Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego

Feb 7, 2018, 11:50 AM

Hate that we lost him to VATECH, we should not lose a 4 star LB to them, from Shelby NC given where we are at and have been and will be vs the Hokies but it happened. It was difficult timing in that there was a scholarship available and then not and then there was. I'm sure that the kid got a bit perturbed about that. If he was a lifelong Tiger, like Bouleware, then he still comes but this kid is apparently not and perhaps, and more important, maybe his coach Dad does.

Sounds like his Dad is not a big BV fan and could part of that be because we took BV's son Jake as a scholarship player before his son Dax and Dax was a higher rated LB, played in the AA game, etc. Given that Dad is also a coach, maybe he took that personally and an example of "daddy ball". I AM NOT saying that this occurred, but perhaps Dax's Dad thought it did. His love of Bud Foster and VATECH vs BV and Dax's opportunity to win a Natty, really makes no sense otherwise, given the results of BV's tenure at Clemson.

All very interesting........

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego

Feb 7, 2018, 11:55 AM

Excellent post. Parents can me their kids own worst enemy at times. Especially when these teenagers have difficult decisions to make.

Dax Dad May have cost his son a possible NFL career. Look at the players BV has helped put in the NFL vs Bud Foster!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 11:58 AM

Very good point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first time reality hits Dax he will realize the opportunity

Feb 7, 2018, 12:04 PM

A once in a lifetime opportunity, he missed. Good luck Dax and for his dad's sake things better go great at Va Tech.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure Foster has put his fair share of players

Feb 7, 2018, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego ]

in the NFL.

Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with

Feb 7, 2018, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego ]

And it's not like Bud has a shortage of players he has put in the NFL either.

Kam Chancellor, Brandon Flowers, Jason Worilds, Kyle and Kendall Fuller just to name a few. Heck, depending on where you look, the top draft eligible LB this year is Tremaine Edmunds.... from Virginia Tech... coached by Bud Foster.

As I've said in the other thread, Venables is a heck of a football coach. But Venables tends to have more to work with from a personnel perspective... which explains why he has more players in the NFL. Venables gets 5 star results from 4 and 5 star talent. Bud gets 4.5 star results from 3 and 4 star talent. They both do a great job at getting the very most they possibly can out of who they have.

Congratulations on the pickup.***

Feb 7, 2018, 12:21 PM

And congrats on the excellent overall class

Feb 7, 2018, 12:24 PM

There certainly aren't any signs of your program falling anytime soon if this class is any indication. Dabo has the train rolling. Hopefully in a few years we can be rolling along side yall and set up a top 10 matchup in the ACCCG between the Hokies and Tigers year in and year out.

Re: Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with

Feb 7, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with ]

What are the Bud Foster results you speak of? Overall defense? Yardage given up per total defensive star ranking???

Where has VaTech been in terms of defense ranking over the past 5-10 years? Asking for a friend.

I'd say his resume speaks for itself

Feb 7, 2018, 12:49 PM

I'll just use yards/game to keep it consistent (plus I found it easily).

2017: 12th
2016: 19th
2015: 34th (a blip)
2014: 17th
2013: 4th
2012: 18th
2011: 10th
2010: 52nd (whoa... never woulda guessed that one)
2009: 12th
2008: 7th
2007: 5th
2006: 1st
2005: 1st
2004: 4th

And that's as far as ESPN goes. Sure, the rankings are a bit lower right now than they were in the mid-late 2000s, but the personnel hasn't been as good as it was back then either. We don't have as many Kam Chancellors, Xavier Adibis, Vince Halls, etc.

Wow, looking at those numbers I realize how much

Feb 7, 2018, 1:11 PM

Bud Foster sucks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Wow, looking at those numbers I realize how much

Feb 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

how do you explain our last 4 loses to them??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

TL; DR***

Feb 7, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with

Feb 7, 2018, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Well, Venables tends to have better players to work with ]

Not a bad post. Can’t argue with any of that. Of course BV is our guy and we’d take him over anybody. Nothing personal against Bud cause I’m pretty sure everybody here has respect for him as a coach. He always has good defenses.

Feb 7, 2018, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Dax situation........difficult timing and perhaps some ego ]

His dad made it clear when he said that Brent was no Bud Foster (Bud is supreme). That statement is abserb. Bud's Ds have not been dominate in a decade and Bud coaches DBs, not LBs. Brent has only averaged a LB or two into the NFL every year he has been at Clemson and his defenses have been ranked in the Top 10 for pretty much the entire time he has been our DC. Seems like his only non Top 10 D was his first season, which was young/older players were not as talented as the up and coming players at that time/straighten out Kevin S's mess. Yeah, Brent is light years behind Bud. Dax's dad did go on to say Brent is a good DC, though. Ha

Feb 7, 2018, 12:07 PM

Honestly I really don't care we missed on this kid. Between Mike Jones, Venables, Shaq Smith, Chad Smith, oh and then our starters, I don't think he even goes near the field. Good luck in Blacksburg ha

Feb 7, 2018, 12:35 PM

Honestly I really don't care we missed on this kid. Between Mike Jones, Venables, Shaq Smith, Chad Smith, oh and then our starters, I don't think he even goes near the field. Good luck in Blacksburg ha

Why comment if you did not care. Dax would have helped us. I do think he will play sooner at Tech than he would have here but you never know. He would have played special teams for us next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 12:09 PM

Jake has been committed for a while. There is only so many slots available at that position. Timing was everything on this one. Scholarship opened a little late and Clemson tried to jump back in on him. Wish him the best with the Hokies.

Feb 7, 2018, 12:46 PM

Jones was the one committed for a long time. It was Jake who was allowed a chance to commit when Dax wasn't. Jake committed for Brent's last birthday (12-18-17). I believe he actually committed on the 17th.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article121632592.html

Its pretty simple...We backed off, VT never did.***

Feb 7, 2018, 1:00 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic