Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What college FB Team has MORE Coaches kids on its roster than Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

What college FB Team has MORE Coaches kids on its roster than Clemson?

Jun 2, 2019, 10:08 AM

Saying, it's something numerical-wise I've not seen in my 60+ years of following college FB.

But, the way the coaches kids are used makes it a win-win situation for all.

Welcome Tyler Venables..you now get to play under your Dad, with your brother and the two Swinney boys!

Gut eR Done & Have Some Fun in Tigertown & DV#1.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What college FB Team has MORE Coaches kids on its roster than Clemson?

Jun 2, 2019, 10:15 AM

Plus, the Venables kids and the Herbstreit Twins can pick up all the tabs at the restaurants for the other players, Win Win...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 4:12 PM

I wonder how this works with these coaches kids...If his dad buys him a car is it a recruiting violation? If he Brent or Dabo hands their sons a few thousand dollars, is it considered paying players? If Dabo or Brents kids treats his team mates to steaks or help them financially would that be a recruiting violation even though other team mates with rich parents could do so? I just wonder if there has even been such a consideration, and how does the NCAA distinguish if it is just them being friends with their team mates vs their dads funneling money to the recruits for playing. How could the NCAA or the ACC determine what the case is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 10:18 AM

And Young Batson (and there may be a nephew and/or a legacy or two there as well - obviously good karma over all these Dabo classes). Clemson Family indeed! Go Tigers

Jun 2, 2019, 10:32 AM

It's not unusual to have siblings in the same program. When I was at Clemson we had 3 Gilstrap brothers in the program, there were 3 Childers brothers who played, there were 3 Anderson brothers , and I probably can name a few others. Genetics is a factor in talent, as well as in the lack thereof. Bottom line is, they still have to earn their playing time in practice and on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Were the Mahaffey brothers there too?***

Jun 2, 2019, 1:36 PM

Re: Were the Mahaffey brothers there too?***

Jun 3, 2019, 11:33 AM

They were before me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: What college FB Team has MORE Coaches kids on its roster than Clemson? ]

Kelley brothers,freddie and don in the mid and late 60's,but consecutively rather than concurrently.freddie and I were both at ft. Jackson together in the mid-70's.he wound up in travelers rest after discharge,and i came back north because of family considerations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

the stuckey brothers, who were both incredible.

Jun 2, 2019, 4:23 PM

Chuck and Rod Mcswain.......***

Jun 2, 2019, 5:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chuck and Rod Mcswain.......***

Jun 3, 2019, 11:43 AM

Yep. They were a good bit after me. They were there under Coach Ford. Chuck was a great running back for us, I believe and went on to a pro career.

Re: the stuckey brothers, who were both incredible.

Jun 3, 2019, 11:40 AM [ in reply to the stuckey brothers, who were both incredible. ]

They came in after me, but were great, especially Jim, who played on a couple of Super Bowl teams for SF.

Jun 3, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: What college FB Team has MORE Coaches kids on its roster than Clemson? ]

Don and, I'm pretty sure, a younger brother (maybe named Michael or Steve?) were there when I was. Don was a year older than me, and I'm pretty sure he had a younger brother come in as a kicker or punter maybe in my junior or senior year, but I may be mistaken about that .

Jun 2, 2019, 1:20 PM

Brady University?

South Carolina....think about it......... ***

Jun 2, 2019, 1:32 PM

Jun 2, 2019, 2:11 PM

I have noted something similar before. The kids being on the team add another dynamic.

It pays off in a number of ways ...

Jun 2, 2019, 4:01 PM

1) Two-deep players, prevalent at every position except WR and QB which can be 4 to 5-deep, feel little angst about having their place in starting line-up and their snaps taken away,
2) Half the team, the other half beyond the two-deep, are simply tough and bright character kids interested in doing the right thing and a career in coaching. They set an example in and off the field.
3)Clemson football GPA, lack of arrests, and team work all trends in the right direction. And having the coaches' kids around facilitate good behavior all around. Are they snitches? Who knows? Why chance it?

Even better news are ballers like Christian Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell who lead from the top ... Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: SocMan2®

Re: It pays off in a number of ways ...

Jun 2, 2019, 4:16 PM

SocMan2® said:

1) Two-deep players, prevalent at every position except WR and QB which can be 4 to 5-deep, feel little angst about having their place in starting line-up and their snaps taken away,
2) Half the team, the other half beyond the two-deep, are simply tough and bright character kids interested in doing the right thing and a career in coaching. They set an example in and off the field.
3)Clemson football GPA, lack of arrests, and team work all trends in the right direction. And having the coaches' kids around facilitate good behavior all around. Are they snitches? Who knows? Why chance it?

Even better news are ballers like Christina Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell who lead from the top ... Go Tigers!

Why are you calling Wilkins Christina??? Are you a coot, or was that a typo?

Thanks Sarge ... either mis-type or a self-correct ...

Jun 2, 2019, 4:21 PM

Fridge, DW4 and CW42 are probably my all-time favorites along with Bubba Brown, Jeff Davis and on and on ...

Re: Thanks Sarge ... either mis-type or a self-correct ...***

Jun 2, 2019, 4:23 PM

Re: Thanks Sarge ... either mis-type or a self-correct ...

Jun 2, 2019, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Thanks Sarge ... either mis-type or a self-correct ... ]

SocMan2® said:

Fridge, DW4 and CW42 are probably my all-time favorites along with Bubba Brown, Jeff Davis and on and on ...

Thanks for clearing that up...glad it was just a mistake, and I just made one as well by hitting post message instead of quote original, but not being a premium member, I cant delete or edit my post.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic