Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little history between Clemson and South Carolina....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 5,492

A little history between Clemson and South Carolina....

Nov 23, 2017, 9:25 AM

Way back when the games were always in Columbia, the Corps would board a train and encamp near the site of the game.

The earliest games were played off Elmwood Avenue, then later inside the State Fairgrounds. Fans had to buy tickets to the fair to attend the games. When Carolina bought the current site, wooden bleachers were initially built, then later expanded.

The series was suspended in the early part of the last century after near tragedy. Clemson, heavily favored, lost and Gamecock fans paraded a banner across the city, offending Clemson students. A formation of cadets marched to the Horseshoe with weapons and were met by Gamecock students, also armed. Only by the intervention of a Carolina assistant coach was tragedy avoided.

The Corps encamped for about a week, participating in a variety of activities with Gamecock students and fans. Most businesses closed the Thursday of the game with an assortment of state dignitaries attending. Hence, the name, Big Thursday. The series were finally made home-and-home in 1960.

During my days at CU in the 60's neither team had much to brag about; thus, the game was the BIG game of the year for both. I can still see the sea of orange rat caps and later orange boaters at the games, both of which I still have.

Now, GO TIGERRRRRRRRRRRS! BEAT THE CHICKENS! (By a significant margin, please.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A little history between Clemson and South Carolina....

Nov 23, 2017, 9:49 AM

I know that you will agree with me Mr. Hartins when I say that Coach Howard had a way of making these games even more important! Remember the pep rallies in the amphitheater and his pre game talk before these big games? Coach H never backed down to our friends in Capital City!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Prank"

Nov 23, 2017, 10:31 AM

I was reading in the Post And Courier about the prank before the 1961 game but it failed to mention the retaliation of the Clemson students who charged the field against the Sigma Nu fraternity who dressed up as Clemson football players. Do you remember any other details about this event?

Was at LAST BiG Thursday Game in Cola at Fair Grounds in 1959.

Nov 23, 2017, 10:52 AM

And TiGS beat Coots with 2 QB's (Harvey White & Lowndes Shingler).

I was a Frosh, seated on front row near shrubbery..and pre-game became upset along with a few others since Coot cheer leaders at mid field had ripped tail off the Tiger..

so we jumped over those bushes and headed out to mid-field..confronted one of their male cheer leaders (I weighed 125 lbs wet at 6' then; now a hefty 160 now)..

and he (at a muscular 180 lbs) took off on me personally and chased me back to my seat area where i dove over the shubbery head first, with him rippjng off my kakki pants rear pocket.

Unreal that we weren't arrested..but what a day to behold in my 1st encounter with a Coot & Coots!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was at LAST BiG Thursday Game in Cola at Fair Grounds in 1959.

Nov 23, 2017, 11:17 AM

Both White and Shingler were products of Pinky Babb from Greenwood. The prank as mentioned above used uniforms from Orangeburg High I believe......

Nov 23, 2017, 11:27 AM

Cool memories. I didn't move to SC (Charleston) until '66...from Mobile, AL...where I was raised a die-hard Tide fan. First college game I ever attended was the '67 Tigers-Tide game...I had never even heard of Clemson (I was 12...give me a break!). Six years later, I was a frosh at Clemson...and my crimson-tinted blood began to change to 'Solid Orange'.

I remember watching Greenwood (Coach Babb), Summerville (Coach McKissick), and even Orangeburg when O'Cain was the QB, playing against my high school (St. Andrews...no longer around...R.I.P.). Lost 'em all! LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving, Tiger Fans!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Was at LAST BiG Thursday Game in Cola at Fair Grounds in 1959. ]

Bill, you're a legend.

Re: "The Prank"

Nov 23, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to "The Prank" ]

You are referring to the time when the Usuck students(frats) ran on the field dressed as Tiger players and stumbled around like they were drunk pretending to be in pre game warm ups! Apparently there were Clemson students present who were offended by this act of comedy. I did not witness this but certainly heard about it. There are many others just as hilarious. The cow presented as homecoming queen at halftime is one of my favorites. Unfortunately the poor cow died of a heart attack On the field. RIP Bossy

Nov 24, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to "The Prank" ]

I was there. What do you want to know about it?

Nov 24, 2017, 11:02 AM [ in reply to "The Prank" ]

In later years I became friends with one of the students that was part of the Carolina
frats that pulled the 1961 stunt. Worked with him. They borrowed uniforms from Qrangeburg high school because they looked like Clemson's.
As they ran onto the field all the Clemson fans started cheering. They lined up and started loosing up, passing and kicking the ball. They started screwing up like they were drunk or clumsy. As soon as they did this the fans realized it was a trick and the Clemson section poured onto the field. Fighting ensued.
My "later friend" said they had on the uniform equipment with pads, helmets and all the blows were harmless, but none the less they raced for the exit being greatly outnumbered.
I was seated high in the corner and never made it to the field, but I tried.
It was a terrible game. Clemson lost on a fumble late in the game that Carolina ran back for a TD.
In those days the freshmen had their heads shaved and wore the orange rat hats. If Clemson lost the game, you had to shave your head again and wear the hat until Christmas or until you could part your hair.

I don't think they do anything like that now. Soft!

Nov 23, 2017, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: A little history between Clemson and South Carolina.... ]

...and oddly enough, the top two winningest coaches in Clemson history, Coach Howard and Coach Dabo, are the only two who coached more than three games in the series and had a losing record.

Nov 23, 2017, 11:49 AM

Great read! Thank you

"The War of 1902"

Nov 24, 2017, 11:07 AM

http://www.academia.edu/1578479/The_South_Carolina_Clemson_Football_War_of_1902

Replies: 12
| visibility 5,492
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic