Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UHOH, we may have a problem with ole First Class HALT.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 442

UHOH, we may have a problem with ole First Class HALT.

Jun 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

I had some sort or rub going on. My initial thought was it was a lose brake caliper as the sound was worst at low speeds and went way when breaking.

They just emailed the invoice with a bunch of stuff on it including an attempt to charge me $60 to replace windshield wipers that were 1. Replaced back in April and B. not mentioned by me, ever. Now maybe this is just some suggested work mess and we are fine. If not, I may go to prison over $60.00

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

following***

Jun 12, 2019, 3:10 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always tell the dealer or whoever does the "recommended"

Jun 12, 2019, 3:11 PM

service to:

1 - Check and document the brake pads - Insist on this because if they don't they'll say they're fine until you hear grinding and then they'll charge you hundreds for grinding the rotors.

2 - Do NOT replace windshield wipers

3 - Do NOT replace engine air filter

4 - Do NOT replace cabin air filter

2-4 Knocks $200+ right off the top of your service bill and #1 can save you hundreds when you go back in 5,000 miles with zero brake pad left and they have to grind the rotors. Order #2-4 online and do it yourself in seconds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will never allow somebody else to do any filters or wipers

Jun 12, 2019, 3:14 PM

You may be on to something with the brakes. About a month ago, I had to get tires and new brakes. I figured I need all 4 brakes done but NTB said nah, the fronts are good. They may well have been doing just what you said.

I've a policy of not taking a car to the same place if a seemingly separate issue pops up soon after service.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get something from everyone who inspects your brakes

Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 PM

in writing. It's saved my rear before. For every 100 people they say the brakes are ok and they're not, there's maybe 1-2 people like me who demand something in writing. If they won't give you something in writing, go elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?

Jun 12, 2019, 3:33 PM

As soon as you leave the brakes are your responsibility.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they say your brakes are at 50% or more and in a week

Jun 12, 2019, 3:49 PM

of normal driving you hear grinding. Then take the car back and they tell you they need to grind the rotors, show them where they said you had 50% left on your pads. They will comp it. This is exactly what happened to me once.

I went one place and they told me verbally my brakes were fine. I demanded something in writing. They refused, said I'd have to pay to take the tires off again. I left. One place even changed their story on me, I left anyway.

Most reputable dealerships/repair shops will give you something in writing and an accurate reading. 25% or less and I change them. Just so much cheaper than grinding rotors. Place I go lets me actually look at them when they remove the tires if I wait.

rotors are so cheap that I wouldn't waste time cutting them

Jun 12, 2019, 3:55 PM

Some, even within specs, are made NOT to be cut.

And I wouldn't bet on that "comp" thing ever happening again.

Re: UHOH, we may have a problem with ole First Class HALT.

Jun 12, 2019, 3:11 PM

that WAS 1st class***

Jun 12, 2019, 3:16 PM

Oddly, I had the exact opposite problem last year

Jun 12, 2019, 3:22 PM

I took my 10 year old 4Runner in because it sounded what i thought was an exhaust manifold leak on both cylinder banks. Its a well known problem with Toyota V8's of that era. It still does have what I think is a leak, and I think its gotten worse, maybe.

But anyway, last year I spoke to the Toyota dealer in Anderson (because its worth it to ride 4 hours and rent a hotel to NOT deal with the Toyota dealers in CHS), and they were able to get Toyota to pay for the parts if i paid for the labor. That's like $2500 in parts on a 10 year old car with 95K miles on it. I was surprised.

Anyway, I took it up there, let them look at it, and they said it was normal. As I said, I didn't, and still don't think it's normal, but they said it was, so wife of is still driving it. Maybe they were just putting me off, but they weren't paying for the parts and I would have gladly paid the labor. There was no reason why they wouldn't want that deal.

Never heard anyone have a problem with them, but take it on

Jun 12, 2019, 4:05 PM

over to Larry at Eastside Automotive, he's not far from you. Good guy, he won't try to B.S. you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate installing windshield wipers

Jun 12, 2019, 4:13 PM

I mean I still do it, but I hate it. Windshield Wipers are smarter than Willmo® sometimes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Update. That was just an invoice to try and trick folks.

Jun 12, 2019, 4:16 PM

No extra work got done so that calmed me down. We got to talking about what did happen and the guy didn't mention what was making the sound. At that point it seemed like maybe they didn't really address the issue. They grab one of the techs and we go for a little ride. The rubbing/grinding sound didn't happen. It seems for now that just doing the brake inspection did the trick. This would add up since my suspicion was that somebody didn't put stuff back on correctly the last time. We shall see if the sound comes back.

At the end of the day, I got out for less than I thought I would so a win.

Unsubscribe***

Jun 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 14
| visibility 442
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic