Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us.

Jan 1, 2019, 2:10 AM

But for some reason they didn’t blitz with as many players later in the game. Maybe they thought we would adjust.

Will Bama blitz more? Seems we should be prepared.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ummm, did you watch the end of the 1st half?

Jan 1, 2019, 2:13 AM

That's exactly why they got burned. Not once. Not twice. But three times in a row.

They had no choice but to stop blitzing. Hopefully Bama brings the house every time. They will eventually pay.

Re: Ummm, did you watch the end of the 1st half?

Jan 1, 2019, 2:23 AM

That's exactly why they got burned. Not once. Not twice. But three times in a row.

They had no choice but to stop blitzing. Hopefully Bama brings the house every time. They will eventually pay.

I didn’t see them bring as many people in the 2nd quarter as they did in the first. I’ll go back and look though.

And we scored how many points in the first half vs the 2nd?***

Jan 2, 2019, 3:45 AM

Re: Ummm, did you watch the end of the 1st half?

Jan 2, 2019, 6:28 AM [ in reply to Ummm, did you watch the end of the 1st half? ]

ND had to stop blitzing when Love went out. That was part of the reason his injury was so big. When you put a guy out there who was the 4th string corner in the spring, that is what happens. It was clear when he got burned right away he couldn't hang, so they had to stop blitzing to try and fill the gap. The entire defensive game plan had to switch.

Re: When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us.

Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 AM

I’ve mentioned before, without many people agreeing, that I think having XT in the backfield to protect TL would be a good idea. Do it over and over, then when Bama least expects it? Direct snap to XT for a short 3rd and 1.

Bama will be out to knock TL out of the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great plan...wait is XT practicing on offense?

Jan 1, 2019, 2:25 AM

Is his first year blocking better than ETN's was?Could put a damper on the gameplan if he's not good at protection.

Re: Great plan...wait is XT practicing on offense?

Jan 2, 2019, 3:38 AM

I remember the announcers mentioning last year that due to the strength of our DL, Saban was playing an extra offensive lineman. Maybe we should do the same this year on TL’s blindside. The reason I mentioned XT is because of how fast and strong he is. We need to pull out all the stops- even if it is unorthodox compared to our usual game plans.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great plan...wait is XT practicing on offense?

Jan 2, 2019, 9:47 AM

If we do that we need to put the extra OL on the right side. Hyatt has rarely lost in pass protection. Anchrum and Pollard on the other hand, I worry that they will be the issue. I hope to see more Cervenka than Pollard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us.

Jan 2, 2019, 6:38 AM

because it did not take us long to start finding open receivers in the middle of the field and that is when they stopped blitzing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 7:20 AM

because Love was out of the game... His replacement has had 21 balls thrown his way this year and the receivers have caught 17 of them, he was not great and shouldn't have played this year. If love stays in the game, Tranquil can continue to cover the middle, which he does adequately, there will be some breakdowns, but overall he does ok, and Coney can continue to blitz, or whoever we want to send. I will admit that the middle is the weakest spot to throw on for ND, but Clemson doesn't rack up 20 points in 1 quarter with Love in the game. TL was 15-18 for 244 yards and 3 tds with Love out, 12-21 for 83 with him in, that is the difference between this being a victory for Clemson and this being a blowout. Not excuses, just facts. Clemson is the better team, deserved to be No. 2 all year without a doubt, but the gap isn't as large as it looked.

Jan 2, 2019, 7:40 AM

was more impressed with ND defense than ND offense

When we beat OSU in playoff by a similar score, I thought the same

Neither one of those offenses could get it going against clemson D but the defenses put up good performances for the most part

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 8:07 AM

their offense was terrible. i would have pulled Book and put in Wimbush. He has much more experience against heavy rush and better teams, michigan, georgia, lsu last year. The thing with BW is that he will give you 50% completion no matter if he is facing Ball state or Georgia, and that was all book was giving you, but without any production, so why not try. At that point, he wasn't going to win the game, but maybe score a TD.

Honestly, ND's offensive line isn't great, but they played well enough to score a TD. Book missed throws and the receivers, once again, played scared.

Jan 2, 2019, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Re: When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us. ]

So what you are saying is Clemson is a deeper and better team period, right? Wonder if ND would have even had 3 with Dexter in....ND wasn't the only team with a major player missing. Sounds like a poor excuse considering Clemson had their 2nd and 3rd strings in the end of the game, and ND's first string still couldn't score a TD, don't you think?

Jan 2, 2019, 8:04 AM

Yes i am saying that Clemson is a deeper and better team, i believe i just said that? The difference is that you had a capable backup for Dex, our capable backup transferred, then his capable backup tore his acl. Its not excuses, just facts. Clemson is the better team.

ND's offense still sucked. that doesn't change anything that happened. My point was to explain why ND stopped blitzing. Had that not happened, i think we see a 17ish-3 game, but 21-10 because our defense could have actually helped out a little. Clemson wins, but maybe its not embarrassing for ND. Honestly, with the way the rest of the games went, it took a lot of heat off of ND's performance. i mean, they are still everyone's favorite punching bag, and sometimes they deserve it, but at least now there is no clear team that you can say, hey they should have been in instead..

So, you are saying your team had no depth. We played THE

Jan 2, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: When Notre Dame blitzed everyone they could send they had success stopping us. ]

ENTIRE GAME without our All American defensive tackle, and you couldn't run on us anyway for chit. Excuses are for losers, and the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, you are saying your team had no depth. We played THE

Jan 2, 2019, 8:33 AM

not excuses, facts. We couldn't move the ball in anyway. Our offense played terrible. How many times do i need to say Clemson is the better team? Find once where i said ND should have won? Clemson has better depth then ND. For ND to have a shot in this game, everything had to go perfect. There are only a couple positions we could have absorbed an injury, our All American Corner (and should have won the Thorpe Award). Clemson could have had an injury at numerous spots and won that game. Congrats on the victory.

Sounds a lot like excuses...

Jan 2, 2019, 10:03 AM

And perceived facts. When Love's presence or absence is given as the main reason, it's a slap in the face to Clemson and the fact (that word) adjustments were made. Oh, that's right...not 'adjustments', opportunistic is the word. Yeah...opportunistic.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds a lot like excuses...

Jan 2, 2019, 10:09 AM

you can take it how you want to, but that is no way a slap in the face to Clemson. Clemson made adjustments in the game, those adjustments where made because of the injury and were wildly successful because of that injury. Heck, TL knew Love was out before the announcers did. It was a great move. But you can sit their and tell me that Clemson scores 20 in the 2nd quarter if hes not out?

Well...you're sitting there

Jan 2, 2019, 11:33 AM

Convinced Clemson wouldn't score 20 while he was out, so...yeah, I can. ;)

TL throws to his receivers and it hasn't been apparent who may be defending the receivers has a bearing on who he targets.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well...you're sitting there

Jan 2, 2019, 11:44 AM

He obviously didn't do as well when he was in... stats don't lie. This is one of the best corners in CFB, not just a good one. It matters.

It was a stellar gameplan.

Jan 2, 2019, 8:32 AM

They thought they could rattle a freshman. Most freshmen rattle under that kind of pressure, they see the wrong color jerseys and hear footsteps not made by feet. It didn't work.

Bama will try it and get the exact same result. Imo, ND's D-line is near as good as Bama's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was a stellar gameplan.

Jan 2, 2019, 8:35 AM

i dont know if they thought they could, i think they realized it was their only chance and HOPED they could. I was impressed with TL. Any chance he stays more then 2 years? i hope not lol

At least through 2020 when we play at South Bend.***

Jan 2, 2019, 10:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 2, 2019, 10:05 AM

#11 had a broken clavicle and was forced to play the rest of the game. Clearly, their roster wasn’t as deep as ours is. And in a game of attrition, that means EVERYTHING.

Jan 2, 2019, 10:09 AM

not nearly as deep, and thats a big problem at ND.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic