Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions about Batson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Questions about Batson

Mar 18, 2015, 4:40 PM

I consider myself to be a big time Clemson football fan, being a student and enjoying every last second of every last home game (and the occasional away/bowl game). However, I don't know all that much about our strength and conditioning program run by Coach Batson, and I've heard of a few people having a bit of a gripe with him.

First question for you guys: How do you have any idea? Really just curious, and props to you for having that kind of an inside track with the program. What makes him that much worse of a coach than what they have at the Georgias, Auburns, and Floridas of the world? I watch these games against some of the bigger-bodied, more physical teams, and it honestly doesn't look like we're inferior to them, to me.

Second, and once again just out of curiosity and my apparent ignorance, how is it that we have guys like Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett practically setting the standards at the combines and pro-days, if they were so poorly coached and taught by Batson? It's a little hard to believe that he's the absolute wrong guy for the job if we continue to crank out these pro-ready, NFL size-and-speed guys.

For the record, I think certain drills that they run at the combine are completely overrated and have nothing to do with actual football.

Explain and debate away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions about Batson

Mar 18, 2015, 4:47 PM

I think the whole argument against Batson has turned into a sad parody of itself these days, but we still like to kid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2015, 4:50 PM

> I consider myself to be a big time Clemson football
> fan, being a student and enjoying every last second
> of every last home game (and the occasional away/bowl
> game). However, I don't know all that much about our
> strength and conditioning program run by Coach
> Batson, and I've heard of a few people having a bit
> of a gripe with him.
>
> First question for you guys: How do you have any
> idea?
Really just curious, and props to you for
> having that kind of an inside track with the program.
> What makes him that much worse of a coach than what
> they have at the Georgias, Auburns, and Floridas of
> the world? I watch these games against some of the
> bigger-bodied, more physical teams, and it honestly
> doesn't look like we're inferior to them, to me.
>
> Second, and once again just out of curiosity and my
> apparent ignorance, how is it that we have guys like
> Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett practically setting the
> standards at the combines and pro-days, if they were
> so poorly coached and taught by Batson? It's a little
> hard to believe that he's the absolute wrong guy for
> the job if we continue to crank out these pro-ready,
> NFL size-and-speed guys.
>
> For the record, I think certain drills that they run
> at the combine are completely overrated and have
> nothing to do with actual football.
>
> Explain and debate away.

Explanation: This is the internet. No one is required to have any idea before they speak. They simply need to phrase their opinion as fact. For proof see with my previous statement.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson and Jarrett didn't train with Batson for the combine***

Mar 18, 2015, 5:13 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Watson and Jarrett didn't train with Batson for the combine***

Mar 18, 2015, 5:29 PM

I doubt that whoever they did train with miraculously put them in a position to stand out like they did. What they did on the field and in the weight room is an accumulation of years of work.

True, but

Mar 18, 2015, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Watson and Jarrett didn't train with Batson for the combine*** ]

you also have to consider the fact that from the end of the season until the combine they are spending 8+ hours a day training to maximize their athletic abilities instead of going to school, practice, games, etc.

Re: Watson and Jarrett didn't train with Batson for the combine***

Mar 18, 2015, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Watson and Jarrett didn't train with Batson for the combine*** ]

So what? They performed admirably for the Tigers in 2014. My guess would be their Agent would dictate who they train with. No doubt, if Dabo did not think Batson was doing the job Batson would not be there!

for some reason I've never fully understood, another

Mar 18, 2015, 5:15 PM

Clemson website had a huge issue with Coach Batson and essentially never stopped challenging his abilities.....despite the fact that Batson's won all kinds of awards and is highly respected in his field. People on Tigernet were simply parroting the views of that other website because they truly had no clue about Clemson's S&C program and were trying to explain away football losses to (usually) more talented teams....some time ago.

All those "anti-Batson" experts on Tigernet slunk off in humiliating fashion or changed their handles (which is essentially the same thing) and the "other" Clemson website is no longer in existence.

Practically the only time its even mentioned on Tigernet these days is in a joke.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it boils down to this

Mar 18, 2015, 5:27 PM

Dabo loves Batson. For many, that is all that matters and anyone who questions Batson is questioning Dabo, which is taboo on T-Net.

There are some who feel his type of training is not ideal as, while it may build mass in some, it often causes some players to lose speed &/or flexibility. You will hear the term "functional strength" used as a metric; how many times someone can bench press 225 lbs is not (by most standards) an indication of NFL (or college) success.

I have heard that some of the new, younger coaches have made some progress in the types and techniques used, which supposedly are paying off.

You also can't use individual players as examples for either side as for every Vic or Grady, there are those whose performance/strength is below par. It has to be looked at as a whole.

Where do I fall (not that you asked): I wish the AD would get an independent review of our S&C program, which would include nutrition, sports psychology, trainers/doctors, etc. I would like for Clemson to be first-rate in every category for all the athletes. Are we there? I don't know but with the crazy money we are spending on the programs, it seems a worthwhile endeavor to spend a few hundred thousand since the S&C folks are with the players year-round. If we need to adapt or modify some programs or methods to make the athletes better, I would like to know. I do know both sides of the argument have some legitimate perspectives/examples.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it boils down to this

Mar 18, 2015, 5:35 PM

I agree that you can't necessarily just look at the standouts, you have to take everyone into consideration. Who, then, comes up short from an S/C standpoint, and who is just an underperforming player?

Someone like Charone Peake hasn't necessarily panned out to what he could've been, but injuries happen all across the country and he seems to have experienced his fair share.

I don't know much about evaluating offensive line, but as far as the skill players that we're putting on the field week in and week out, they look just fine to me. And like I said, we've fared pretty well against LSU, Ohio State, Georgia in 2013, SC (in the trenches, at the very least), Boston College, and some other physical teams we've had to play over the last couple years.

Mar 18, 2015, 5:42 PM

I'm not about to go down a list of players as Batson has been here since Bowden's era I believe. There are plenty of articles from multiple sources if you want to research it.

you seem to have your mind made up, which is fine. I really don't care as frankly, until Dabo fires him he will be here .... it is clear, Dabo loves him so he is the S&C coach until he retires.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2015, 5:46 PM

I don't have my mind made up at all and I hope I wasn't coming off that way, I was just asking for an example or two. The first thing I said in the original post was that I really don't know much about our S&C program or the coaching that goes along with it. Just curious.

No there aren't any articles, except from one fan ran website...

Mar 18, 2015, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I think it boils down to this ]

shakingthesouthland whose info comes form high school coaches that can't get their teams to the playoffs

Mar 18, 2015, 6:19 PM [ in reply to I think it boils down to this ]

Agreed. We need a review.,,, heck , Batson can even have a co/coordinator. Someone fresh out , with new innovative ideas

you still want the Bama S&C program of BBQ and McDonalds***

Mar 18, 2015, 7:00 PM [ in reply to I think it boils down to this ]

Re: you still want the Bama S&C program of BBQ and McDonalds***

Mar 18, 2015, 7:12 PM

No, you can always improve. Dabo, players, AD, S &C, as coaches and as men.

I promise you don't want to argue with this crowd,

Mar 18, 2015, 6:01 PM
image.jpg(98.5 K)

Less intelligent people tend to look for someone to blame for their frustrations, they dont have a coach to blame and can't seem to comprehend what exactly a strength and conditioning coach is so they immediately blame Joey Batson simply because they don't understand how any of it including the human body works. I've seen people try to blame joey batson and the S&C coaches for ligament injuries like Deshaun Watsons acl.... If you understand the human body in the least bit then you will understand how stupid some of these people are. My advice is to just ignore them and let them think what they want to think, facts and reason are not allowed in an argument with people like that. I believe this picture nicely sums up an argument with people like these or the coots you see on message boards.

Mar 18, 2015, 6:03 PM

Coach Batson is an excellant coach. Our players are in great hands. Some people just want something to complain about and for some reason he becomes an easy target.

perhaps this will help a little

Mar 18, 2015, 6:04 PM

Joey Batson
Position: Director of Strength and Conditioning

Joey Batson is now in his 28th year as a Strength & Conditioning Coach at the collegiate level and 18th year as the Director of Strength Training at Clemson University. He has served as a head strength and conditioning coach 24 of his 28 years of service.

Batson was named Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa) in May of 2009. This honor is the highest given in the strength and conditioning coaching profession. "This is an incredible honor for Joey," said CSCCa Executive Director, Dr. Chuck Stiggins. "Being named a Master Strength and Conditioning Coach signifies a commitment to the student athlete, a commitment to the Clemson Athletic Program, and a commitment to the strength and conditioning profession. We are honored to have Coach Batson as a member of our association and to have him join the ranks of the Master Strength and Conditioning Coaches. He is truly a model of an outstanding strength and conditioning professional."

Batson was familiar with the Tiger program before he started his career in a full-time capacity, having served as a graduate assistant in the Strength & Conditioning Department from 1985-88. In the course of his professional career, he has pioneered many training techniques in the strength, speed, and conditioning field. Batson has studied the programs and practices of a broad range of experts in the fields of powerlifting, Olympic lifting, and speed & agility training. Batson's strength and conditioning program at Clemson is a multi-faceted, high-intensity approach which consists of exercises to enhance explosive power, lifts to develop maximum strength, auxiliary exercises to enhance muscle mass, core development, posterior chain enhancement, position-specific training, and the foundation of the program and king of all sport - speed. The collection of innovative techniques has led to impressive results by many of his athletes throughout his career.

His competitive weight training experience began in 1987 where he placed 4th in San Jose, California in The American Drug Free Power lifting Association National Championships and 5th the following year in Chicago Illinois. From 1985 to 1987, Batson achieved a top 20 ranking in the ADFPA's 275 lb. Class and achieved the Master and Elite lifters classifications.

Batson has had a strong impact on the Clemson program since he became Director in 1997. He has had much to do with the success the football program, helping the Tigers to 14 bowl games and seven top-25 finishes. While at Clemson, Batson has worked for three head football coaches and has had a tremendous impact throughout the state of South Carolina at many notable high school programs.

An example of his respect level in the profession is demonstrated by the number of former assistants who are now Assistants and/or Directors at other universities including conferences such as the ACC and SEC along with several high-profile high school programs in the state of South Carolina, including teams that have won the state championship.

Prior to his return to Clemson, Batson served as the first full-time Director of Strength Training at Furman University. In 1996, he was named Strength & Conditioning Professional-of-the-Year in the Southern Conference by the National Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association after the Paladins made it to the second round of the NCAA 1 AA playoffs. In addition to his four years at Furman, he also worked as the first full-time Director of Strength & Conditioning at Bowling Green State University, and served a year at the University of South Carolina as Assistant Director of Strength & Conditioning.

Not only does Batson bring professional experience to the position at Clemson, he brings experience as a football player at the collegiate level. The Travelers Rest, South Carolina native was a tight end at The Citadel in 1979 before transferring to Newberry College, where he was a two-year letterman and team co-captain during his senior season.

Batson earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in physical education from Newberry College and his Master's degree in education from Clemson University in 1988. Prior to his collegiate career, Batson was named to the 1977 South Carolina High School All State football team as a defensive end.

Batson is certified through the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association and is a member of several other professional groups. He has completed the Club Coach Certification program by the United States Weightlifting Federation. Batson was named the Muscle Milk Football Scoop Strength Coach of the Year in 2009.

During his tenure as the Director of Strength and Conditioning at Clemson, Joey Batson has coached, in football, 32 All-Americans, 106 All-ACC selections, 45 nominees for national awards, 24 Strength and Conditioning All-Americans, 8 NFL First Round draft picks, 59 NFL draft picks, 11 athletes chosen ACC Player of the Year, 4 Super Bowl Champions, and has helped Clemson to an appearance in 15 bowl games

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They play at different levels..

Mar 18, 2015, 6:19 PM

...because they are completely different human beings with completely different skill sets. No coach can just crank out Grady Jarretts at will.

We aren't inferior to those teams. Bulk and size does not always equate to line dominance as Ohio State found out last year against us at the Orange Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2015, 6:22 PM

Were gonna be filling up the offices in the WEZ, I'm sure S&C could stand a position or 2

Heres why

Mar 18, 2015, 6:42 PM

Because unlike 99% of Tigernet, I actually majored in Exercise Science and played college football. I know multiple Collegiate strength and conditioning coaches, and they all speak highly of Batson. I have the same certification he does, but he has it with distinction. To gain this edge, you HAVE to be involved with testing and experimentation of developing new strategies. You have to write a certain number of articles that are peer reviews for the National Strength and Conditioning Journal, which I get and read.

So to answer your question, the reason hes good isnt because some people on Tigernet that watch the games say he is, hes good because experts who devote their entire lives to this say he is.

the people griping about it love Bama's S&C coach whose....

Mar 18, 2015, 6:58 PM

players have pot bellies, and are so out of shape they can't defend up tempo offenses.

He was the go-to scapegoat for the contingent on TigerNet

Mar 18, 2015, 7:26 PM

who thinks they've figured out the solution to problem X is oversimplified into Y.

Basically people thought we weren't "tough" enough and figured it was the S&C Coach's fault.

Naturally slobber-knocking LSU, Auburn, UGA, anOSU, Oklahoma, etc. the last few years has seemingly quelled that stupid sentiment.

Anyone who has watched Tigers closely admire Batson

Mar 18, 2015, 7:40 PM

We have one of best conditioned fb teams in nation and great nutritionist too!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my opinion Batson does a great job

Mar 18, 2015, 8:34 PM

Seems like our team has been very well conditioned the last several seasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^^^^found juan***

Mar 18, 2015, 8:45 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic