Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's Cooking?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

What's Cooking?

Jul 15, 2019, 3:20 PM

Well, old Joe21 drew the short straw so I'm cooking dinner tonight. What's on the menu? Do you guys and gals like meat loaf? That's the main dish or, as some would say, the entrée. Got to have a couple of sides. My daughter suggested Brussels sprouts, I suggested speckled butter beans. Since it was a tie vote we're going to have both. I do love those speckled butter beans. No cornbread or biscuits but I'll probably load down a slice of bread with a generous "smearing" of butter and Guava Jelly. That Guava Jelly is some good stuff. If you have never tried it, it may take a while to create a craving such as mine.

There must be 392 recipes for meat loaf and I've probably sampled half that number. If I were to order meat loaf, it would be a bit different than the one I prepare. It's quite simple (that's why I like it) and I've made some changes. Normally, the recipe calls for one and one-half pounds of ground beef. I use one pound of ground beef and on-half pound of bulk sausage. With a ricer I create a uniform mixture of the two. The recipe calls for one-fourth cup of diced onion but I use an entire small to medium onion and have learned if I saute the onion it enhances the flavor. Add one egg (beaten), three-fourths cup of uncooked oats, one six-ounce can of tomato sauce, 1.5 tsp. salt and one-fourth tsp. of pepper. Some people add one-fourth cup of green pepper but I don't add the green pepper. I again use the ricer to get a uniform mixture of all the ingredients.

The next step is to put the mixture in a loaf pan and, if you so desire, pour a little ketchup on the top of the mixture. I'm not a big lover of ketchup so I skip this part. Bake at 350 F. for one hour and it's ready to serve.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's Cooking?

Jul 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

I think everybody eats meatloaf except my Dad. He could not stand the stuff. I always make mashed potatoes when we are having loaf. Make you a bed of mashed potatoes on your plate and lay one or two slices of meat loaf on top of them and ladle with some form of gravy. Petite garden peas go well with this combo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't let your meat loaf!

Jul 15, 2019, 3:42 PM

whatever that means

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 4:46 PM

I haven’t had guava jelly. When visiting my brother at the university of Florida a colleague of his had a trip to Orlando. I tagged along with him. On the way back to Gainesville he stopped and bought a crate of fresh guava. I have seldom smelled anything more vile. By the time we got home my head was bursting. So haven’t had the nerve to try it.Does the jelly maintain any of that smell?

Since you are a UF graduate and apparently in agriculture you may have my oldest brother, Luke Hammond. He was professor of soil science and soil physics.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 7:29 PM

Don't recall your brother. My field was machinery and did not have soil science. My entire career was in research plus some consulting after my retirement.

Guava jelly has a distinct taste. You either like it or you don't. Growing up in Florida and visiting relatives in South Florida I became familiar with guavas at an early age. They grow a lot of guavas in Pakistan and when I was working there I could find guava jelly in the markets. I kept a jar in my hotel room and bought bread at a nearby bakery as long as I was in one of the larger cities.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 5:09 PM

Your meatloaf recipe is almost the same as mine, Mr. Joe. I do the sausage/hamburger mixture with onion AND bell pepper, I use breadcrumbs soaked in milk instead of oats and add the tomato sauce, egg, salt and pepper. I top with bacon and then ketchup. I credit my mother-in-law with this recipe, rest her soul. As someone posted earlier, I always serve with mashed potatoes and early peas.

Yum yum!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 15, 2019, 5:39 PM

That sounds good Hawk. Will have to try it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 6:37 PM

At our house (when my wife was alive), meat loaf was a few times per year. Sides were always mashed potatoes and butter beans..... nothing better.

I experienced guava jelly for the first time when my parents took me on a vacation to Florida in 1952. Guava jelly has been the only jelly on my table since.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 9:21 PM

...ok, there's guava jelly, which is pretty darn good, and then there's durian - a Southeast Asian "fruit" considered a delicacy by those who will actually ingest this (stuff), but it's the most vile, raunchiest and unbelievably stinky consumable food substance known to man. It's banned on most commercial travel, certainly on flights. Don't even go there. Yeah, I tried it one time about ten years ago, and I'm still trying to get over it.

Go Tigers!!!

Re: What's Cooking?***

Jul 15, 2019, 10:03 PM

Fresh speckled trout I caught Friday

Jul 15, 2019, 10:06 PM

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic