Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are y'alls thoughts on Georgia Tech and their future?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

What are y'alls thoughts on Georgia Tech and their future?

Jul 7, 2019, 1:20 PM

PJ was a winner but we all know they weren't going anywhere with that offense. Now they got a guy who has a lot of energy and can recruit. I think it will make this game fun again since it hasn't been competitive for a few years.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are y'alls thoughts on Georgia Tech and their future?

Jul 7, 2019, 1:36 PM

I kind of liked it when they weren't competitive They beat us a lot years ago. Time to catch up

Jul 7, 2019, 3:26 PM

Catch up sounds good but, I would rather them to be good while we're at out best!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Bumble Bees are a long way off from

Jul 7, 2019, 1:36 PM

beating Cumberland 222 to 0!

Jul 7, 2019, 1:46 PM

None other than I hope they dont have much of one. I dislike their arrogance and nerdiness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put Georgia Tech in the SEC and they're what, Georgia?

Jul 7, 2019, 1:49 PM

with Vanderbilt academics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Put Georgia Tech in the SEC and they're what, Georgia?

Jul 7, 2019, 1:59 PM

Well they def aren't Vandy since they have 4 National Championships, 16 conference championships, and a winning record against us. Yea they got great academics but they have accomplished a lot more than Vandy in football. Night and day really.

Jul 7, 2019, 2:14 PM

Are you a GT fan? You sound like one.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Clearly.***

Jul 7, 2019, 2:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 7, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Put Georgia Tech in the SEC and they're what, Georgia? ]

Negative. I sound like one? Huh? Whatever jack.

Jul 7, 2019, 2:28 PM

You got awfully defensive when they were compared to Vandy (even though it was just academics). It also doesn't help that they are all that you've ever posted about.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Georgia Tech Was In The SEC-ond

Jul 7, 2019, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Put Georgia Tech in the SEC and they're what, Georgia? ]

GeekyTiger81 I didn't know that about GT, I will have to update a post on another thread I made earlier today.

To answer the question: "It could get rougher for all the schools including Clemson who relied on the Greater Atlanta area"! "Could Get" is not the same as will get. Clemson is to the point where our staff can go directly to Tuscaloosa and get a recruit! Or Columbus, Ohio and get one. GT having a modern offense and a coach who seems to be a players coach will make them something to contend with.

p.s. why isn't GT a Blue Blood of the sport then? Auburn is and they have two(57 and 10). Anywho, I think GT has the talent pool to be successful. The coach to be successful and they play Clemson each year. This means, for those wanting that big game atmosphere of two ranked teams, GT could fill that void yearly (potentially). They looked good in their spring game albeit against each other!

GT, VT, FSU and Miami could really help the ACC champion out by being good. Be it Clemson or someone else; I do see the benefit of having multiple highly regarded teams. It means you are maybe allowed a loss and still get in.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Put Georgia Tech in the SEC and they're what, Georgia? ]

Don't forget that John Heisman coached at 4 colleges, inc GT and Clemson.

Yet 3 of the 4--inc GT and Clemson-- have never had a Heisman Award winner.

The only one that has is that SEC school, Auburn, with both Pat Sullivan and Superman as winners.

I don't think any of Vandy's coaches have had awards named for them. At least, not for their success at Vandy. I'd name one for Bobby Johnson just for the fun of it, and 'cause he was a great Clemson guy before becoming a Paladin/Commodore.

Jul 7, 2019, 2:06 PM

PJ thought that GT academics prevented him from fielding a competitive team; that's why he ran the option, to "equalize the talent level."

If the Jackets are going to return to a system that requires talent to succeed, i think it will take them 2 years to recruit and develop talented players. Then we might find ourselves recruiting the same type guys.

I think our first game in August with them will begin a little slow-paced, because we do not know what to expect, and we will be starting a lot of inexperienced talent, particularly on the D-line. But in Venables I trust. The second half will be all Clemson.

Jul 7, 2019, 2:21 PM

Yea, it kind of has that 2008 game feel. We knew what they were going to run but we weren't used to the speed of it. I think TL will put on a show.

Good point on the academics. Academic standards

Jul 7, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: What are y'alls thoughts on Georgia Tech and their future? ]

are great. Clemson has them and Stanford has higher ones. Both those schools and others have, within those standards, athletic friendly majors coupled with jam up academic support facilities and staff, plus personal and professional development. High standards but a supportive track geared for the reality of nearly full time athletic requirements. I dont know where GT stands on this now, but they have historically been behind on that approach. The new guy is going to improve them regardless, but if they are still behind on this there will be a ceiling on the success, I think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Re: What are y'alls thoughts on Georgia Tech and their future? ]

PJ ran the option because that's his offense. He didn't run anything else.

Biggest myth in college football is that "academic standards" keep players out of schools like GT, Vandy and Duke.

I think you talk about GT...

Jul 7, 2019, 2:13 PM

a lot. In fact, that’s all you’ve ever talked about, going back to your very first post.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-GTech-25045254#25045254

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I think you talk about GT...

Jul 7, 2019, 2:23 PM

Please. My father went there so obviously I know about the school and team. I live in Georgia. But don't get it twisted.

So you don’t talk about them a lot, and your first post...

Jul 7, 2019, 2:28 PM

wasn’t about them?

Ok.

Re: So you don’t talk about them a lot, and your first post...

Jul 7, 2019, 2:39 PM

The first couple of years with the new coach and OC will be ugly as they try to run a modern spread offense with option players. It should be easier to recruit better players now, but it will take three to four years to see a considerable difference on the field. With that said, to really turn the corner they need a massive giving campaign to bring their subpar facilities inline with the teams they are recruiting against. If they fail to invest in the program, it’s going to be hard to pull top level talent, even with a revamped offense.

Jul 8, 2019, 3:18 PM [ in reply to So you don’t talk about them a lot, and your first post... ]

Whoa, Francis.

You are usually the Welcome Wagon around here. What did the newbie say to get you so *$*&y?

We’re dealing with an imposter.***

Jul 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

Jul 8, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to So you don’t talk about them a lot, and your first post... ]

Whoa, Francis.

You are usually the Welcome Wagon around here. What did the newbie say to get you so *$*&y?

The Coastal division is a zoo. The new guy there can

Jul 7, 2019, 2:20 PM

swing a few more locals probably and redirect the offense to something more conventional. In the long game, Ga Tech will only flourish when those around are going through soft periods, so give them three years to check UGA and the Dabo Era to catch back up with the CU.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Coastal division is a zoo. The new guy there can

Jul 7, 2019, 2:46 PM

Gotta laugh at this guy

You’re clearly a fan of Clemson and GT....or maybe just GT..

No biggie....just don’t think you’re fooling anyone...
You literally put GT in your username ...
Geeky
Tiger

Jul 7, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to The Coastal division is a zoo. The new guy there can ]

Gotta laugh at this guy

Geeky
Tiger

Jul 7, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to The Coastal division is a zoo. The new guy there can ]

Gotta laugh at this guy

Geeky
Tiger

Soooo... laugh now?

Jul 7, 2019, 5:29 PM

~JKB

Jul 7, 2019, 3:42 PM

I will miss the expressions on PJ's face as CBV shuts down their offense. It was fun to watch. I think GT will, in time, go back to being competitive in the ACC again and be a tough opponent for us. Not this year, but give the new coach a couple of years.

Jul 7, 2019, 4:45 PM

I think they are due for an advanced course in Pain and Suffering this year.

That first season converting from an option attack is brutal. Brutal. You literally have to rebuild everything. You have no throwing QB's, or at least nobody on the roster who can complete 50% of their passes. You have no WR's who are used to doing anything but run blocking and winning the occasional jump ball. You have no TE's. You've got an excess of "A-backs" - meaning, WR/RB hybrids who are too lanky to be good RB's but generally too short to be anything but slot receivers and "B-backs" - meaning, fullbacks who can run power and the dive and that's about it. You probably have no true RB's on the roster. Your entire OL was basically five run-blocking guards all the way across who were good at diving at people's knees...now they're going to have to learn to play tackle, pass-protect, and do things like run inside zone schemes and reach block, which they haven't done, like, ever.

Oh, and your D is paper-thin and was a high-risk/high-reward takeaway-oriented crew that could guess and gamble because the offense hogged the time of possession to the tune of 40 minutes a game, and all they had to do was get a turnover or two a game. That's gone now too.

But yeah...other than that, the prognosis is golden. With a really good coach, the Bees might catch back up with Wake and Duke in 2-3 years.

I can see a lot of I-Formation as part of the transition.

Jul 7, 2019, 6:06 PM

An overload of RB's and an OL counting on backfield support. It's going to be a rough few years for the Bees getting their legs under them, but the Coastal is wide open for the foreseeable future so anything goes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can see a lot of I-Formation as part of the transition.

Jul 7, 2019, 8:29 PM

The Tigers will destroy them next month. Too much change too quickly for the Jello Jackets. Maybe Collins turns it around, but it will take some time.

Jul 7, 2019, 8:32 PM

They will be bad for a long time. No telling past that.

Jul 8, 2019, 1:00 PM

In other words what Carlsbad is really saying, is that GT will be suffering through major growing pains for several years before they are able to make the climb back into the top 5-6 in the ACC. It maybe baby steps for GT for a while, but I do believe they will make it back to one of the better teams in the ACC, especially with the shape that the better of the ACC FB schools are in right now. FSU and louisville will be suffering through growing pains a few more years also, so GT isn't in that boat by them selves, there are a few others in that same boat with them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm curious how they will adapt to an offense showcasing

Jul 8, 2019, 1:58 PM

the forward pass.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm curious how they will adapt to an offense showcasing

Jul 8, 2019, 3:42 PM

Slowly ;)

They are about to get swatted in DV in about 7 weeks...

Jul 8, 2019, 2:13 PM

Their new coach gets his first lesson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are about to get swatted in DV in about 7 weeks...

Jul 8, 2019, 2:38 PM

I don't think it's possible for their O to be more 'dysfunktional' this year against us than last year's.

They are lucky to be playing us in August. I think we go to the half about 10-7 and then win by 3 TDs.

I think if we play them in Oct-Nov we would beat them by 50.

We could have 5 TDs by halftime...***

Jul 8, 2019, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 2:28 PM

I think they will be back quicker than expected with 8-9 wins range. Might take 2-3 seasons but considering how bad the the Coastal is right now, I would say they are in a better position than VT, Miami and UNC. With FSU also in the gutter and Smart getting a reputation as a loser. I think UofL got the better coach of the new hires in ACC play but GT is a better spot recruiting wise.

Jul 8, 2019, 3:50 PM

Their toughest task will be finding the really good players that will qualify getting into GT I guess bc, I really don't know if it's any different getting into GT in sports as it is for any other ACC school!!!

Jul 8, 2019, 4:01 PM

Well, they can't just pull a UNC and make fake courses? Does Mack know?

Kinda, but *better* academics appears to be a better selling point but finding quality players for their course offerings (more limited than other ACC schools). I think they can find their players, if UVA, Duke, Wake.... errr, ok, they have a tough road but their academics might keep a few out but then again against the Dukes, Wakes, UVA etc, they are not fighting bad reputations.

It's a wreck.

Jul 8, 2019, 2:40 PM

A rambling wreck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Jul 8, 2019, 2:58 PM

I'm going to let you slide with "can recruit" relative to PJ's couldn't recruit. Anyone with a new scheme, "could recruit".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a highly regarded academic institution.

Jul 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

Sometimes recruits call it Georgia Tech University ...which is not correct.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic