Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unbelievable...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Unbelievable...

Oct 30, 2018, 3:10 PM

There are insane, illogical, poorly thought out, program destroying decisions, and then there's this.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2018/10/30/18040254/dj-durkin-maryland-football

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unbelievable...

Oct 30, 2018, 3:18 PM

I don't see this turning out well for their program. Responsible or not it's a bad look for them as the media has already destroyed him.

Oct 30, 2018, 3:21 PM

At best, I think it's safe to say that ethics and morals did not play a part in this decision. But then again, it's Maryland, so it fits.

Oct 30, 2018, 3:22 PM

Likely could not afford to fire him... morally for financially.

Maryland, the Benedict Turtles and Athletic Debtors Prison, is still likely paying Edsall and Ralph contract so adding a third non-coaching coach to the books would eat up their B10 gymnastics money.

B10 East... Pedos, Molesters, Choking Wife Beaters, Negligent Debtors, Khakis, Chair-throwing strangler and of course Rutgers

Oct 30, 2018, 3:26 PM

Words can't come close to expressing just how glad I am that they left the ACC.

Oct 30, 2018, 3:39 PM

I always had a softspot for the twerps pre-2013. Maryland and WF were the rumored schools that stuck-up for us when Swofford lead the anti-Clemson campaign in the 80s.

Then the Twerps up and left over money. Said they could not compete with two NFL markets after firing a popular and winning alumni coach. They kept hamstringing themselves spending money they didn't have to alienate their own fanbase. You lose, hire unpopular coaches, lose even more and complain it was 'the conference". They tossed away a decent spot, history, and ability to compete to be a TV market for Michigan/PennSt

And idea/action taken by South Carolina is always the WRONG decision!

I kinda want another Maryland school back... can we get Navy?

Any parent who allows their son

Oct 30, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Unbelievable... ]

To accept an offer there needs to return their 'parent' card. I can't imagine recruiting can possibly go well.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost crazy enough to make you think

Oct 30, 2018, 3:39 PM

Debbie Yow was still their AD. Luckily she moved over to NC State to spread the wealth there with them.

Oct 30, 2018, 3:45 PM

And the Maryland AD is Damon Evans, the dude who while AD at Georgia, was caught driving a car drunk, with a 28-year old woman's panties between his leg. She was the passenger, and she was not his wife.

That got him fired at Georgia, so Maryland said "would you like to work here?"

would love to hear his new recruiting pitch "i'll either

Oct 30, 2018, 4:23 PM

make you strong or kill you....literally"

Oct 30, 2018, 4:41 PM

So the board of regents says Dirken “wasn’t responsible for all the problems in the AD” (yet they kept the AD who is) and that “the players failed to speak up” (yet several have said Dirken did not respond well when people did talk to him) so they kept him. Hopefully the backlash will be immediate and large.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, Evans just came aboard full time around

Oct 30, 2018, 4:55 PM

The time of the player's death. He was acting as interim AD up until then. Regardless, to suggest Durkin isn't culpable...then what part of the football program is his responsibility?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO - it is all about trying to limit Maryland's liability

Oct 30, 2018, 4:47 PM

for killing that poor kid (Jordan McNair) during summer practice. From the ESPN report on this topic:

"The board of regents insisted that DJ return, and this has been their highest priority," a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN. "Some regents appeared to be obsessed with it. The problem is they don't have the authority to hire and fire DJ, but they made it clear that is their main priority here. Because they can't hire and fire anybody, which they finally realized, they told Wallace Loh that they wanted him to bring DJ back and the clear message was that if Loh was not willing to bring DJ back right away, they would fire [Loh] immediately and then see who the acting president was and get that person to [retain Durkin]."

The Maryland regents are attempting to use this cockeyed report to undo Loh's earlier comments to McNair's parents a couple of month's ago:

"Loh said the training staff “basically misdiagnosed the situation.” He said the university takes “legal and moral responsibility for mistakes the training staff made” on the day McNair was hospitalized.

This is no longer about that dewsh Durkin - it is about doing everything they can to limit the University's liability by making it seem that it was a "one off" incident from some underlings and not the result of a bad program culture. If the regents had allowed Durkin to be fired, they would be admitting the problem was far up the chain and the University's exposure would be even greater for allowing it to continue. So according to the Maryland regents - move along - no serious problems here as it was some unsupervised lower level underlings that killed this kid...

I personally hope the McNair family sues the britches off the University of Maryland and end up owning the whole darned rotten athletic department.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO - it is all about trying to limit Maryland's liability

Oct 30, 2018, 4:54 PM

The PR nightmare they think they're avoiding (which let's be honest, they're not) by keeping him would be a Sunday stroll compared to what it will ultimately be if that culture is allowed to continue, and ESPECIALLY if something like this were to happen again.

Probably

Oct 30, 2018, 5:08 PM [ in reply to IMO - it is all about trying to limit Maryland's liability ]

But McNair’s family attorney is having a press conf today (maybe tomorrow). They were pretty outspoken about wanting Dirken gone and in support of Loh. I suspect they won’t be very complementary of the BOR decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO - it is all about trying to limit Maryland's liability

Oct 31, 2018, 12:10 AM [ in reply to IMO - it is all about trying to limit Maryland's liability ]

I think just the opposite will happen. The board has just climbed into bed with Durkins,and their liability will rest with what a jury of peers says it is. The university has the deep pockets, and will be liability for most of the judgement that's sure to come. By allowing Durkins to be fired the board may have able to distance themselves from some of the responsibility.

Oct 30, 2018, 5:46 PM

The DC local news is reporting that apparently some of the players walked out of the meeting with Dirken today. This likely isn’t going to end well.

I doubt he'll be effective in coaching the remaining players

Oct 31, 2018, 12:18 AM

B1G. It just means morer

Oct 30, 2018, 5:55 PM

If you've ever been to Maryland you understand

Oct 30, 2018, 6:30 PM

it's not surprising.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

With the new redshirt rules

Oct 30, 2018, 7:36 PM

This will be interesting. We will find out who REALLY doesn’t want to play for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

The Big10: Disgrace & Depravity...

Oct 30, 2018, 11:07 PM

Know no Bounds

The Big10: Disgrace & Depravity...

Oct 30, 2018, 11:07 PM

Know no Bounds

Re: The Big10: Disgrace & Depravity...

Oct 31, 2018, 12:04 AM

The young man's father said it was like a punch in the stomach and a slap in the face.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic