Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VT has the worst arena in the country
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

VT has the worst arena in the country

Feb 26, 2019, 9:20 PM

Just sayin

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their basketball practice facility is really nice.

Feb 26, 2019, 9:30 PM

https://vt.edu/about/locations/buildings/basketball_practice_facility.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VT has the worst arena in the country

Feb 26, 2019, 11:18 PM

Have you ever been there??

I have and he's right...

Feb 27, 2019, 8:44 AM

The arena is 57 years old and in desperate need of renovation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I have and he's right...

Feb 27, 2019, 8:48 AM

How are they winning? They must not have terrible fans like Judge Keller says we have.

We do

Feb 27, 2019, 9:14 AM

look at their attendance compared to ours.

Re: We do

Feb 27, 2019, 9:37 AM

They have a bigger stadium and a more exciting product. They are about to go their 3rd straight tournament. I would like to know how their attendance looked under their 2 miserable years with James Johnson, before Buzz Williams turned them around.

Feb 27, 2019, 9:52 AM

I looked it up. Their attendance is way up due to Buzz. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Pitt's attendance is way down. It correlates with the product.

how did they swing getting him? He could have went to an

Feb 27, 2019, 4:50 PM

actual contender.

Feb 27, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: We do ]

Carlsbad® said:

They have a bigger stadium and a more exciting product. They are about to go their 3rd straight tournament. I would like to know how their attendance looked under their 2 miserable years with James Johnson, before Buzz Williams turned them around.

And if Buzz loses his third straight NCAAT game, does that mean he is not building a successful program? No, just like OP was here...

Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: I have and he's right... ]

Carlsbad® said:

How are they winning? They must not have terrible fans like Judge Keller says we have.

Um, you probably don’t know this not being familiar with college basketball but it’s player facilities that matter. VT has a basketball only facility for the players which is state of the art.

https://vt.edu/about/locations/buildings/basketball_practice_facility.html

Cassell Colisum is a dank hole in the same vane as Cameron and represents a big home court advantage

Feb 27, 2019, 10:04 AM

I know more about all sports than you do, so pipe down.

Feb 27, 2019, 10:37 AM

Carlsbad® said:

I know more about all sports than you do, so pipe down.

If that’s the case you do an excellent job of hiding it

Facilities are about far more than the arena itself.

Feb 27, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I have and he's right... ]

It's also about the practice courts, meeting areas, film room, weight room, recruiting area, etc. In case you weren't paying attention, Brownell didn't have a full court gym to practice in until year 7 of his tenure. The team also didn't have a dedicated film room, basketball weight room, recruiting area, nutrition area, or any of the other amenities any self-respecting basketball program has.

Virginia Tech's practice facility is actually pretty nice. It was built about 8 years ago and is helpful in Buzz recruiting the players he wants.

Nice job trying to overly simplify the facility argument though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Facilities are about far more than the arena itself.

Feb 27, 2019, 4:13 PM

You know judge keller, you're right. CBB only allowed access to a half court practice facility MUST be the reason we are currently ranked 267th in offensive scoring. That's why we can't push the ball up the floor because we had no room in our facilities for Brownell to be able to teach a fast break offense as well as how to deal with a full court press in crunch time. It certainly has nothing to do with his coaching philosophy that is so slow and boring that no ones wants to play for. when are you ever going to hold this guy accountable for anything!?!

You seem to know a lot about VT facility upgrades for someone not tied to the program. Sounds like you've been up there a lot the past 8 years...CBB are you judge keller?

A ton of times. It's a ########***

Feb 27, 2019, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: VT has the worst arena in the country ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2019, 11:22 PM

that white wall at the ends reminds me of old LJ. Its not a good look

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2019, 2:18 AM

I agree...looks like 80s/90s era LJ and a little like their football stadium too. Fug.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2019, 9:03 AM

My favorite part are the massive ceiling fans they use to cool the place down.. it's just one massive barn.

Feb 27, 2019, 9:15 AM

Well, when even the locals call it "bleaksburg"... they really don't have do much. Even the daylight in that town is depressing. Still Cassell is interesting. One, it holds 25% more than us and the other interesting fact is that it feels like the crowd is on top of the court... vs us us seeming like the crowd is closer to fike.

Cassell:

LJ

Here is a "glamour" shot of campus/drill field from VT's magazine

Now, Bowman:

VT's Newman

Cooper

But the arena isn't the issue... here is our attendance leading up to Georgia

VT vs GT

Feb 27, 2019, 1:14 PM

Ah! You know the rules. When was that photo taken before UGa game? 45 mins? That was the first game in renovated facility and was sold out..

Feb 27, 2019, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: VT has the worst arena in the country ]

Never understood the hate on these old basketball arenas. I about gurantee you, if they built a new one that provided no where near the home court advantage as the one they have now, people would complain about missing the old areana.

Look, everything in this world doesn't have to be the newest and best. Our basketball program is barely below average right now and is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Brad may be a good x and o's guy, but he has the excitement level of Mark Richt on valium

Feb 27, 2019, 2:01 PM

What metric are you using to say we are barely below average?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic