Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tuition still increasing faster than inflation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Tuition still increasing faster than inflation

Jul 23, 2018, 10:04 AM

I love the propaganda coming out in regards to tuition increases. It’s to “stay competitive” and it’s “less than inflation”....this year.

1999 was my freshman year. I paid just over $7000 for the year in tuition. The recent increases brings an instate student around $15,000/year in tuition alone. A) This a much bigger increase than “keeping up with inflation” and B) does not serve the state of South Carolina. (For the record, keeping with inflation would have yearly tuition at $10,500/year with 1999 as the base year.)

This is ridiculous. Clemson is now more expensive than schools like Ohio State, UGa, and UNC. And for all you “it’s a demand issue” folks- Clemson is a public university owned by every tax payer in South Carolina. Clemson is not a club or private party for the privileged elite. It’s only purpose is to serve the people of South Carolina, not gouge students for every possible cent.

But I get it. If you can vote yourself money why wouldn’t you. It just sucks for the poorer kids in South Carolina who are trying to change their place in life.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tuition still increasing faster than inflation

Jul 23, 2018, 10:09 AM

Something tells me that, if the general assembly funded the university at a level that took into account inflation, the tuition would not have increased nearly as much. I am reminded of when Jim Barker took the state to task basically calling them a minority shareholder at this point.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep posting the truth, maybe people will hear it.

Jul 23, 2018, 3:44 PM

Reminds me of a story I heard LSU president F King Alexander tell once about the lack of state support. To the illustrate the point, he said he was going to get a new football helmet made with the S in LSU proportional to the amount of money the state provides to their "state school".

People talk about inflation but they don't seem to realize that the states are funding higher education around the same amount that they were in the early SEVENTIES!!! The reason tuition has gone up astronomically in the US isn't inflation, it's state legislatures providing less and less funding to cut taxes.

Even things the palmetto and hope scholarships are just a way for the politicians to pull the wool over your eyes. It's not like that money came from nowhere. It came from existing higher education budget I nthe state. It was a way for your representatives to score points by saying, "hey look what I'm doing specifically for you and your kid" by giving "you" money for college. People don't stop to think that just giving the money directly to the school is a much more efficient use of it. It's things like that that are driving up the cost of college.

Unfortunately, higher education finance is an area where people have a lot of opinions but not a lot of knowledge.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 10:10 AM

Do you realize how state funding has dwindled to practically nothing? In some regards the school is trending towards being a private institution and somebody has to foot the bill.

Sorry you're so upset but this isn't 1999 anymore and safe to say probably 99% of schools see an increase in tuition from year to year.

Jul 23, 2018, 10:11 AM

Clemson is a state supported school that is not as well supported as state supported schools in other states. I went to Clemson, but my daughter graduated from a state supported school in NC where the tuition is $3,000.00 per semester lower than Clemson and USUCK. The difference is in the amout of money the state funds higher education. I don't think it's Clemson's fault.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you would think with the education lottery subsidy, tuition

Jul 23, 2018, 10:26 AM

would't go up. I guess it's because of the big money they're paying faculty and staff, NOT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

There is a formula established by the state legislature

Jul 23, 2018, 10:37 AM

based on the inflation rate for tuition increases. That formula is followed.

What hurts are the add-on user fees.

TUITION AT CLEMSON

Land, the Clemson spokesman, said that studies about tuition can be deceptive. Actual tuition costs at Clemson are reduced by scholarships and other financial aid, he said.

"In the case of Clemson, the average in-state resident student paid only about $5,200 in tuition and fees in 2016-2017 – or just 36 percent of the posted rate," Land said. "This is because of the strong scholarship programs made possible through the SC Education Lottery and from Clemson that result in almost every resident student getting some sort of scholarship."

Clemson, moreover, has cut costs on a per-student basis, Land said.

"Clemson is very much aware of the financial challenges facing some of our families, which is why we place a premium on controlling our costs," Land said. "In fact, since 2008 Clemson’s operating cost per student has fallen 15 percent when adjusted for inflation, and remains well below many of our regional peers and is 40 percent lower than the average of the rest of the top 25 public universities in the country."

Amid widespread concerns over high tuition, meanwhile, Clemson University trustees on Friday announced whopping tuition increases of 11-19 percent for graduate students beginning in 2019 — in addition to more modest increases this fall.

A Clemson press release said graduate student tuition is being raised in line with tuition costs for graduate programs at other South Carolina universities.

"Clemson’s rates are currently approximately 33 percent lower than similar programs in South Carolina," the press release said. "The adjusted new pricing structure will be phased in over two years and does not apply to any students currently enrolled in these select programs."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Until people say enough is enough, forcing demand to go down

Jul 23, 2018, 10:43 AM

It will keep going up.

I know it's hard to tell your kid they can't go to college, but its harder to repay 150K of student loans when you're 22.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 6:15 PM

I'm no economist but it seems like institutions of higher learning have figured this profiteering gig out .

Bigly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

They make it insanely easy to borrow money

Jul 23, 2018, 6:24 PM

Need more? No problem we have a loan for you! Look at this graph - Rocket Scientist make more than hamburger flippers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Tuition still increasing faster than inflation ]

Can someone explain what the universities endowments are used for? It says Clemson has about a 620 million dollar endowment. Some schools have billions.

Are these just from donations and never used?

You would think these endowments could generate a strong return and help offset costs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 6:53 PM

Endowments are investments of which 5% or so is used in a given year for expenditures. If the $620 million number is accurate that would give about $31 million to spend in a given year which is a drop in the bucket to what they take in tuition. At 24,000 enrollment, assuming 65% in state and 35% out of state, and not factoring scholarships or financial aid only full cost of tuition, Clemson could bring in $530 million a year in tuition.

Jul 23, 2018, 7:06 PM

Here is a link to last year's financial report.

http://media.clemson.edu/cfo/controller/CAFR2017.pdf

Last year they took in $364 million in tuition and had a total revenue of of $970 million. So tuition only made up a little over 1/3 of the revenue. Unfortunately they had $945 million in expenses, $556 million went to salaries and benefits.

According to Wikipedia clemson has about 5,000 academic and administrative staff, so that averages to about $111,000 per person for salary and benefits. I'm not sure if the coaching salaries are included in any of these numbers or not, but six and seven figure salaries seem to be adding up.

Not a demand issue UNC acceptance rate is

Jul 23, 2018, 6:20 PM

30.5 % and tuition is $8591
NCSU acceptance rate is 50.4 which is about the same as Clemson, but tuition is $8581

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They mean the inflation of the President's salary.***

Jul 23, 2018, 6:37 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic