Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Which team didn't belong in the CFP?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Which team didn't belong in the CFP?

Jan 18, 2019, 1:38 PM

I'm going to help you narrow it down some, since Clemson had the best football team in college football history, they are not one of the teams below...

Team 1 lost their last game by 11 points
Team 2 lost their last game by 27 points
Team 3 lost their last game by 28 points

Here's another hint, the media hot take was that team two should not have been included in the playoffs.

But looking at this without putting a name next to their blowout loss, I think it is clear that the playoff committee made a mistake by including the team with the biggest blowout loss. Team 3 just didn't have the athletes or coaching to compete on football's biggest stage. If we're being honest, Team 3 should have been left out of the playoffs in favor of Syracuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Georgia and Ohio State***

Jan 18, 2019, 1:39 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You took the words right out of my mouth***

Jan 18, 2019, 2:08 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Team 63; South Carolina***

Jan 18, 2019, 1:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Which team didn't belong in the CFP?

Jan 18, 2019, 1:46 PM

You have to add team #1's 11 point loss to team #3's 28 point loss for what would have been a 39 point loss to the unnamed champion team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 1:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 18, 2019, 1:53 PM

Me be connfuse ??? about this entire conversation ???#$%&^*(

I agree it's a sham that Cuse got left out though

Jan 18, 2019, 1:52 PM

They played Clemson 24 points closer than ND and would obviously beat the Irish if they played head to head for the ACC championship.

Jan 18, 2019, 1:54 PM

Forget the numbers. Notre Dame did not belong. Georgia & Ohio State clearly better teams.

please tell me my meter is broken

Jan 18, 2019, 6:17 PM

Georgia is the softest bunch of pansies I've seen all year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team didn't belong in the CFP? ]

Forget the numbers. Notre Dame did not belong. Georgia & Ohio State clearly better teams.

Forget the facts. Ga who lost to LSU by a wide margin and Ohio State belonged in the playoff by means of the eye test and the ESPN hype.

Goofy logic that no one would buy if the audio on tv games and sports talk was turned off.

Jan 18, 2019, 1:54 PM

Jesus, why do I have to get a slide rule out for this.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because you got mad and broke your abacus.***

Jan 18, 2019, 1:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because you got mad and broke your abacus.***

Jan 18, 2019, 1:59 PM

if the number gets any higher than 20 I have to start counting the number of idiotic posts by GWPTiger® to keep up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team didn't belong in the CFP? ]

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Guys! You've clearly forgotten some basic algebraic principles

Jan 18, 2019, 2:03 PM

According to ESPN, you had to multiply SOS (strength of schedule) x SOC (strength of conference) / divided by SEC speed and the answer is clear. The top 2 teams from the SEC east & west should have been in the CFP.

Which means Bammer is the #1 team in their final ranking

Jan 18, 2019, 2:10 PM

just like they were in 2016.

I think they forgot to divide by Pi

Jan 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

Nm

Jan 18, 2019, 2:06 PM

Notre Dame maybe should have been there because of record, but I don't even think they were a top 10 team.

Top 10 was a low bar this year

Jan 18, 2019, 2:18 PM

Who would you really have ahead of them?

You could probably make a case for Ohio State and Georgia being better when at full strength. Who else though? UCF? LSU? Florida? Michigan? Texas? Washington? I think i could poke pretty big holes in all of those arguments.

Re: Top 10 was a low bar this year

Jan 18, 2019, 3:05 PM

Due to their record I would have them in there. That said, I would think a team like Texas A7M was even better than ND really was. I think if ND played in the SEC they would have been a 3 or 4 loss team. ND sucked. I have watched them all year and I knew they were basically a BYE to whoever got them in the playoff.

OSU is the only other team that had a case

Jan 18, 2019, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Top 10 was a low bar this year ]

Everyone keeps forgetting that UGAG choked again vs Bama. And against a Bama team who’s QB was at about 50% for mobility that night. Plus Bama WR’s dropped about 6 passes for over 100 yard in that game. UGAG got Bama’s C game and still couldn’t close. I think the Bama team we beat by 28 beats UGAG by 28.

OSU and ND were close options

Oklahoma would have made that a really interesting game with Bama if they had come out of the gate better.

Jan 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

Clemson
Alabama
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

I went to my easy chair and did some pondering and then I did some repondering and arrived at a conclusion that the only one that showed up was Clemson. The Tigers defeated Notre Dame and Alabama by a combined score of 74 - 19 and Alabama defeated Oklahoma. Therefore, Alabama, Notre Dame and Oklahoma should not have been there. I will let the "Why Not Us" fans, if they are on this board, state their claims in 49 words, or less.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 2:17 PM

ND from the optics but it also would have been nice to beat the #### out of tosu

D: Not enough information provided.***

Jan 18, 2019, 2:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

TL/dr

Jan 18, 2019, 3:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jan 18, 2019, 3:25 PM

They all "belong" in the CFP... easy to pontificate in hind site... UCF fans still think they "belong" ...the teams that belong are the ones the committee selected...

Question should be can we get some transparency for the CFP on why not some talking head commentary, want some money? make the the last 2 or 3 deliberations pay per view... who would not pay for that? Then maybe we could have an educated apples to apples argument about the selections ...

At all depends if team 2 got beat by 27 points

Jan 18, 2019, 3:36 PM

by the team that got beat by 28 points.

The obvious solution is a six team playoff.

Jan 18, 2019, 4:13 PM

Seed 1 plays Seed 2. All the other seeds play whoever, whenever, and wherever they want. Winner of game between Seed 1 and Seed 2 wins the Natty.*

*Extraneous editorial comment: I originally hated the term "Natty," but since I've learned that it gets on our Uof5C friends' nerves, I've grown to like it.

Jan 18, 2019, 4:38 PM

The correct CFP field was Clemson, Syracuse, Texas A&M, and Ohio.

Jan 18, 2019, 5:29 PM

Well team 3 did beat team 1 by 11, and had the ball at the 6 yard line at the end of the game before taking a knee on the final two plays. I realize ND technically did play us closer than Bama, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that Bama wouldn't beat ND by at least 20. For as bad as we beat Bama, they did at least move the ball on us.

ND had the 2nd best defense in the playoff

Jan 18, 2019, 6:19 PM

And Bama had padded defensive stats playing terrible SEC offenses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 6:23 PM

Notre Dame , clearly. Bama would've routed them the same way we did , and I surmise that OU could easily outscore them in a barnburner .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic