Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trashing the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Trashing the ACC

Sep 17, 2019, 6:32 AM

It's not a surprise that many people are trashing the ACC, especially this past weekend.

I would just like those same people why they weren't trashing the sec when the Citadel throat-punched the chickens or when the Citadel was tied 10-10 at halftime with alabama, which many of them considered to be the "greatest team ever".

I'm okay with their criticism for last Saturday's results, but I'm not okay with the bias treatment.

I guess it's too much to ask for them to take the bias out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trashing the ACC

Sep 17, 2019, 7:01 AM

It's not a surprise that many people are trashing the ACC, especially this past weekend.

I would just like those same people why they weren't trashing the sec when the Citadel throat-punched the chickens or when the Citadel was tied 10-10 at halftime with alabama, which many of them considered to be the "greatest team ever".

I'm okay with their criticism for last Saturday's results, but I'm not okay with the bias treatment.

I guess it's too much to ask for them to take the bias out.

BC lose to Kansa at home who only scored 7 on Coastal a low level FBS school

VT almost loss to Furman ( only winning by 7 at home)

Syracuse loss by 40 to a Maryland team that lost to Temple a non power 5 conf team the following week

FSU having to go into OT to beat LA-Monroe

NC St losing big to a WV team who got killed by a Mizzu team the week before wo lost to Wyoming the week before that

The SEC just doesn’t have that many bad loses or close loses like that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really?

Sep 17, 2019, 7:11 AM

You actually use Missouri's loss to Wyoming in your example of why an ACC team stinks? Why didn't you mention Tennessee's loss to GEORGIA STATE? I think Georgia State's been playing football for about 9 weeks or something.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure the SEC has some bad teams. The difference is that

Sep 17, 2019, 8:20 AM

they also have numerous good teams. The ACC power rankings are like 1) Clemson, 2) UVA, 3) Wake??

The SEC has Alabama, LSU (went on the road and won at Texas), Georgia (nearly a 2 TD favorite over top 10 ND this weekend), and even Auburn (beat a pretty good Oregon team week 1). A&M is hopefully pretty good because that might be our best win by years end. Florida hasn't looked great but they still beat what was supposed to be one of the better ACC teams.

How many SEC teams are better than the 2nd or 3rd best ACC team? Would you pick UVA to beat A&M right now? A&M would be favored. Would UVA even be favored over Florida? They nearly lost to a bad FSU team at home last weekend.

Re: Sure the SEC has some bad teams. The difference is that

Sep 17, 2019, 9:14 AM

Florida barely survived against a very sloppy looking Miami and had to score 19 in the 4th quarter to beat Kentucky. I think they are over-rated personally.

Yes i would agree they are currently overrated sitting in

Sep 17, 2019, 10:40 AM

top 10, but they are probably a top 25 team. Would you feel confident picking anybody in the ACC (aside from Clemson, of course) against them on a neutral field? I think they would be favored over UVA though i do think UVA would have a pretty good shot at winning that game. I think Florida would probably beat everyone else in the ACC though.

Sep 17, 2019, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

South Carolina lost to ACC UNC after leading the game.

Missouri lost to Wyoming

Tennessee lost to GA State.

Vanderbilt lost by 18 to non-ranked Purdue.

Ol Miss lost to AAC Memphis

Arkansas had a struggle win vs FCS Portland State

Oh look, that wasn't hard to do.

Sep 17, 2019, 9:00 AM

MSU loses to Kansas st

Sep 17, 2019, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

AND sec has worst out of Conference winning percentage of any power 5 conference

Sep 17, 2019, 9:14 AM

Link, or source for this? I just find this hard to believe as does the ACC have any OOC wins this year over P5 teams other than Clemson over A&M and UNC over South Carolina?

Sep 17, 2019, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

I haven't seen anyone claiming the SEC doesn't have any bad teams. Are they supposed to talk of the SEC being weak just because of those losses, and ignore having good teams like Bama, Georgia, A&M, LSU, Auburn, and Florida? I think Florida is overrated as a top 10 team btw, but they're still a legit top 25 team IMO.

Sep 17, 2019, 9:17 AM

Florida? You mean the Florida that as I mention above barely beat a very sloppy looking Miami that looked like they left their entire O-Line at home, and had to come from behind and score 19 to barely beat Kentucky? That Florida? That's not a good team right now, IMO...that's just a team that hasn't played anyone with a pulse...yet. Wait until they get to Auburn, then we'll see if Florida is a good team.

Sep 17, 2019, 9:23 AM

As I said, I think they're overrated as a top 10 team, but I do think they're one of the best 25 teams in the country. Miami was the preseason pick to win the Coastal btw, so that doesn't do much to support the ACC being any better. I don't think Miami will win it, but that's who the ACC media picked to do so.

Sep 17, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

And just to clarify, his actual last comment was "The SEC just doesn’t have that many bad loses or close loses like that".

Actually, they do, and I listed them. Just no one is talking about those like they are BC, Syracuse, etc. I get your point that there isn't much top heavy look in the ACC, but the SEC has their fair share of bad looking losses/wins too. To say "the SEC just doesn't have that many" is just incorrect.

Why do people even care?

Sep 17, 2019, 7:04 AM

Look, the SEC started this whole mess because they were advertising a lot in order to generate interest and get a max media deal. I get that. But, to me, I hope we are always better than our competitors in the ACC. I despise FSU and Louisville. GT, Duke, UNC, NC State, Syracuse... nothing but hate. I'm kinda indifferent to the rest, unless we're playing them and then it's full bore hate.

We compete against these jackwagons for the conference title. I want that.

I don't feel bad when FSU gets motorboated by some Sunbelt team... I get amused and satisfied. Do you think FSU feels bad for us when we slip up and lose to Pitt or Syracuse? Ha! They were giggling like school girls.

Perhaps we see a lot of this conference pride stuff because our instate rivals have nothing else to point to as an indication of their existence. They don't matter. And, incredibly, they've never mattered. Those losers are putting up 'Roll Tide' Christmas lights while they're home for the holidays. The point is... conference affiliation doesn't matter at all. Did Conference affiliation matter when Clemson beat Notre Dame by 27 and Alabama by 28 last year? As for as I can tell, it only mattered to people that think the SEC is something you can actually pull for... because they were all tired due to their brutal SEC schedule. LOL. Just LOL.

As an aside, saw a funny pic yesterday of Will Muschamp. The caption read "My name is Will. That's 1 W and 2 Ls." Bwahahahaha!

motorboated !?!?!?!

Sep 17, 2019, 7:25 AM

As long as strength of schedule is a criteria that is considered for the CFP, it matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Guess we pick the wrong SEC teams to beat

Sep 17, 2019, 7:38 AM

We've won 15 out of the last 16 games we played against ranked teams. We're 9-1 against SEC teams during that span. SOS is a metric that means jack squat to me. And it feeds into a narrative that a team is better than it really is because of their conference affiliation. Good teams win games. Period.

My point is, strength of schedule is one criteria...

Sep 17, 2019, 7:45 AM

that is considered by the college football playoff committee and while I agree that strength of schedule is somewhat subjective, as long as it is a criteria considered by the committee, subjective or not, it matters. Clemson absolutely stands to benefit when the other teams in the conference are doing well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do people even care?

Sep 17, 2019, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Why do people even care? ]

I remember when we beat FSU and Jimbo told Dabo, now go win it all. He did. That is how we should feel but I understand many don’t.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Why do people even care? ]

I could care less about the ACC just hate hearing all that bull crap about how great the SEC is when besides bama everybody else stinks. UF could barely beat a Miami that had a freshmen qb and a terrible o-line

Sep 17, 2019, 9:18 AM

What makes you think that Georgia, LSU(beat Texas on the road) Auburn(beat Oregon on a neutral field) and A&M stinks?

Sep 17, 2019, 7:05 AM

Because the SEC isn usually pretty stacked. The ACC has been weak for a while. They are stacked again this year. The criticism is fair, but who cares either way.

Sep 17, 2019, 7:21 AM

The top of the ACC is usually 2 programs. The fall of FSU, Miami, and VT has hurt the reputation of this league. The SEC typically has at least 4 teams that are national contenders, they have been a little thinner at the top recently as well, but the other leagues all being weaker than historical norms has diverted attention. The middle and bottom of both leagues (ACC & SEC) aren’t really much different despite what the dickriders of the SEC boast.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 7:28 AM

Exactly. That said, the top of the SEC is getting really stacked again. The recruiring to the SEC is over the top right now. Anyway, I am glad we are in the ACC. We have all year to grow and get our team together.

Yep the difference is at the top right now. You could switch

Sep 17, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

Clemson with at least 5 SEC teams and that SEC team would be favorites to win the ACC.

Re: Yep the difference is at the top right now. You could switch

Sep 17, 2019, 8:39 AM

I agree. If Clemson weren't in the ACC, I think there are 6 or 7 teams in the SEC who could win the ACC Championship.

Sep 17, 2019, 7:17 AM

IMO the whole conference thing is unique to CFB because of CFB’s lack of non conference matchups and ridiculous postseason.

If there was a legitimate playoff system like in every other sport you wouldn’t hear it because it wouldn’t really matter. But because strength of schedule is such a huge part of determining who gets to play for the title it’s discussed ad nauseam.

Sep 17, 2019, 7:26 AM

Sorry but there’s no hiding it. The ACC is hot garbage right now. We are carrying the flag. I’m fine with it because we know we are good enough to play the big boys. The proof is in the pudding. I don’t care that we beat our comp like a drum. My only concern is when the committee votes will just one loss keep us out of the Playoffs? Will other one loss teams be ahead of us due to strength of schedule? We’ll see. One day I feel we will face this dilemma

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We would be in a big trouble with a loss

Sep 17, 2019, 8:24 AM

We would no longer "control our own destiny" at that point and would likely need other teams to lose twice.

Re: We would be in a big trouble with a loss

Sep 17, 2019, 8:37 AM

Sad but true

Sep 17, 2019, 7:53 AM

I know it won't happen, but maybe we should lobby for a transfer with South Carolina.
We go into the SEC East,they go into the ACC Atlantic, then at the end of the year when we are worn down from all that brutal play, and the Coots are winning the ACC on a regular basis, the SEC won't need to show any bias against the ACC because Bama would still have played no one,and they can beat Georgia in the SEC Championship for the umpteenth time. That leaves only Notre Dame (because of "Touchdown Jesus"), and Ohio State and Oklahoma in the run for the CFP's.
The coots would be left out because of their weak conference, thus giving us really only 3 Power House Conferences(The SEC, The Big 10, and the Big 12).
A much fairer playing field, don't you think?
Eventually, the ACC and the PAC 10 will dissolve, and the SEC would once more be lobbied to take the coots, Florida State, and Georgia Tech thus confusing the issue even more."THE CITADEL" would be added as the 4th team.
So every year you would have Bama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Oklahoma playing for the National Championship. Imagine the ratings on eSECpn for those 4 games.
Now I know what you are thinking, that I am delusional.
Well, I am but I was bored.
So don't bother reading this.
Nobody ever bothers reading my post anyway.

LOL...Coots are winning the ACC on a regular basis

Sep 17, 2019, 8:03 AM

This is clearly "fantasy" football.

..which is fascinating, since they only ever won it once

Sep 17, 2019, 8:25 AM

in real football. My New York Jets won the Super Bowl at the start of that same year. Both teams have the same shot at winning a Championship now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ..which is fascinating, since they only ever won it once

Sep 17, 2019, 1:18 PM

Oh come on......you know the Jets are in the thick of it! After all they just barely lost to the Browns. They just warming up... Jets Jets Jets

Re: LOL...Coots are winning the ACC on a regular basis

Sep 17, 2019, 8:29 AM [ in reply to LOL...Coots are winning the ACC on a regular basis ]

I told you I was delusional.
But I don't play "Fantsy" Football.
And thanks for reading my post. It made my morning.

Re: LOL...Coots are winning the ACC on a regular basis

Sep 17, 2019, 9:26 AM

Most definitely knew that when you said it, seeing the Gamecocks are 191-234-22 against the ACC, were once in it, and have only won the conference 1 time in their entire history in it.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

Sep 17, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

If we go into the SEC East, why would Bama get to roll over Georgia in the SEC championship game? Did we lose and not make it as the SEC East champ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1969 only time University of SuCk won it

Sep 17, 2019, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Trashing the ACC ]

Lmao, they'd never win the ACC these days. There are too impotent to follow through. Keep dreaming coot.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's ingrained at this point. That's why they call it

Sep 17, 2019, 8:22 AM

a bias, I guess. It doesn't have to make sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it really bias when it's patently true?

Sep 17, 2019, 8:28 AM

The ACC really is really bad this year (and last year). When FSU, Miami, and VT all suck the league is going to struggle. You can't rely on programs like Cuse, Virginia, and Wake Forest to shoulder the load (behind Clemson of course).

Sep 17, 2019, 8:26 AM

Here's the current numbers on all conferences compared plus some "interesting" playoff picks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-yard-dash-how-conferences-have-stacked-up-so-far-4-picks-for-the-playoff-040443607.html

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 8:30 AM

Yeah, it is all meaningless at this point. No one can sort through that. A lot of looking over to the next opponent, there and teams are still making huge strides to become the 2019 version. We all know it isn't until the back quarter of the season before this thing shows itself. Talk to me on Thanksgiving weekend.

You act like this is a bad thing...

Sep 17, 2019, 8:40 AM

Credit Clemson for trashing the rest of the ACC. Good times.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:59 AM

It's not really hard to understand. Nobody is trashing the ACC simply because we have some bad teams with bad losses. They are trashing the ACC because there's really no good teams behind Clemson right now, and the ACC really doesn't have a key OOC win by a team other than Clemson this year, and did we really last year?

The SEC has bad losses as well, but for the most part those losses are by teams that weren't expected to be good in the first place. They make up for it by having wins OOC against teams like Texas, Oregon, Miami, etc... and their good teams for the most part blow out their cupcake opponents.

You mention Bama being tied with the Citadel last year at halftime. You failed to mention that they went on to win that game 50-17. The South Carolina team that lost to the Citadel went 3-9 that year, nobody was claiming that they were any good.

People wouldn't care about GT losing to the Citadel if we had at least 3-4 legit top 25 teams who were picking up wins over good P5 teams OOC.

People on this very board last week were talking of BC and NC State possibly being top 25 teams at some point this season, and both lost to bad teams OOC this past week. Wake is probably our 3rd best team at the moment, and they had a 38-35 win over Utah State to open the season.

Sep 17, 2019, 9:26 AM

When you've been duped by ESPN to get excited about a conference......... you may need to rethink things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 9:37 AM

I think the middle and bottom of each of the P5 conferences are pretty similar. The SEC is able to stand out right now because they have 3-5 really good teams. Sure, maybe Auburn ends up not being a top 10 team, or maybe LSU ends up not being a top 5 team, so maybe you could argue they're not quite as good as their current rankings. However, it's hard to argue that those aren't good teams. So that makes the whole conference stand out, and creates key matchups throughout the year for them.

The ACC is currently having the opposite problem after Clemson. The middle and bottom teams of the ACC are probably just as good as those in the SEC just as the UNC win over South Carolina showed. The problem though is the middle of the ACC starts with our #2 or #3 team depending on how good you think UVA actually is. Because of that you're not going to see a bunch of hype over many ACC games this year, and it's hard to blame that on bias. Regardless of what the media would tell you, how excited could you get about any ACC game this year that doesn't involve Clemson?

If FSU were still a top 10 team right now to go along with UVA being a top 25 team, and if just 1-2 other teams were even just in the 20-25 range the perception of the conference would be much different. Sure, maybe you'd have people still saying the SEC was better overall, but you wouldn't have many people, if any at all saying it's weak.

Sep 17, 2019, 10:07 AM

I think to many people read the heading and skimmed the message. My take was that he wasn't trying to defend the ACC, but say that nobody will admit that the SEC isn't as advertised. I see a bunch of switch Clemson with a handful of teams and that team wins the ACC.

I have one for you. Change Louisville with anyone in the SEC, including Bama, and who is the best team? It is still Clemson. When being second best becomes important to me I'll worry about who in the SEC I can change my allegiances to. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in the SEC can have their participation trophy and we will keep our rings.

Sep 17, 2019, 1:02 PM

To all the acc haters out there...

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic