Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching aTm's 7 OT win over LSU should make us aware their QB & WR'ers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,490

Watching aTm's 7 OT win over LSU should make us aware their QB & WR'ers

Jul 28, 2019, 1:44 PM

will make it a hotter than normal day in DV since they are a very tight & talented unit who compete til the end and make some unreal passing/catching td's seen last year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching aTm's 7 OT win over LSU should make us aware their QB & WR'ers

Jul 28, 2019, 1:59 PM

Their two point loss to us last year has me respecting them more than an OT win over LSU. Our offense is on another level from pretty much everyone except Bama, UGA, and OU., though, so I say we take them this year by 3 TDs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2019, 2:14 PM

Yes, and no...

I was just posting some early thoughts in another thread. I think Dabo knows how to shut down a one-dimensional team, and I think Jimbo is smart enough not to field a one dimensional team.

Things that hurt us (Aggies) this year vs Clemson:

1 - @ Clemson... I don't normally buy much into "home field advantage" arguments, except at only maybe a handful of schools. Clemson, Texas A&M for sure. LSU is tough to go into. I have never been, but I hear Oregon is daunting, maybe perhaps Michigan (never been, but I hear the big house does have it's advantages). Other than that, I think the "home field" argument is generally pretty weak. At U Texas, fans leave the stadium at halftime to go tailgate, and slowly filter back in sometime in the third quarter... they may get back into the game if they're up. Friends that have been to Bama report a good experience, but didn't really think the environment would affect the players much. I've been to Notre Dame, OU, Nebraska, K State, all the other Texas schools, bowls, etc. But the schools that come to mind that I hear from other fans about "true" home field advantage are Clemson, LSU, Oregon (apparently sound is loud) and maybe Michigan.

2 - Trayveon Williams - Left for the NFL early, was our go-to running back. No other running backs really seemed to approach his level last year. So unless one or two step up in our trash game to start the season, we may sputter the second game vs Clemson and be forced to go one-dimensionally to the passing game (but again, that would be bad...). BIG question mark here...

3 - Jace Sternberger - Our TE that played only one year as a JUCO last year before moving on to the NFL. Was a nice surprise, and saved our skins many times keeping the ball moving when needed.

4 - "Foundation": Not quite sure it's reasonable to say Jimbo has the foundation built. I normally don't hang seasons on just a few players (e.g. pointing out Williams and Sternberger above), but nor am I confident yet we have the foundation coming off the bench to replace them yet. And our first game vs Texas State will tell us absolutely NOTHING. I think Jimbo is a great coach (I know you guys hate him...). We saw a NIGHT AND DAY difference last year from the year before under Sumlin. But it's clear we don't have a "machine" yet like Clemson or Alabama. (Notice the word "yet" ;) ).

I don't disagree going into 2019 it looks VERY promising for our receiving corps. I can imagine Kellen Mond has only gotten better. He was horrible his freshman year, but Jimbo proved it was coaching. Last year, he looked much better, but not quite a "world beater". This year??? Kendrick Rogers will be the receiver to watch, as you saw him step up in the LSU game and was nursing some injuries last year. Other receivers not too shabby either. But we'll lose if we go one-dimensional and have a lot of questions to answer.

Jul 28, 2019, 2:57 PM

I will tell you that Jimbo is very good at the x's and o's side of the things, and he knows how to develop a QB. He also recruits extremely well - on paper.

The problem you're going to run into him is that he's an immoral little hustler who doesn't care diddly about his players or any other position other than QB, and he recruits utterly without regard to character and he lets his players get away with murder. He is also always chasing his next job and next paycheck; he was trying to better-deal FSU for at least three years before A&M finally stepped up and bit.

He can take a good program - which A&M was, which FSU still was even in the twilight of Bobby Bowden's career - and goose it for a few years, but the manner in which he does it has an expiration date. He burns up locker rooms and rosters, and his relationships with the school - he always wants more, more, more - and it ends up burning everyone around him out.

You'd better win now, is all I'm saying. FSU was left a gutted shell of itself and failed to make a bowl game for the first time in 36 years last year...and they looked bad doing it. Oh, and they had the lowest grad rate in FBS football too. (Ouch!)

Jul 28, 2019, 2:58 PM

+1 for immoral little hustler.
But I don’t know him personally so I’d give him the benefit of the doubt and simply call him amoral.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 28, 2019, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching aTm's 7 OT win over LSU should make us aware their QB & WR'ers ]

Well, respectfully, we Aggies reserve judgment on this and are probably in the better position to do so. I get you guys at Clemson faced him at FSU. But we have not seen anything to which you are referring, and this Aggie will reserve judgment and go on the facts as they (and if they) come out.

All I see in the "pundit land" are a bunch of innuendo about who he is. On the flip side, I know he has a special needs child and enjoyed the idea of moving closer to the Texas Medical Center for that, as one example.

In trying to honestly explore your claims, I flipped through the internet. Honestly, what has been PROVEN about his character? I see nothing.

On the flip side, FSU has a long history of being in the headlines for player issues. Before, during and after Jimbo. Remember back to the 90s (I do...)? "Free Shoes University"? May simply be that Jimbo stepped into a program that was ALREADY out of control, and welcomed a ticket out to a program like Texas A&M when presented with it. Just another view...

I did find recent articles from the Dallas News claiming some of which you are alluding to, that his players blame him for the downfall of FSU, they would have transferred if he hadn't left, etc. But I can assure you the Dallas News has always had an anti-A&M bias due to the U Tex lobby.

I found this article in 2014. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2268212-its-on-jimbo-fisher-to-shake-up-florida-state-get-away-with-it-football-culture I think it is balanced. It is stating Jimbo should get a better hold on the team. But again, I ask, how out of control had the program been for years prior?

What was the larger culture surrounding the program? Why didn't the FSU administration want to give him better facilities, etc.? Context. I think it's fair to argue that sometimes even good, moral people find themselves in a quagmire they can't solve easily. Each school has a culture that will make or break a head coach, and the pundits are free to write anything, facts or not. It's the reason, IMO, I believe any head coach at U Texas will be behind the proverbial 8-ball. Charlie Strong was a great coach, look what happened to him (the arrogance and "big money" donors run that school).

If there's some real "proof" as to these claims, would like to see it. Otherwise, it's just bloated innuendo. I think the man is due a fair trial.

Jul 28, 2019, 3:50 PM

Okay. Come back in three or four years and we'll have this talk again. Be interesting to see what the jury has to say then.

I think he'll do pretty well with Mond, who has talent, and if he has a successor he could get you guys consistently up into the Top-10 or even Top-5 for awhile. FSU in 2014 was an absolute beast.

He couldn't sustain it, though, for the reasons mentioned above. And I can tell you his first stop upon arrival at A&M was the 7-on-7 camps, not the high school coaches...if you don't know what that means I'll just smile politely and amble on my way. Entirely too many of those 7-on-7 coaches are going very...AAU, right now.

Jul 28, 2019, 4:00 PM

Fair enough. I don't think anyone is perfect (there's only one that can claim this ;) ). But I also believe in facts than internet banter. I simply don't see any "facts". Maybe I missed it, but if he is constantly flaunting the rules that's commonly know, etc., where is there an NCAA ruling on all this? When there's that, I'll pass some judgment. I just don't see it and believe "context" matters in anyone's performance and life.

You're rigt, LB. That's why I'm glad they'll be

Jul 28, 2019, 4:34 PM

out of it by the first quarter.

Jul 28, 2019, 5:40 PM

Their QB in last years was getting some very lucky breaks with receivers bailing him out with many unbelievable catches. QB was getting the ball to his receivers with some having a hold of him and with awesome pressure on him, he just had luck with him in that game!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^True, lots of wild & seemingly lucky passes & catches last year, But

Jul 28, 2019, 7:08 PM

saw almost the same in their terrific 7OT win with Top 10 ranked LSU. Saying, Mond's a beast & so are some of his returning receivers.

We will see a Texas barn burner in SC's Death Valley #1; mark my word.

Can't wait for some mighty good competition and hopefully a terrific win to kick off the 2019 Natty Campaign!

Go TiGERS..Jeep ROCKing!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^True, lots of wild & seemingly lucky passes & catches last year, But

Jul 28, 2019, 8:59 PM

Great "postal" commentary - all of the above. And I agree with you, LBB - you give a very excellent recap of the reality and expectations. It should be an awesome game, perhaps one for the ages.

Go Tigers!!!

Jul 28, 2019, 9:04 PM

I believe his name is Rodgers, but I wish he were gone. That guy was a nightmare. He outbover 100 yards on us for sure. I think he has 1 more year. Their WR's are tough.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,490
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic