No, son, the community is split. “...political reasons...”? So you’re saying that those who oppose MMGW do so purely for political reasons? But those who agree have no political agenda?

Pardon me for saying so but that is a monumentally stupid thing to say. If you are a SCar grad you surely don’t impress me with your intellect nor your capacity for critical thinking

The last four years being the hottest is a statistical lie

Jan 29, 2019, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Supposedly the temperature increased by 0.01 degrees plus or minus 0.1 degrees. Since the thermometers are only accurate to 0.1 degrees to say that it increased by 1/10 that amount is a statistical fallacy. It is just as valid to say that the temperature decreased by .099 degrees. As Mark Twain said there are lies, da## lies, and statistics.

Jan 29, 2019, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

The key is on record. The earth has been much hotter/colder and will do so again. It is only a new thing because we are around to see it.

null

you sould like a liberal arts major

Jan 29, 2019, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

sociology maybe?

Jan 31, 2019, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Geez I wonder if there could be some other factors involved in the current global warming/climate change trend other than man-made greenhouse gas emissions? It may be that for all of our arrogance, our contributions are paltry compared to things like sunspot activity, precession, elliptical orbits and volcanic eruptions.

Now you started it***

Jan 29, 2019, 4:57 PM

Jan 29, 2019, 5:00 PM

it is a shame when people graduate from a 4 years university and continue to throw shade at main stream science. it makes my degree seem like a piece of giant dog crap by association.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:09 PM

I blame the methane from cattle farts and Clemson university for releasing orange balloons for global warming!

Jan 29, 2019, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Are they reliable like mainstream media. Lol

Jan 29, 2019, 5:23 PM

case in point.

Turns out U of Suc isn't the only team with Walmart fans I guess***

Jan 30, 2019, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not"

Jan 29, 2019, 5:05 PM

Sayeth Jerry Reed

Jan 29, 2019, 5:08 PM

Since our earth is flat, why can't we just turn the planet over ?

We could go underneath for the shade

Jan 29, 2019, 5:22 PM

:)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:15 PM

I just found out last week the earth only has 12 more years, so in about 11 years I'm taking about 3 mortgages on my trailer and heading to Branson

Jan 29, 2019, 5:16 PM

Wait 40 years and check back with me

That's fake

Jan 29, 2019, 7:31 PM

http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/sorry-a-time-magazine-cover-did-not-predict-a-coming-ice-age/
Here's the actual cover, from a 2007 issue:

It was obviously fake but all I had to do was google the "1977" headline***

Jan 29, 2019, 7:54 PM

Re: It was obviously fake but all I had to do was google the "1977" headline***

Jan 29, 2019, 8:04 PM

if you have google chrome you can right click on an image in your browser and tell it to find similar It will find every iteration of the same picture. EVERYONE should do this to weed out this garbage.

Re: That's fake

Jan 30, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to That's fake ]

Maybe so but if you were alive and older than 10 during the winter of 1977 you know everybody in media was screaming about the coming ice age. It was brutally cold and great snow.

It only takes a minute to find the real ones though

Jan 30, 2019, 8:58 AM

Funny how the solution is the same, whether it’s warming or cooling: higher taxes, loss of freedoms, more government control.

That Time story is about a cold winter and has nothing to do

Jan 30, 2019, 9:13 AM

with climate change or a coming ice age or anything like that.

populartechnology.net appears to be some guys' climate change denial blog, despite the misleading moniker. That list of "references" is also misleading. Some of those stories are duplicates with slightly different titles re-published in various local papers, and some of them have next to nothing to do with the topic at hand but were clearly included in the list because they had words in the headline that look good in a list like this. Honestly I don't think it'd be that hard to make a list like this for a lot of topics that may have been hot for a while but were never really that big of a deal in the public consciousness.

Re: That Time story is about a cold winter and has nothing to do

Jan 30, 2019, 9:28 AM

But you can always find one from Time or Newsweek in that decade because they traffic in doom and gloom

Re: It only takes a minute to find the real ones though

Jan 31, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to It only takes a minute to find the real ones though ]

Calhoun2® said:

Funny how the solution is the same, whether it’s warming or cooling: higher taxes, loss of freedoms, more government control.

************************************************** -->
Well said. But really it’s all about the fate of humanity and saving the planet. I mean we all know that, right? It really has nothing to do with politics, power or control.

I’d be devastated to find that out...

Jan 30, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

Yep, I clearly remember back in the 70's when "all the experts" saying that we were all going to starve to death because the wheat fields in russia were going to freeze over. Climate scientists have lost all credibility.

The earth gets warmer, the earth gets cooler, Humans have NOTHING to do with it. It all comes from the SUN.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM

You have to adapt to fit your narrative. According to Al Gore's predictions my house should be under water by now. It's not

Jan 29, 2019, 6:14 PM

I am 71 years old and the weather has not changed during my lifetime to any degree. Climate changes everyday. One cannot base it on data from a 150 year period vs how many millions of years the earth has been around. One needs to follow the money to find out why this is an issue.

Rising seas? Land subsides If rising Charleston would be under water.

about 4500 million years

Jan 29, 2019, 7:18 PM

or maybe 6000

Jan 30, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it when it’s hot, it’s blamed on climate change ]

We can go back hundreds of thousands of years.

And no, climate doesn't change every day.

Jan 29, 2019, 7:50 PM

The more important question might be; why is it when it gets considerably colder, it is blamed on a polar blast. And 10 years ago, whenever it got considerably colder, it was blamed on a 'Canadian air blast'.

I guess it's more politically correct to blame the cold weather on penguins and Eskimos rather than the Canadian people.

Jan 30, 2019, 8:53 AM

The polar vortex IS a result of "global warming".

This year, the typical polar cyclone which normally stays up in the upper areas of Canada was split in half and pushed southwards due to an abnormal heat wave that started around Morocco and pushed into the arctic to the area the polar vortex typically resides.

Warm air pushed up and displaced the cold air, pushing it south.

Climate change operates in a similar pattern as a stock market bubble, to simplify things. Over consistent years in which abnormal warming consistently increases, cold pockets of air (VERY cold, as in -22 degrees cold) are displaced, eventually leading to abnormal freezing in areas that have not typically been frozen. Eventually, the instability causes a "crash" and after years of peak warm temperatures, the climate snaps back violently into an "ice age". With a stock market bubble, you get months and months of speculative investing that sends stock prices soaring abnormally high. And then, the bubble bursts and the market crashes, leading to an economic recession or depression. Weather patterns are similar if you need to oversimplify it.

The degree with which humans affect this is unknown, however.

Simple. It's because the priests of Anthropomorphic Global

Jan 29, 2019, 8:08 PM

Warming have their heads stuck up their polar vortexes.

Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 PM

When it comes to Al Gore, Beware of Prophets seeking Profits

Jan 29, 2019, 10:48 PM

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-the-freezing-polar-vortex-is-fueled-by-global-warming

Jan 30, 2019, 9:10 AM

First it was politics, now global warming. Please, stop all non-sports posts. Go to where ever people care about such rubbish. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give you the only reason needed, MONEY

Jan 30, 2019, 9:27 AM

Sure the climate changes over decades, but the change is insignificant to say the least.

All this is done for the simple premise of milking money from all kinds of sources to try and push a narrative that is some circumstances can be proven. It is nothing but a scheme to make money off of fear of those who are gullable and unable to think for themselves. However, in the context of hundreds of years there is very little climate change as these test tube scientist already understand but it does not make them any money. All about the almighty dollar, pretty sure there are much more important factors in play on Earth now other than a half degree warmer than 10 years ago. Some people are like moths to a flame, and man does it pay off if you find the right avenue to scare them.

Jan 30, 2019, 9:41 AM

It's called GLOBAL warming not just a hot or cold weather pattern over your spot on the earth.

Can you say greed!

Jan 30, 2019, 10:06 AM

Liberals try to put fear in your mind so you want question the money they want to spend on nonsense! Climate has been changing since God sent the great flood. Man will and can not destroy the earth. God will when he creates a new earth and heaven!

Jan 30, 2019, 10:12 AM

calm yourself. It’s because there is no reasoning. It’s all politics & emotion

If anyone wants to begin research into the real state the gl

Jan 30, 2019, 10:17 AM

obe. Here are some links. This is not climate change deniers vs. Climate worshippers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMBInTP1p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nsU_DaIZE

This guy?

Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 AM

https://www.desmog.co.uk/node/9715

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/royal-society-global-warming-climate-change-benefits-matt-ridley-michael-mann-a7372306.html

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Matt_Ridley_blog.htm

https://www.carbonbrief.org/scientists-respond-to-matt-ridleys-climate-change-claims

Re: This guy?

Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 AM

No I was talking about the real one, not the straw man.

Which part of this is untrue in any way?

Jan 30, 2019, 12:01 PM

"Ridley writes frequently in the Wall Street Journal and The Times promoting fossil fuels while at the same time earning considerable wealth from coal mining.

At the beginning of 2015, the landed aristocrat started work on two new profitable opencast coal mines. These are situated close to his Grade I listed stately home and acres of beautiful national park that make up his 8,500-acre estate which the White-Ridley family has owned in Northumbria since 1700. The peer’s Blagdon Estate, held by a family trust, today covers a significant part of the open mines at Shotton and Brenkley Lane, north of Newcastle, which together contain 8.3m tonnes of coal, worth an estimated £336m on the spot market."

Jan 30, 2019, 11:10 AM

Jan 30, 2019, 11:20 AM

"When Al Gore was born in 1948 there were no legitimate estimates of how many polar bears existed – guesses varied widely because they were based on stories from explorers and hunters rather than scientific surveys. Before the polar bear treaty was signed in 1973, and before polar bears were listed as endangered, several populations of bears were decimated by hunting which began around 1600 and continued unchecked for 350 years. Early scientific estimates from the 1980s, after polar bears were protected for a decade or so, are in the neighborhood of 20,000 to 40,000 polar bears. Most researchers assume that the number of polar bears did increase due to the controls and quotas instituted by the 1973 treaty.

Today, researchers estimate that there are 20,000 to 25,000 polar bears in 19 relatively distinct sub-populations. Of those 19 sub-populations, eight are declining; three are stable; one is increasing and, for the remaining seven, there is insufficient data to determine. For comparison: In 2005, five populations were declining; two were stable and two were increasing. (There is insufficient data for the others.)

Currently, most of the populations are losing sea ice habitat which has negative impacts on their hunting. As a result, they are experiencing declines in weight and health of bears, along with low reproductive and cub survival rates.

Since satellite records began in the late 1970s, about 50% of the ice area within polar bear habitat has been lost, and the ice that remains has lost about 50% of its thickness. In 2012, the area of sea ice loss was greater than the entire area of the United States. That is a significant degradation of critical habitat for polar bears.

Because polar bears feed almost exclusively on seals they hunt on ice. Changes in the sea ice that affect access to prey have and will continue to have negative effects on the bears."

Global warming results in polar bears with only two legs!! Film at eleven

Jan 30, 2019, 3:41 PM

Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 AM

It's just a big cold front. Just because the earth is warming doesn't mean it will never be cold. Its January 30th and above freezing in Anchorage Alaska right now too. I would bet it's well above average.

Because melted ice has to go somewhere... Quite simple.***

Jan 30, 2019, 12:34 PM

Jan 30, 2019, 1:09 PM

There are many things to disagree about in the realm of climate change, but the theories that it isn't happening or that humans are not a primary contributor are baseless. There are multiple reasons that the earth is warming. It is true that the earth is still coming out of the most recent ice age, and that natural changes can account for about 50% of the current trends in climate patterns. The trends can be measured through climate proxies such as ice cores from times when data was not being collected. So the other 50% of the warming must be coming from somewhere, which is where human activities come in. Around the 1800s, levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere began to rise significantly (industrial revolution). These gases cause heat that is leaving the surface of the earth to be reflected back from the atmosphere, trapping the heat. Now, where are the greenhouse gases coming from? There are three possible sources of major carbon dioxide increases: volcanoes, deforestation, and burning fossil fuels. To determine which source, the Suess effect is helpful. The suess effect shows that the ratio of Carbon-14 to Carbon-12 has decreased significantly in the past 200 or so years. Carbon-14 is stable within the Earth's atmosphere, so the only way to decrease this ratio is to increase the amount of Carbon-12. Volcanoes are rich in Carbon-13, so they would not provide a meaningful source of Carbon-12. Plants contain both carbon-12 and carbon-14, so deforestation would not affect the ratio. Fossil fuels have very little if any carbon-14, but do contain carbon-12. What all of this means is that burning fossil fuels (human activity) has lead to an increase in greenhouse gases causing more heat than normal to be trapped within Earth's atmosphere leading to a warming pattern that is faster and has a greater magnitude than any other in the data we have. The effects of this warming may disputed, the methods used to combat it may be disputed, but the science itself is indisputable. There may be political differences on the outcomes of global warming, but the existence of the issue itself should not be something that any group of rational people argue about.

Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 AM

Excellent Chris! I think most people now agree and understand that the human contribution is indeed a scientific fact. I mentioned earlier that I was in the Judith Curry camp, in that I don't dispute the scientific information, but also do not think we know exactly how much in cyclical and natural and how much is caused by humans. Many of the models based on scientific information have been shown to be wrong. I don't necessarily dispute the model and understand that it is part of the scientific process and they are not always going to be exact. It still doesn't mean that they were in total error. What I don't like is the scare tactics used by many of the scientific community and politicians which in many cases are overblown and exaggerated, in part to manipulate the American people and stifle any dissenting discussion.

Jan 31, 2019, 1:13 PM

Thank you, just wanted to try to provide some basic scientific information on the topic. I agree that the effects of climate change are sometimes overstated, especially with the time-frame that is provided. However, the bigger issue in my opinion is the misinformation tactics used by powerful industry interests. These groups promote studies that ignore or misrepresent the results of many well-established scientific studies. For example, Exxon Mobile discovered the potential effects of climate change nearly 40 years ago and attempted to cover it up. With a problem like global warming with potentially devastating effects, I would rather the possibilities be overstated than understated.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/#googDisableSync

People get so confident about Climate Change.

Jan 30, 2019, 4:26 PM

It seems so absurd to me though.

There are so many variables that effect weather/climate that we know little or nothing about. It seems preposterous to me that our current limited understanding of the sun, and magnetic fields, and the universe in general can lead to such a confident and zealous belief like what we see with man-made global warming.

Climate change predates the industrial revolution and there is not enough data to be anywhere close to certain. And I am an environmentalist.

I'm with you. Basically the only thing you can be

Jan 30, 2019, 9:32 PM

confident in is that if someone says they know, they don't.

Replies: 95
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic