Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21

Jun 26, 2018, 8:31 AM

Washington State QB who committed suicide last fall had CTE. How long will football survive?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna131843

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll have to end road construction too ..

Jun 26, 2018, 8:36 AM

There were 642 deaths in Work Zone road construction accidents in 2015.

Too risky.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you have nothing to say, say nothing.***

Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on that's a terrible analogy.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:20 PM [ in reply to We'll have to end road construction too .. ]

Driving is necessity for most. Football is just a sport... something most do for enjoyment or for health and fitness. It's very easy to move on from football to a safer activity. Good luck giving up driving.

Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21

Jun 26, 2018, 8:38 AM

Very sad story. Football will never go away because of the money it makes but you are going to see more and more kids walking away from the game. Kids with concussion problems should also realize that football probably isn't for them

Jun 26, 2018, 8:45 AM

If a backup QB has this disease at 21, this stuff has to be pretty prevalent at the more physical positions. I think once the lawyers start seeing wrongful death opportunities, the sport will start to become difficult to support.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:58 PM

Anyone watching sub-channels (ME, Cozi,etc.) see Lawyer Trolls fishing for clients concerning every drug ever made, to Baby Powder causing Uterine cancer, to air bags that don't deploy.... Now just imagine this middle aged couple who son died from a brain trauma getting a jury to hit...say CLEMSON with a $1,000,000,000 judgement...and don't think that the counselor firm of Winkum, Cheatum and Howe are not salivating to get a class action suit against every member of the NCAA...anyone laughing this off does not have his focus on reality...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Airbags that don't deploy or deploy with a projectile...

Jun 26, 2018, 6:08 PM

Takata lost that case and rightfully so... I 'observed' the details.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Airbags that don't deploy or deploy with a projectile...

Jun 27, 2018, 6:59 AM

I received an email that said I had a car that matches the vin # associated with them. It is not my present car and would have to dig for the Passatt that in my car wreck the air bags did not deploy.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

I do think the money involved will keep the game afloat for the next couple of decades.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:07 AM

People kill themselves all the time that have never played a down also. I know there are some concussion related issues but not every who played does that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 9:11 AM

Right, the scientist will have to prove causality .

I think the burden of proof might be on the other side

Jun 26, 2018, 2:30 PM

They need to prove that football is safe. The death of football is more likely to begin with parents not allowing their children to play the sport.

Exactly. No way I'll let my son play football.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:30 PM

The only way I might consider it is if he's the kicker. Otherwise, it's not worth risking his health and his future.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Exactly. No way I'll let my son play football.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:38 PM

Same for my son. I told him he ain't playin anymore. Is it moral to even watch the game anymore?

Jun 26, 2018, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Exactly. No way I'll let my son play football. ]

maybe he could be a soccer player instead.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:42 PM

I'm steering him to track and field. He is a little hefty and has a strong leg press.

Soccer has it's own CTE concerns right now***

Jun 27, 2018, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Exactly. No way I'll let my son play football. ]

Re: Soccer has it's own CTE concerns right now***

Jun 27, 2018, 7:55 AM

that is why i mentioned it. think it went right over philo's head.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:40 AM

I do love football....almost to an unhealthy level. But I do think a big change is inevitable. Maybe not totally extermination of the sport but it will look vastly different in future decades. Soccer too (my daughter plays - that's why I mention it too). I am amazed that with all we know about brain injuries, soccer players the world over are taught to repeatedly use their heads to hit the ball. But back to "real" football :D, I think it can survive if more advances are made in helmet technology and tackling/hitting techniques revert to resemble football's earliest days. Namely, a lot of arm grabbing and shoulder hits. Maybe. But today's athletes may be too big and strong for that. Only time will tell.

Or no helmets.. seriously. See how much head banging there is without a helmet on..

Jun 26, 2018, 12:14 PM

I'd bet concussions would drop to a fraction of what they are now once the false sense of security is gone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Or no helmets.. seriously. See how much head banging there is without a helmet on..

Jun 26, 2018, 12:27 PM

There are some designs out there for a somewhat flexible, rubber based helmet that's more along the lines of what players wear in practice with the hard helmet covers. I think some of them are actually patented but Riddell doesn't own the patents.

Those could go a long way by reducing the impact of contact and disincentivizing use of the helmet as a weapon because it wouldn't have the same effect.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:13 AM

While playing football, I had one concussion, my brother had two. So far neither one of us has contemplated suicide. Could there possibly be something else related to head trauma, like steroids, HGH, or hard drugs, that would cause this? I'm not saying this is the case, I'm asking is it possible. At any rate, it's heartbreaking for the loved ones. I can't imagine the pain.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Concussions =/= CTE***

Jun 26, 2018, 10:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jun 26, 2018, 10:17 AM

Terrible thing but for every life that has been negatively impacted by football there are thousands of positives.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:20 AM

Didn’t realize his brother was committed to USC jr.

Jun 26, 2018, 1:33 PM

Yeah, his brother is Ryan Hillinski. He is the real deal. His brother was supposed to be a stud but he's supposed to be even better. Check out his arm and some of his Ryan's highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYmvIhKNpJw
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/ryan-hilinski-highlights-at-2018-qb-retreat/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/ryan-hilinski-highlights-at-elite-11/

What do you guys think of him so far?

He is headed to SCarU under Muscoot.

Jun 26, 2018, 1:40 PM

So, I expect his skills will decrease.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 26, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

Unfortunately, He will stay on west coast as Steele is doing.
For Coots sake, I hate that.

Jun 26, 2018, 1:54 PM

Actually he is not. he is 100% Gamecock lock. He flew in last weekend for camp with his family and his parents were looking at houses. They want away from the west coast and anything to remind them of his brothers suicide. They want a fresh start on the opposite coast and he is as you guys would say, ALL IN!

Jun 26, 2018, 1:55 PM

At this point I'm not worried about the comments QB under Muschamp. I want to know you guys's honest opinion of skills and his size and arm. Does he look better than Bentley? Who would you compare him to that currently plays?

Jun 26, 2018, 2:05 PM

I know that he will end up looking like Bentley...mostly on his back...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 4:01 PM

Dude Bentley was "on his back" Against Clemson, who has the BEST defense we have faced in the past two years. Those defenses were unreal. That is an OUTLIER. Against any other team we have played he was not. How about you use something else besides Bentley against Clemson. Why not Bentley in the 2nd half vs Michigan, or Bentley vs Arkansas last year. THAT was Bentley dropping dimes!

I believe I saw Bentley laying on his back when a Kentucky

Jun 27, 2018, 12:48 PM

defender walked by. Bentley flopped like a Duke basketball player trying to get a foul. What a d-bag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487HCnT9SEg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 26, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

don't blame them for moving elsewhere.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

He can throw to wide open receivers and probably very well in shorts and a tee shirt. From what you posted, would be great in the BIG 12 where they don't have defenses. Seemed his primary was always open. With Bentley being the best QB in the SEC as an 11th grader, he might be as good as Bentley.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:20 AM

Ever watch Australian rules football? The only pads those guys have are their bandages. It's a wonder some of them don't get killed. I know the size and speed of American football players is greater than the Aussies, but they take some hard licks just the same. I wonder if they have the same problems with CTE?

Jun 26, 2018, 10:50 AM

I'm curious if his brother will every suit up for the chickens or anyone else.

I'd expect before too long that tackling will be banned before high school, which is what they should probably do now.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:55 AM

It will be interesting to keep track of that is for certain. You still think that high schools will be allowed to carry the sport? Seems to me that it will all become private sport leading up to the NFL...

Jun 26, 2018, 11:03 AM

People will get the pitchforks out if the Dept of Ed. tries to take away high school football anytime soon. I'd expect eliminating tackling before high school and just having two-hand touch will come soonish, which is something a lot of former NFL guys have advocated for. I'm not sure if it's national but there are lots of places that have banned heading in soccer at younger ages for the same reasons. It's something that should happen though; there really isn't any need for middle schoolers to tackle or lift weights the way a lot of them do to build mass for tackling.

Jun 26, 2018, 11:10 AM

I agree with you that there will be a big reaction from parents and fans if high school football became touch football, but how are the schools going to support a sport that causes brain damage - the very thing that they arw suppose to be nurtering at the institution?

Jun 26, 2018, 10:46 PM

no one teaches leading with the head anymore. equipment improves every year. this argument is just laughable. maybe you should research how practices are handled these days. football will be here long after all of us is gone. life itself is kind of a tough sport. havent we raised enough generations of pansies.

Jun 26, 2018, 11:05 PM

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/22-burden-of-proof

Jeez, we get it you are old and tough

Jun 27, 2018, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

Don’t wear a seat belt next time you drive. Lead paint- it was good enough for granddad. Hard hats during construction- them boys building New York didn’t need them.

Jun 26, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

40 years ago my tiny high school played 7-man flag football, partly due to the number of players available but mostly due to the cost of equipment and insurance for tackle football.
We usually had an 8-10 game schedule with other schools in our league (one year played 15 inc. postseason). Everyone used the same type equipment, which was more advanced than the old 'hang a towel out yer back pocket'.
We liked to hit (mostly shoulders and upper arms). Some refs were ok with that, while others tried to make us play totally non-contact.
I don't remember any injuries from hitting. Occasionally a person injured a hand while diving for the ball carrier's flag. More serious injuries occurred from collisions--i was concussed once, got head stitches multiple times. One kid tore his ACL.
The game is fast, fun, fluid and fun to watch. But it will never replace the NFL. For the most part, we only enjoy watching athletes perform feats that we can't, either by physical prowess or crazy skills.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:57 AM

https://twitter.com/ClemsonEditz_/status/929479152259993600

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, that wasn't even called if I remember correctly.***

Jun 26, 2018, 1:42 PM

Tragic...

Jun 26, 2018, 1:47 PM

What a terrible end for a young man literally just starting to live and establish a life. What is the answer to this? While the lives and health of players is paramount, I don’t want football to disappear. Sad.

Re: Tragic...

Jun 26, 2018, 2:14 PM

No parent should have to bury their child. I have witnessed too much of this from close friends and family who have lost their child to either disease or fatal accident. I pray every day that I don't experience such a tragic loss.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:18 PM

Amen brother

Jun 26, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Tragic... ]

Don't often agree with a gamecock, but in this case, I do. Two families in our Church have lost young children. It's been several years since, but the parents still weep when speaking of them. I think of my own children and my grandchildren, and I can't begin to imagine the pain.

Jun 26, 2018, 6:16 PM

Some things are much bigger than a rivalry. This is something we can all stand together on.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:17 PM

Older brother of the USuC commit 2019 QB Hilinski and this is a very sad story. Now with something as terrible as this happening the game will not be effected because the game generates too much money, they will write new rules and check boxes and give people a thumbs up while their pockets get fatter. Personally I don't want the game of football to die out and I believe that everyone who plays the sport knows the risk that they are taking by going out there everyday and I believe that people who are injured normally just want to get better and go back out there and play no matter the cost because it's what they love most look at Ryan Shazier for example he can hardly walk and all he wants to do is go out there and run the risk of injury again because it's his passion. With that thought I think that the game will not die because there's too much revenue and passion for the game surrounding it.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:42 PM

I do think it will take a generation (20-30 years) of "awareness" for the issue to surface to most of the population. The only way the game starts to erode quicker will be through public policy or lawsuits.

My fear with football is that high schools will begin to

Jun 26, 2018, 2:36 PM

drop the sport. NFL and NCAA have a huge $$$$$ incentive to keep it around... high schools really don't. If the negatives begin to outweigh the positives of having the sport, will they keep it? I'm sure it will take a long time for that to happen in places like Texas, Ohio, the South, etc but the more liberal parts of the country or places where football isn't as relevant could be much quicker to take action.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:40 PM

We are blaming something we have no idea is the reason for why football players are committing suicide. Are they studying the brains of the average American that commits suicide? The transgender community had a suicide rate at one time upwards of 40% according to the Anderson School of UCLA, are they studying those brains for CTE? I mean they have yet to be able to study CTE on a live subject so going all the way as to blaming CTE as the reason is not only asinine but irresponsible. Looks to me like we are building a strawman and facts be d@mned. I'll listen to any argument but you better come with proof in hand. Don't tell me they had CTE and played football so football is bad, that doesn't cut it for me and it shouldn't for anyone else. Until they are able to study CTE in a broad scope on living patients (not just football players) this is a moot subject.

Isn't being this defensive about the issue a bigger problem?

Jun 26, 2018, 3:02 PM

I think parents deserve to know that this could potentially be a danger for their children. If it turns out that the CTE scare was overblown then great! But what if the reverse of that is true? What if it is a risk to children and the knowledge was kept secret (which is essentially what has already happened with the NFL)? I want to know the risks before i allow my son to play football even if those risks haven't been scientifically proven. I'd rather be safe than sorry.. my son will have plenty of fun playing basketball, baseball, tennis, running track, or whatever else he may choose.

and this is your right for you and your child

Jun 26, 2018, 4:08 PM

but it sounds more like you support taking away that right from me.

I would suggest more testing is needed to see if someone is more prone to CTE from or because of concussions. I played 6 years of football up through high school and have no symptoms, that I know of, from any of it (I was only concussed once that I know about). I am starting to believe some people must be more prone to brain injuries just as some people are more prone to a sprained ankle. Maybe we should identify those people early on and advise them to find another sport instead of eliminating an entire sport altogether.

Not at all

Jun 26, 2018, 5:33 PM

I'm just saying that everything should be transparent and that nothing needs to be scientifically proven as fact before being made public.

The poster that i was responding to seems to have the attitude that these are all unsubstantiated attacks on the sport of football and that it's irresponsible to release the information without more data and more testing.

I think all of the information should be made public so that i can make my own determinations from what is currently known. Nothing should be kept a secret.

My understanding is a large number of...

Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Isn't being this defensive about the issue a bigger problem? ]

specialists feel like most of the CTE damage occurs with pre-teen contact sports while the brain is still in critical development stages. I saw a study that presented like 17 brains of high school aged kids and 11 showed signs of CTE and all of those played sports at younger ages in comparison.

My thing is all the focus that has been placed on football is really for the bandwagoners and lawyers setting this up for class action suit. Where are the studies on the skateboarders, young boxers, soccer, track and field, etc, etc.

My concern is pointing at one sport (the one I love the most) without knowing a ton more about it. I was a very active kid that used to crash bicycles, fall off skateboards, jump out of trees into the lake, wrestled and played football, baseball and hockey. I just feel like this has the sense of being extremely over-corrected and ruining a game that may only be a percentage of the problem when other factors play just as big of roles. My .02 anyway!

Well my understanding is that the more common cause of CTE

Jun 26, 2018, 5:44 PM

is repeated smaller blows (generally called subconcussive blows) that have an impact over time. CTE isn't coming from a couple of concussions (aka crashing your bike or wiping out kneeboarding, skiing, wake boarding, snow boarding etc) but from colliding over and over again like what happens on the football field.

Similar questions are now being asked about soccer as well, particularly girls soccer, where CTE is also being discovered in current and former players, likely from repeatedly heading the ball.

Jun 26, 2018, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

A question that I asked earlier. Is there something else related to concussions, that causes a person to commit suicide. I asked about steroids and HGH, because Lyle Alzado and John Matuszak, two former NFL greats, both admitted to heavy steroid and HGH use. Both died with brain tumors, and both were reportedly suspect to roid rage. I know repeated concussions is not good for anyone, and like someone said earlier, if you're prone to concussions, or you've had to many in your career, you need to get out.

Jun 26, 2018, 6:04 PM

CTE may be a contributing factor to suicide but probably not the only one. Drug use, chemical imbalances, people’s relationships with others/support system, a person’s resilience, etc all play a role. The death of someone early is always a tragedy but there are a lot of people with CTE ho dont commit suicide.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: WSU's QB Suicide had CTE at 21 ]

I read this sight a lot but rarely post. This is one of the best posts I've ever read on here and I don't understand why more people don't feel the same way. There could be many causes of this disease but if they only test football players then it will seem like football is the cause.

Jun 27, 2018, 7:50 AM

The reason football is pegged and nothing else at this time is the money factor. Have you seen the millions of dollars flowing from tennis and skateboarding, etc? Me either. That is why the attacking on football. Follow the money and you will find the lawyers.

Very sad but doesn’t prove causation

Jun 26, 2018, 4:13 PM

I know and have known people with CTI that were not suicidal and unfortunately known a couple of people that committed suicide that never played a contact sport or had a known CTI.
One has to wonder if one major component in suicide in former athletes is the perceived end of their “purpose”. It can very hard for anyone to have everything their life revolves around end.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic