Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Very happy to see all the DDay posts and stories for th 75th
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Very happy to see all the DDay posts and stories for th 75th

Jun 7, 2019, 8:00 AM

Anniversary. It's important. Thanks to the mods for letting it roll. Not enough folks, these days, seem aware of just how important it was. No matter what you choose to think, your freedom and the ability to think as you wish was dependent on these heroes and their answering the call. In high school, someone asked our history teacher how the Nat zis destroyed democracy in Germany. The answer was, no one wrested it away. It was freely given away by the people...to the sound of their own thunderous applause and cheers while they carelessly, and democratically, voted it away. Freedom is never safe nor free. Someone will always try to take something from you, or bend you to live in a particular way, and someone always has to pay the price to stop them. These heroes did that for their generation. I hope that other generations have the same type of heroes. Very proud that many so Clemson sons have done their part through the years. And I hope the younger generation takes heed and stays vigilant. Freedom is so, so fragile. Anyhow, thanks, back to football, and Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very happy to see all the DDay posts and stories for th 75th

Jun 7, 2019, 8:10 AM

True. To me the Enigma machine story is an amazing one from that era. Once we got on to their codes for much of the war we knew what Germany was doing but had to be judicious with the info so as not to tip them off. I only became aware of this aspect a few years ago. Apparently when Goering found out we knew this at the end of the war he said the German high command never suspected we could read their message. Imitation Game is a good movie which shows this aspect of the war.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed. It's quite a story. If you like that sort of thing

Jun 7, 2019, 8:50 AM

check out Operation Bodyguard and Operation Fortitude, which were the deception plans to make the Germans think we would attack anywhere but Normandy. Even after the invasion, we kept up the ruse as long as possible with secret agents like Juan Garcia, aka "Garbo", convincing them that the main attack was still yet to come elsewhere. The Longest Day is the most accurate movie I've seen on D-Day specifically. It's a real classic, with stars like John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda and tons more. For Hit ler's rise to power check out "Hit ler's Bodyguard" from the BBC. I think Netflix carries it now. Riveting political stuff, and all terrifyingly true.

Jun 7, 2019, 8:53 AM

Great Post.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks

Jun 7, 2019, 9:20 AM

It concerns me that history is so glossed over in schools today, and the focus is usually on dates and not trends. The sad truth is that dictatorships and monarchies are virtually the natural order of man. History is littered with them. Autocracy is easy. It's the default as far back as Egyptian Pharaohs and Babylonian God-Kings. But the idea of sharing power, of democracy, is so rare as to almost be a historical blip. We are really bucking all of history with this idea that people can decide how they live by working with each other, rather than being told what to do. It is so, so rare. The Romans/Byzantines lasted just over 2000 years, but they were only a republic for 500 years. And the Greeks a democracy for only about 50 years. Both, the pinnacle of civilization in their times, were top down governance for most of their history. So few realize how special what we have is and how fleeting it can be, despite all of time as a warning. The Founding Fathers have handed us a golden nugget. Do we hold onto it, let it be taken away, or even worse, willingly give it away?

You are a wise man

Jun 7, 2019, 11:56 AM

I agree with this post 100%.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 7, 2019, 11:16 AM

Great post! My great grandfather was at the 75th anniversary reunion of the Battle of Gettysburg where he had fought as member of the 1st South Carolina Cavalry. This was in 1938..There were 1800 war veterans there, all in their 90's, but my grandfather was one of only 65 who had actually fought at Gettysburg. I am sure there are still many WWII veterans around, but they are going fast. My good friend's dad who fought on Iwo Jima just passed away this year. To all those who are still with us and those who have passed, we owe our undying gratitude and thanks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic