Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wake Forest's Non-Conference Schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,332

Wake Forest's Non-Conference Schedule

Apr 16, 2019, 11:00 AM

Wow. Really? Beat Louisville and, say, Duke and you're bowl eligible. This scenario (not saying Wake will win 6 games, who knows, just an example) is exactly why no one watches Bowl Games until almost New Years Eve. They're filled with teams that got there by defeating Utah State, Rice, Elon, and 3 basketball teams. Heck, they could lose to Rice, end up with only 5 wins, and make it to the same Bowl Game pending academic requirements (which probably isn't a problem for Wake)

Aug. 30 Utah State
Sept. 7 at Rice
Sept. 12 North Carolina**
Sept. 21 Elon

**Non Conference Game officially. Divisions threatened UNC and Wake's annual matchup (they were not paired as annual cross-division rivals), so they are permitted to schedule each other as a Non Conference game. (Expect for every 6 years where the rotation means they officially play as an ACC game).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Utah State went 11-2 last year and barely lost to Michigan State***

Apr 16, 2019, 11:03 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1

Apr 16, 2019, 11:07 AM

Made a lot of money betting USU last year. They’re losing a decent amount and their coach but they are at least on par in terms of talent to Wake Forest.

But if you’re Wake it makes sense to play an easy OOC schedule. You’re not competing for the CFP you’re just trying to make a bowl.

Re: Utah State went 11-2 last year and barely lost to Michigan State***

Apr 16, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Utah State went 11-2 last year and barely lost to Michigan State*** ]

Utah State has one of the better QBs in the country returning . That's a tough out for WF and I wouldn't find it amazing if they lost to the Aggies .

The ghost of Merlin Olsen presiding over that game?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Utah State went 11-2 last year and barely lost to Michigan State***

Apr 16, 2019, 3:59 PM

Hey, hey, TD23!

Gotta love a Father Murphy reference!

Re: Wake Forest's Non-Conference Schedule

Apr 16, 2019, 11:21 AM

That's fascinating about UNC-Wake. I guess they are the only teams that can inspire either stadium to sell itself out???

Apr 16, 2019, 4:13 PM

That was a Big, Big game way back when my Dad was the starting FB/MLB for Wake in the late 20's. I believe it was tradition that prompted them to do whatever was needed to keep from losing that rivalry. By the way, Wake dominated the series in those days.

Apr 16, 2019, 4:22 PM

A few further thoughts. Dad had a scrapbook that was falling apart, but still filled with articles and photos from the Raleigh and Greensboro (where he was from) newspapers. Fascinating look at college football 90 years ago. He still had his helmet made of glove-weight leather that you could fold up and put in your back pocket. He lived to be 97, and had no signs of ill effects from head trauma. They don't make 'em like they used to.

VT's is just as bad. If the conference didn't add Notre Dame

Apr 16, 2019, 5:24 PM

for them it would be even worse. ODU, Furman and Rhode Island and their crossover is BC.

It would be an accomplishment for VT to beat ODU this season***

Apr 16, 2019, 5:40 PM

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,332
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic