Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games.

Feb 16, 2019, 1:54 PM

Whether it’s taking bad shots, missing free throws, stupid fouls, turnovers, etc. It’s the same thing every time.

Last year was a fluke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games...

Feb 16, 2019, 1:55 PM

Is on the coaching staff? Do u really think that we don’t shoot ft’s in practice?

You guys kill me

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games...

Feb 16, 2019, 1:57 PM

Lord have mercy after 10 years , it’s not evident

What about the 5th year senior getting the rebound

Feb 16, 2019, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

And throwing the ball up out of control? Or the 5th year senior Center trying to take the ball down the court and then turns it over?

Re: Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games...

Feb 24, 2023, 3:57 AM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

It's not just the missed FT. It's the in game situations. CBB puts them in bad situations. One or 2 games I understand your argument. Every gameust be coaching

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Puts them in bad situations?!?

Feb 16, 2019, 8:29 PM

We have literally lost three ACC games this year at the buzzer:

-A 30 foot shot by N.C. State to beat us.
-A falling 12 footer by Miami with a hand in the guy’s face that bounced around the rim three times before going in.
-A missed 6 foot shot by Reed against Louisville today, followed by a missed 8 footer by Newman.

At some point, players have to make plays. Sometimes the other team’s players make plays, and sometimes our players don’t.

The fact that we are even in sole
of these games against more talented teams on the road is a testament to our coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Puts them in bad situations?!?

Feb 17, 2019, 11:32 AM

Yep, the 30 footer by NC State was just like a Hail Mary pass at the end of a FB game that by a miracle it was caught. The Miami game, the last shot was a very last second shot that bounced around the rim and fell in. Then we lose to #16 Louisville by a point, I see that game as a team getting some bad breaks and still almost winning over a team on the road that we wasn't suppose to beat. One good thing, as fans we can't fire coaches!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the nc state game was way worse than just a shot at the end

Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 PM

It was going 1-6 at the stripe in the last 36 seconds that made that 30 footer possible. Shows that these guys get tight at the end. There’s no use going to the tourney if that’s how you operate. I’m not putting that on BB just weak minded leadership and no gamers.

Feb 16, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

It’s a mentality. You can see it in the players faces down the stretch there’s no confidence there and that is on the coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nine years of the same excuses...

Feb 16, 2019, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

Players change, same coach.

You are correct, however, this theme has run it's course.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

Regardless of the reason. If we don't make the tournament, then it's time for a change.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

Yes clearly the coaches are only responsible for the wins, the losses are on the players.

Smh

Hardly

Feb 16, 2019, 2:52 PM

Every game basically comes down to which players make the plays needed to win. Very, very rarely is a team just flat out coached or does brilliant coaching win a game

Thank you for being reasonable.***

Feb 16, 2019, 8:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hardly

Feb 16, 2019, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

Every game basically comes down to which players make the plays needed to win. Very, very rarely is a team just flat out coached or does brilliant coaching win a game

Feb 16, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

OK-so that means these 4 SENIOR returners can't handle the pressure.

Feb 16, 2019, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

Shoot ft or make ft? There is a difference.

Feb 18, 2019, 2:55 AM [ in reply to Wait are u suggesting that 2 5th year seniors missing ft’s in close games... ]

It's a mentality and yes that falls on the coaching staff. How many close games has the football team been in over the last 5 years and they have come out on top in a large majority of them. I think the basketball team believes that they can win these games, but they should believe they will win these games.

This is not a team***

Feb 16, 2019, 1:56 PM

Re: This is not a team***

Feb 18, 2019, 1:58 AM

Says the college BB coach of the year!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me add having your Center take the ball down the court

Feb 16, 2019, 1:56 PM

And then turning it over....

Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games.

Feb 16, 2019, 1:57 PM

You can only blame it on bad luck so many times.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:00 PM

Agree 100%. Ridiculous - and it is time for a change. Team does not know how to win a close game. Mental errors, fundamentals......lack of coaching.

Feb 19, 2019, 12:57 AM [ in reply to Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games. ]

I can say one thing about you coots, your own pain of being the losers that Y'ALL are, helps you to paint with a broad brush when it comes to talking down other programs while attempting to forget your own, if a program is what you actually call what you put on the field, or a court. Most everyone else calls it a disaster once you make up a roster!!!

No, this team lacks guts

Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 PM

You have three seniors who fold like cheap chairs down the stretch. Last year Devoe was never afraid of the moment, and made big play after big play down the stretch. This year, they can't even make foul shots to win a game. It's the seniors taking those bad shots, making the stupid turnovers, missing layups, etc. Blame recruiting if you want, but senior, supposed leaders have to be much better than this group has been.

Re: No, this team lacks guts

Feb 16, 2019, 2:05 PM

Confidence is instilled by coaching and we clearly lack both..... agree too that players not stepping up but you can see the lack of confidence in their eyes....

I guess they only coached Devoe, huh?

Feb 16, 2019, 2:08 PM

Killer instinct is from an individual, not anyone else

last years team overachieved, in spite of coaching.***

Feb 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

I think that's a stretch. Last years team played up to thier

Feb 16, 2019, 2:18 PM

capability and per how they were coached.

And time and time again this year, like all other years, they've been in position to win.

Snakebit. Analyze the minutiae. Whatever. The requirement is simple - make the tournament or make a change.

So then it's fair to say this year's team

Feb 16, 2019, 2:58 PM

hasn't played up to its capabilities based on how they were coached. That's on the players.

No. I don't think we need to force blame on anyone.***

Feb 16, 2019, 2:59 PM

But that's not real life

Feb 16, 2019, 5:10 PM

When you win there is always credit. When you lose there is always blame.

I don't think you understand.

Feb 16, 2019, 8:19 PM

I'm not saying no one is to blame. I'm saying playing the blame game serves no purpose.

Re: I guess they only coached Devoe, huh?

Feb 17, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to I guess they only coached Devoe, huh? ]

Recruit, recruit, recruit... BB didn’t miss the shot on the inbound steal. They had a chance to win and blew it on the court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to No, this team lacks guts ]

Confidence is instilled by coaching and we clearly lack both..... agree too that players not stepping up but you can see the lack of confidence in their eyes....

Feb 16, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to No, this team lacks guts ]

Exactly! I've heard analysts say Brownell is a good coach. What they don't comment on is his recruiting. The difference between this team and the WBB team is the women have senior guards that make plays at the end of games and make free throws and the men seniors don't.

gotta call male bovine

Feb 16, 2019, 8:24 PM [ in reply to No, this team lacks guts ]

feces on that

Reed made 2 3's in the last 9 seconds today... that's 'folding?'

Re: gotta call male bovine

Feb 16, 2019, 9:18 PM

And the rest of the game the guards shot something like 6 for 26.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:08 PM

It doesn't matter who's fault it is it always falls on the coach whether it should or shouldn't. If Brownell can't right the ship and get back to the tourney with 4 seniors after a Sweet 16 run he should be fired. He got a contract extension for the sole purpose of trying to show Zion he would be around then give him another after the Sweet 16 run. You never do things like that period. It's dumb governing by DRad. You don't tie your hands for a recruit no matter how good and after years of underperforming basketball you don't run to him with a new contract after one great year. Too me you have to show me a trend and right now last year was the exception to the rule and thats the sad part that not going to the tourney is the rule around here. People are arguing semantics, is he good enough to get the job done is the only question and after 10 years that answer is obvious. I want all the Brownell blinded supporters tell me how many universities would Brownell still be working at with the same track record he has at Clemson? I don't care the history of Clemson or any other place, just tell me would he still be at other universities.

But that's not happening a year after extending him

Feb 16, 2019, 2:10 PM

You just have to hope some of these young guys playing behind the seniors and the incoming freshmen have more b@lls than this group

Re: But that's not happening a year after extending him

Feb 16, 2019, 9:26 PM

Have you seen enough underclassmen to carry this team next year. It's all about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Tell me where we are excelling in recruiting.

I guess you can excel in recruiting or in coaching. Where are we excelling?

No, I think next year is a huge rebuild

Feb 17, 2019, 7:53 PM

unless some guys take gigantic steps forward. Like improve by light years. Or we have a couple of All ACC freshmen coming in

Feb 16, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games. ]

Spot on!!

Feb 16, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games. ]

The 22nd basketball coach at Clemson is No. 1 in Clemson coaching history in terms of winning percentage against ACC competition and is #1 in wins over ACC teams. He moved into sole possession of third all-time in career wins at Clemson.

Feb 16, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games. ]

Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, South Carolina would probably all like to at least have the success Brownell has had over what they have now. Throw in Miami and Notre Dame at the moment too.

I'm not going to say last year was a fluke, but it was the

Feb 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

anomaly.

Today was the norm. Close but no cigar. Snakebit or whatever.

If we don't make the tournament, then it's time for a change.

Last year's team had Devoe

Feb 16, 2019, 2:19 PM

a guy who was average st best for 3 1/2 years. But when Grantham went down, he took over. He wasn't coached any different, he found it within himself. No one this year, or in years past really, has done that. Eventually it comes down to do you have it in you to find a way to overcome. No one on this team apparently does

Re: I'm not going to say last year was a fluke, but it was the

Feb 16, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to I'm not going to say last year was a fluke, but it was the ]

I said it in the off-season and I still will today.... The acc was going to be the toughest it's ever been in 10 years. Every team in the conference can beat each other. Miami had UNC beat for crying out loud in their own gym. Miami was last place at the time. Gtech had Duke beat and lost it. Our conference is so deep but that doesn't excuse our play this year. When it's crunch time our seniors are supposed to be calm and delivering. We are getting quite the opposite. Turnovers and silly mistakes left and right. Missed freethrows and layups. That's not just coaching. It's a combo of both. After the Virginia game last year when we didn't have Grantham.... Grantham called a team meeting and the players turned the whole year around. I'm not seeing that kind of leadership this year. That kind of leadership fuels confidence to go to war. Our team doesn't have that. They are playing hard but let's be honest the new kids have not added any help offensively off the bench either to give them any breaks. Brad recruited defensive players once again and had them focus on defense which is why they look stagnant in games.

Exactly

Feb 16, 2019, 2:49 PM

With Grantham down Devoe took over. He made good things happen. No one on this team has done that. That's squarely on the players.

Reed hasn't stepped up into that role like I thought

Feb 16, 2019, 2:52 PM

No need to blame anyone.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Exactly ]

No need to jump on here searching for players and coaches to blame and call out, or gnash teeth and analyze the minutiae. What will be will be. But if we don't make the tournament then it's time for a change. Period.

The only way that happens is if Brownell

Feb 18, 2019, 11:06 AM

initiates it and moves to another job

Feb 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

I said three years ago we should let BB go. Did not happen. Then I said if we go to tourney they will give an extension. Which they did. Program has been set back for years as we missed opportunity.

We didn't miss any opportunities.***

Feb 16, 2019, 3:04 PM

Feb 17, 2019, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The team is poorly coached. That’s why we lose all close games. ]

That’s short-sighted at best. Who, ideally, do we hire three years ago? Saying that would be detracting from last years’ success so what of that? Lastly, it’s super easy to say I told you so about a negativism, especially when the nay sayer has no relative influence. Please try harder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And last year we won all the close ones.***

Feb 16, 2019, 3:41 PM

hire Amanda Butler***

Feb 16, 2019, 3:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

Whomever you are you are nuts! Brad coaches his tail off every game :he can’t make free throws and baskets for the players! He sets up great plays and they miscu or flub them... I know they are trying hard but lets face it the players usually shoot themselves in the foot... certainly aren’t hitting the basket!

Feb 16, 2019, 4:44 PM

So you are admitting these 4 returning SENIORS can't win the big games

Feb 16, 2019, 5:02 PM

the 1st order

Feb 16, 2019, 4:18 PM

CBB has to be the worse college basketball coach in the last minute with the game on the line......almost an automatic loss for us if the game comes down to the final shot......that is when good coaching is a must to win those games and CBB is clueless when it comes down to that.....you can not blame it on the players when the results are nearly always the same......which is another loss......the proof is in his record.....Go Tigers!!!!!!

Feb 17, 2019, 8:02 PM

Honest question, did you watch the last 20 seconds?????? We scored five points to cut the lead to 1, stole the inbounds with a couple of seconds under OUR goal and got blocked on the first shot attempted in the paint, then rebounded the ball only to throw up a garbage second shot to run out reg. How in God’s name was that on the coach??? Lead a horse to water...

If BB was out sick for a week and missed a game on Saturday

Feb 16, 2019, 4:57 PM

Would there be any obvious changes or difference in the outcome of the game???

I think NOT...the players do not seem to be prepared before the games and there are not any in game decisions that affect how or what they are doing. Might as well just let the guys run & play like an intramural game with open subs and freelance plays.

Re: If BB was out sick for a week and missed a game on Saturday

Feb 16, 2019, 5:03 PM

if only they were under the guidance of the great coachmac.

Not fair.

Feb 17, 2019, 8:10 PM

Winning games is tough. I mean, half of the basketball teams that played Saturday lost. Think about that.

And that was a bad break. We were only one play away from winning that one, and Miami, and NC State, and...

Plus, Coach Brownell is a good man, and good men shouldn't have to prove themselves with successful seasons. It should be enough that they are good people that care about Clemson and the job they have there and don't embarrass us off the court.

Also, we should remember that we've always pretty much stunk it up in basketball overall minus the occasional big season every decade or so, so it's wrong to expect, or even desire, that to ever change. Seriously - accept that we have no tradition and thus will never have one and will never be a successful program so stop your whining about being mediocre again. Just relax and let it flow and accept what is, 'cause that's how life works.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it's lack of talent to begin with as......

Feb 17, 2019, 8:13 PM

missing shots, etc. can't be blamed on coaching.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic