Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From a Clemson Student
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 4,948

From a Clemson Student

Apr 12, 2016, 3:07 PM

I'm currently a student at Clemson and the fact the people are outraged about the new ticketing plan does not make sense to me. It's simply capitalism. There are students willing to pay for season tickets; however, that does not necessarily mean the only way to sit in the lower bowl is to pay $225. This is just a way to guarantee students that they will have a seat for every game. I have had friends who missed going to the Notre Dame game because they were unable to sign up for tickets at 12:00 on Sunday. Radakovich is not 'exploiting' the students. The truth of the matter is that the Athletic Department, especially the football team, not only generates money for the school but also gives the University itself recognition as an academic institution. A lot of people would not come to Clemson if we were not a football school. I do think that the athletic department could have done a better job releasing the new plan, but why on earth is a petition going around saying "The school is MAKING us pay for football tickets"? Had the University hiked tuition by $225 (therefore making students pay) there would not be this much backlash, but no one is forcing anyone to pay any extra money. It's simply allowing those willing to pay extra for seats to do so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm guessing you're not voting for Bernie lol

Apr 12, 2016, 3:12 PM

good for you!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

has absolutely nothing to do with anything***

Apr 12, 2016, 4:26 PM

I think that XTiger's thought that he was a fan of pure

Apr 13, 2016, 1:18 PM

capitalism gave him the indication that he leans more towards the right side of the political spectrum given his fiscal views... which would not be Bernie haha.

It sucks that $225 can't go to pizza, beer or road games

Apr 12, 2016, 3:14 PM

but I would think that the fee will guarantee that those dedicated fans will be able to have a decent ticket to a game. I'm going back almost 20 years, but the thing that this could mess up is sitting with your class. It was kinda cool to move from the hill as a freshman to the 15-20 as a Sr.

I hope that IPTAY will give students donation credit on top of their ticket. That way they can start building up points for when they graduate.

Anuther good lesson for OP...

Apr 12, 2016, 3:16 PM

Beotchers gonna beotch!

thanks for your excellent note!

I'm a student too

Apr 12, 2016, 3:17 PM

and I had to sit in the upper deck every game last year because I got a guest ticket for every game possible. It's not like its the worst thing in the world, even though the atmosphere may be a little weaker. Students will pay for lower deck tickets and the administration knows this. Heck I'm about 95% sure I'm gonna pay too. It's not like students are not gonna go lol

Re: From a Clemson Student

Well-stated and glad to hear from a student on the matter.

Now --- can you please help this one understand? http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1566827&tstart=0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was a student, I would have paid that for the LD...

tickets. I saw way too many games from the top rows of the South Upper.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of 2008
Go Tigers!

Re: When I was a student, I would have paid that for the LD...

Apr 13, 2016, 12:14 PM

when I was a student there was no upper deck....

Me too.

Apr 13, 2016, 8:48 PM

Upper deck was a light pole. Oh wait... there were no light poles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Now wait a minute....

Apr 13, 2016, 12:30 PM

there's no room for rational, non-emotional thought on the T-nets.

Thanks for the well-written post. I think we'd all like for the students to not have to pay, but it's not the end of the world either.

When I was a student - there is NO WAY I could have afforded

Apr 13, 2016, 12:58 PM

to pay $225 for football tickets. It would have been a shame too - because I went to every football and basketball game, most baseball games, and many other sporting events.

There's gonna be some die-hard Tiger fans sitting in the upper deck (because they can't afford the lower deck) and there's gonna be a lot of hoo-hum-its-another-football-game fans in the lower deck because their parents can afford it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I was a student - there is NO WAY I could have afforded

Apr 13, 2016, 1:26 PM

There are a lot of adults that fall into that category too. Maybe Clemson should just give everyone free football tickets once Bernie makes them give a ll students free education.

Being a student is a little different - if you're attending

Apr 14, 2016, 8:50 AM

the University then tickets should be free. (Your current job is - going to school.)

Once you're an adult - then you're right - you're on your own. Buy tickets if you can afford 'em - don't buy 'em if you can't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to When I was a student - there is NO WAY I could have afforded ]

When I was a student, you could sometimes get a "scalped" ticket right before kickoff for 5 bucks, or less. We were, to put it mildly, not very good in those years. I like it much better now!

Apr 14, 2016, 8:00 AM [ in reply to When I was a student - there is NO WAY I could have afforded ]

Correct!-Muffy and Buffy aren't gonna pick up some part-time work to pay for the LD. Gonna be big Daddy

Apr 13, 2016, 1:10 PM

Thank you! I agree with everything you said. I saw the same thing with people that couldn't get tickets for the ND game and they were part of iptay. This way those students who go to every game are guaranteed a good seat. #### even when I got the lower deck tickets for the ND and FSU games I had to fight for seats. It was a complete crap show in the lower deck. People were standing on the benches, in the aisle between the benches, and on the stairs. This way everyone has a seat and not a section. To me if you aren't willing to get a summer job and save $225 by the end of the summer then thats on you. Because i bet those tickets will go on sale either by the end of july or early august.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's simply capitalism" isn't a reason to do it

Apr 13, 2016, 1:36 PM

There are things that shouldn't be capitalized. Some of the people who argue against charging students would say that the university shouldn't have a market for student tickets because the football team is part of the university, and the university exists to educate students. So students shouldn't just be treated as customers to be sold to.

Now, seeing that nearly other universities with big time football programs charge students for tickets, and acknowledging that many students will still get in for free, I think this is actually a good policy. $225 isn't such a high amount that anybody who really wanted the tickets couldn't easily save up the money. And students are still being charged much less than the market rate.

Apr 13, 2016, 2:27 PM

Thanks for answering a question I had regarding whether the $225 was added to the tuition.

I believe in capitalism. I also believe students shouldn't have to pay.

Apr 13, 2016, 11:43 PM

Does anyone charge their kids for dinner? Or movie? And when we say "Clemson Family", what the ell does that really mean?

Clemson ain't your mama.***

Apr 14, 2016, 12:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson ain't your mama.***

Apr 14, 2016, 6:10 AM

No , but it is UofSuC's daddy. ; )

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I watched games from the upper deck as a student

Apr 14, 2016, 12:32 AM

I have been in the upper deck for the majority of the games I have been to and loved it. Don't get me wrong, the hill and the lower deck with the students were very fun.

Death Valley is the most special stadium anywhere and it has no bad seats. I worked and went to school and I lived on ramen noodles and grits at times. I had a summertime job that held 20/% back so I had money when I was unable to work as much.

What happened when I got that money Labor Day weekend was I usually celebrated with keg parties Etc. I could tell you I didn't have money for tickets but I did...lol

It normally comes down for what we budget for or whatever our priorities are.

I can't imagine many parents(and both my girls have just graduated in the last 3 years) who would say I'm helping you with school but your going to have to take the free tickets but if they did I can't imagine a student being ungrateful at the best place on earth in the upper deck.

Of course this is my opinion.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: I watched games from the upper deck as a student

Apr 14, 2016, 5:12 AM

I have a feeling that most of the people that are outraged with this fee are the same ones that complain about paying more than face value for tickets.

I'm also a student of a similar opinion

Apr 14, 2016, 6:29 AM

Yeah, I'd be happier not paying for tickets, but I also know that this is a common practice at other big football schools. The fact we've held out this long is impressive. I think the "sticker shock" of $225 is what gets people riled up. The fact is, we have a better product on the field than what we've had in the past, and to keep that up, it may require more financial contribution from everyone. Also, people act like sitting in the upper deck is the worst thing ever. I've actually had some of my favorite game experiences up there. Being in the stadium is all I need. Sitting lower is just icing on the cake

Apr 14, 2016, 8:55 AM

wait, no way you are a student. you make far to much sense. amazing that most complaining will have this fee paid for by their parents and will have a permanent seat they will have to do nothing for except show up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 4,948
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic