Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot

Aug 31, 2017, 6:14 AM

of posts about it being a good lesson for students to learn that tickets are not free.I wonder how many of those are written by Clemson grads. If they are written by Clemson grads then ya'll are being hypocritical. Tickets were free when you were a student. Were you (back then) suggesting to the AD that students not receive game tickets? Seriosuly doubt it.

It is part of Clemson tradition that students receive game tickets. If you are not an alum, this is not your argument. Sit this one out. I have nothing against you. I am happy to have everyone that wants to get behind our tigers. I don't care if you went to another college, or no college. If you support our tigers, you're on my team. My dad was a Marshall grad, but was as big a Clemson fan as I am. That's becuase alot of his dollars went to Clemson to buy my education, and my tickets which were part of the deal at the time.

So, Clemson alumni, stop posting about students today whinning becuase they are now not getting what you got when you were a student. You would have whinned too if it had happened when you were there. You know it and I know it. Non-alumni, but still just as much a Tiger as any of us, sit this argument out. You don't have expereince to weigh in on this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot

Aug 31, 2017, 6:30 AM

Between the college kids I see at my office and the small group my wife leads, we interact with college kids a bunch. I did read the Clemson response on wyff 4. In my opinion where clemson screwed up with this lottery system online is that apparently once each class's window has closed, they can no longer get tickets. So for seniors, if you don't get a ticket in that 2 hour window, you can't try during the junior soon or fresh time slots. That was not the case when I was a student. Once the senior times opened, you could go down to the stadium any time the rest of the week to get your tickets. That's a mistake if true. Also apparently bridge students can pay $100 and get a guaranteed ticket to every home game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Aug 31, 2017, 7:34 AM

thats how I recall we'd get in line for tix but you could go later in the process if you missed your turn. to just give them the 2 hours seems wrong. if they miss they should still get to go with they next younger groups. I cant see why this wasnt allowed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2017, 8:44 AM

For the Auburn game at least, it wasn't even a 2-hour window. My oldest daughter is a senior and payed to be in the IPTAY Collegiate Club (she wasn't assigned a ticket in the IPTAY "lottery").

So she tried again in the senior slot at 5pm. She said as of 5:14, the website said all the tickets had been assigned. Her boyfriend and some of her senior sorority sisters missed out as well.

Apparently in previous years, if you didn't get a ticket with your class you could try again in the the lower classes time slot. But she said this year you can *only* try with your class. So if you don't get one (for Auburn the senior window was less than 15 mins), you have to look to StubHub or wait and try to find something on gameday...

Same here...there is something wrong with the system

Aug 31, 2017, 9:09 AM

Daughter senior/Iptay logged in at the right times for Iptay and senior day, waited in virtual space and then...no tickets available. Judging from the number of students looking for tickets the system needs to be tweaked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2017, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot ]

Yes you could pick up later. A senior could get any day. If a senior and freshman were dating you had to pick up on the younger classmans priority.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This year the Bridge students were given a chance to

Aug 31, 2017, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot ]

purchase all home games except Auburn & FSU. I believe the cost was $240.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When did they start charging for Student tickets?

Aug 31, 2017, 6:35 AM

Do FSU tickets cost students the same amount as Kent St tickets cost?

As an undergraduate student tickets were free, When I was in Grad school in the 80's we did not get tickets. I went to most every away game and every home game on my dime with my $500 a month salary.

Football costs a lot more these days. Our top assistants make almost 10 times more a year than our head coach did back then.

Re: When did they start charging for Student tickets?

Aug 31, 2017, 8:02 AM

They don't charge yet but its coming. Just a matter of time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

watervused to be free also....and then we improved access

Aug 31, 2017, 6:40 AM

Suck it up buttercup. We have too many students to meet demand for certain games. Deal with it

IT'S A DISCUSSION BOARD!***

Aug 31, 2017, 6:51 AM

Aug 31, 2017, 7:01 AM

Couple of thoughts:

If you ask me football tickets should be included with the price of tuition. Back when I was a student there was a rotation for tickets, and I think that equaled out to 4 home games per year. We didn't receive "free" tickets for every game. Sometimes we ended up having to buy tickets for a couple of games.

MY tickets were never "free", even as a student. I paid my own tuition. So hearing people try to justify why students "deserve" free tickets falls of deaf ears. I hear you, and wish students were just given tickets for every game for free. But, students aren't "entitled" to free tickets until Clemson changes their policy. Let me reiterate, students aren't "entitled" unless it's itemized and paid for as part of tuition.

Try not to attack Clemson grads or attempt to crawl into their heads and pretend you know what they think, you don't. Calling people hypocrites because you're assuming you already know what they think/are typing on a keyboard is beyond presumptuous.

Stop telling Clemson fans in general what to think, or do. It makes you look ridiculous and divisive.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2017, 8:49 AM

are you telling people to stop telling people how to think and feel, sounds hypocritical to me

Just sayin

Sep 3, 2017, 9:40 AM

Thanks for your intelligent response. Nest time please try to be clear so that those of us who've passed the 3rd grade can understand what you're trying to say. I don't read ebonics.

Just say 'in.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enrollment has increased by 10,000 since I was at CU

Aug 31, 2017, 7:08 AM

Death Valley seating capacity has increased by 1,500. See the problem here?

Sure, I would love for my son to have a ticket to every home game, but I know I will be paying for it, either directly or through tuition increases.

Aug 31, 2017, 7:11 AM

We use to wait hours in line in the early 70's to get tickets for crappy football. Monday was seniors, Tuesday juniors, etc. to get tickets for football. However, we also had half of the home side of the field more or less. We sat in sec E a lot. So, there were lots of tickets. Today, I sit on the north side of the field and I think some of the student tickets are in the upper corner of the South side. Those seats are rarely full even on big games. I know the students crowd in and that's ok. JUST GET IN! Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. The better the teams, the more people want to go, and right now we are on a roll. So, tickets are difficult to get even if you have lots of money. I didn't know Bridge students got tickets. This shouldn't happen. Employees that buy tickets and don't go to games and sell those tickets, shouldn't happen either. Date tickets shouldn't be bought before students get their tickets. Believe me, I hate it, but non students over students is wrong. Give the kids a couple of sections, take the seats out and let them stand double wide on a row. They pack in on the hill. Pack em in the stands too.

You could set up littlejohn and fill it up, play it on a big screen and kids that stayed for the whole game in there, gets priority to the next game for tickets. Hey, think outside the box.

You want tickets for the next game, clean the stadium after the game and get a priority ticket for the next game.

Make em show ids to get in on the student ticket. No selling to someone else.

Unfortunately, like Frosty use to say in Ag Econ 352, there is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH,

Why shouldn't Bridge students get tickets? They are in

Aug 31, 2017, 8:20 AM

the Bridge to Clemson program and they pay for their tickets. Most of those kids could have gone to school at any other college in SC but instead chose to enter Clemson's Bridge . Most of them have parents that are alumni and are from SC. Many had scholarship offers from other schools but because they had their heart set on Clemson chose the Bridge route. This year the ticket package for Bridge Students didn't include the Auburn or FSU games.

They're the ones who go to the DNR's fishing rodeo

Aug 31, 2017, 7:12 AM

and shove the little kids out of the way so they can fish instead.

You're wastin' your time.

Selfish people can never put themselves in another man's (or even "youngster's") shoes.

Aug 31, 2017, 7:53 AM

What are you talking about?

"So, Clemson alumni, stop posting about students today whinning because they are now not getting what you got when you were a student."

They are still getting free tickets. The same amount of tickets are given out that were given out when I was a freshman 4 years ago. They have just changed the way students get tickets and took away block seating to make it fair for the whole student body to get tickets. I was a senior when D. Rad suggested that we pay and I actually supported that because I was tired of the luck of the draw system. I'd rather just pay a discounted price and get a ticket and the same seat every game. The big problem is they have increased the class size and so the demand for tickets are higher.

I'll also repeat that there won't be near the outcry for the less important games. No one will be complaining about the citadel.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2017, 8:00 AM

I graduated in 1977 and tickets weren't free. We had to pay a $35.00 Activities Fee which provided us with tickets. And before crying, "I'd pay $35 for season tickets," consider that I worked at the University to help pay my tuition and made $1.65 per hour. The world was very different then and the cost of a college education has increased more than the general cost of living. But nothing in life is free. So students need to get used to it. Let them get a part time job to pay the cost of the tickets. I won't hurt them. In fact, it will better equip them for the real world once they leave the "hallowed halls of Clemson University." Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2017, 11:16 AM

But they still pay the activities fee and have no tickets.

Aug 31, 2017, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot ]

> I graduated in 1977 and tickets weren't free. We had
> to pay a $35.00 Activities Fee which provided us with
> tickets. And before crying, "I'd pay $35 for season
> tickets," consider that I worked at the University to
> help pay my tuition and made $1.65 per hour. The
> world was very different then and the cost of a
> college education has increased more than the general
> cost of living. But nothing in life is free. So
> students need to get used to it. Let them get a part
> time job to pay the cost of the tickets. I won't
> hurt them. In fact, it will better equip them for
> the real world once they leave the "hallowed halls of
> Clemson University." Go Tigers!

there still is an activity fee***

Aug 31, 2017, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: This is not an alum versus nonalum post. But I do see alot ]

It was also a tradition that all students were

Aug 31, 2017, 8:33 AM

Military

It was also a tradition that freshman wore yellow caps.

Students today have things i didnt have. I had things the students today dont...Slims!

Things change. Nothing hypocritical about it.

Hypocritical would be if a student said that students shouldn't get free tickets and then went and got a free ticket.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Well I'll "weigh in on this one"

Aug 31, 2017, 8:37 AM

1. I have two students attending right now. They're living the dream I passed up.
2. As someone rightly mentioned, it IS a discussion board. Telling someone not to offer up his thoughts because his credentials don't match yours is akin to saying God's grace is for folks in your denomination only. Who are you to decide that?

We supported the proposal last year to pay for piece of mind. "Free" tickets would still have been available. I'm fortunate enough to have extra tickets for my children (my son didn't get one this week), but I'd rather not have to play the lottery with them to figure out whether or not I'll need to uninvite a guest.

Times change. Money wins championships. A lot (I had to write "a lot" five times on the back of my composition paper in 11th grade for using the non-word "alot" in error.) of people can afford tickets. Perhaps giving folks a choice would be a good thing. The Antifa crowd can protest or sit up top.

Go Tigers!

WL

Aug 31, 2017, 8:41 AM

Let's not assume all students are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many students do work hard to pay for tuition. They work summer jobs and part time during the rest of the year. They borrow more money than we paid for our house. Also, activity fees have nothing to do with football tickets. Those fees go towards other 'activities' on campus.

Perhaps drop the on-line process and go back to the old way. I graduated in '78 and don't remember students ever not getting a ticket. I know, a ton more students now. Also, I don't buy the every other university makes students pay for tickets argument. I thought we prided ourselves on being better than other universities. We are CLEMSON, Why would we want to be like SEC schools.

If a student wants a ticket to "THEIR" football game, they should get it.

What if a non Alum paid for two kids to become Clemson Alums

Aug 31, 2017, 8:47 AM

Do I get an opinion then?

Students SHOULD get tickets to games

Aug 31, 2017, 9:03 AM

as part of some activity fee. They change the dynamic of games. Clemson has been very generous over the years with what they "give" to students. But at the same time, things have changed in the world of higher academics and major D1 football. Its a huge risk to not get students involved at the 100% level because those are the future season ticket holders.

But...at the same time:
In 1992, Death Valley sat 81,473 we had 13,000 students. Students would have been 16%. Students+visitors would have left around 58,000 for season ticket holders.
In 2017 Death Valley still sits 81,500 but there are over 18000 undergrads, or 22%. Students + visitors would have left only about 53,000 season ticket holders.

So there's the rub. The stadium hasn't grown but the demand, both by students and season ticket holders have. Students in large part provide the energy, but season ticket holders provide the money. We've seen what not keeping up financially does.

So whats the solution? It all boils down to a balance of space vs money. Both are finite. Is there a way to add general admission seats above and around the hill for students? Do you charge the students a fee to figure out who is "loyal?" Do you reward seniority but risk missing out on freshmen that then become less loyal by the time they are seniors? Do we go back to crappy football that lowers demand?

I've seen both sides. I was at Clemson 94-98. There was plenty of space for Tommy West football, but limited space for Rick Barnes basketball. We had a guranteed football ticket and the right to buy a "date ticket." We camped out for days for basketball. "Free" tickets to major college athletics is basically unheard of now. But it sure is a nice perk and is a primary driver of what makes Clemson different from a loyalty standpoint than say Ohio State.

Aug 31, 2017, 9:15 AM

Seems like the biggest problem in all of this is the switch to the online system. Graduated from Clemson in 2014 and we still had the camp out for tickets system going.

That really showed who wanted to get those tickets if they were willing to sit in line for a week. You had to be really committed. Now just getting online while convenient does let people who may not care as much about the game to just put in for a ticket. I would just switch back to the old system

Agree...students should be guaranteed a ticket, however....

Aug 31, 2017, 9:36 AM

...student should stay for the entire game if they expect to receive future tix. Should be an easy way to come up with a formula to determine whether or not students merit a ticket. If you are going to show up once in a blue moon than you should pay just like any "fan" who has to pay when they only attend once in a blue moon.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree...students should be guaranteed a ticket, however....

Aug 31, 2017, 10:43 AM

I am not an alumni but a forever IPTAY donor. When I was healthy enough to climb those hills and the stands I needed extra tickets to many games and always got student section tickets. One of the most memorable was the Gardner catch right in front of the student section. Everyone was packed in of course but I was also surrounded by gamecocks girls who were freezing but too proud to use our blankets that we didn't use. Point is if students get tickets they should not be allowed to sell them. While I am eternally grateful that I got to use them, I am sure there were students who didn't get tickets that would love to have been at those games

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 31, 2017, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Agree...students should be guaranteed a ticket, however.... ]

same goes for the adults in my section who leave early to avoid the traffic. They missed some exciting endings last season. My montra, if the boys are on the field, we are in the stands!

Aug 31, 2017, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Agree...students should be guaranteed a ticket, however.... ]

same goes for the adults in my section who leave early to avoid the traffic. They missed some exciting endings last season. My mantra, if the boys are on the field, we are in the stands!

Aug 31, 2017, 9:56 AM

My last football season as a student was 2014, and we had the exact same allotted amount as they do now and enrollment hasn't sigficantly increased since. 2014 was also the last season they did the ticket distribution in person. There wasn't nearly the amount of bitching then as there is now. So that tells me the new way of distribution in screwed up, or the student body has turned into a bunch of whiners. My money is on the distribution being screwed up, during my time if you put forth the effort to have a good spot in line you were pretty much guaranteed for a ticket and that was just 3 years ago.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re:

Aug 31, 2017, 10:21 AM

Not sure what this has to do with Alumni or non-Alumni...

But if a kid is fully enrolled in CU academics there should be a ticket offered to him for a reasonable amount of time / effort. If it's a revenue thing, make it optional when paying tuition and fees.

If, when I was a fully enrolled and paying full tuition, I didn't have a chance at a ticket I too would be really f ing ticked off.

Fortunately (or rather unfortunately) this was not an issue during my 5 years on campus as we were not the same caliber team and often the top corners were still empty on game days (thanks to both of the Tommys!).

It appears the other issue is really the new online lottery, time method. Why not use the former method of physically arriving, waiting and picking up a ticket?

Re:

Aug 31, 2017, 10:38 AM

The issue with the camping out was people complained, and wanted a better system.

Irony is a funny thing.

I think this became an alum v. non-alum poast

Aug 31, 2017, 10:27 AM

HTH

Aug 31, 2017, 10:37 AM

The issue is Alums used to camp out for tickets, this current generation of students complained and wanted the online process.

If students have an issue I would suggest they take it up with IPTAY or their Student Government, because Tnet isn't going to be of much help in this situation.

Wrongo....if you call camping out for 3 days Free

Aug 31, 2017, 11:12 AM

You don't understand opportunity cost....I gave up 3 nights of poon and nights at TTT and lowered my GPS at least 1/10 a point camping out. Not FREE at all

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is dumb...

Aug 31, 2017, 11:19 AM

GO TIGERS!!

there was also a Johnstone when I was there

Aug 31, 2017, 11:37 AM

things change

I paid $0.75 per gallon for gas one time while I was at

Aug 31, 2017, 11:39 AM

Clemson. Current students should not expect the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

The school is growing and the stadium is not. Unless you

Aug 31, 2017, 11:46 AM

want to a) reduce the number of season tickets available to IPTAY members, or b) spend tens of millions of dollars expanding the stadium to give away more free tickets to students (good luck selling either one of these options), there really is no solution. The system can be changed, but that will only alter who gets left out.

If you want students who really want to be there to get the tickets you have to charge them either time (camping out) or money (student ticket fees). If you want it to be completely free for students, you get what we apparently have now: some kind of online lottery system.

Could students today handle living in Johnstone?

Aug 31, 2017, 11:57 AM

If you want everybody to have the same college experience, then we should turn back time on everything right? Make folks camp out for tickets, stand in line days beforehand.

If Clemson were to increase in size to 30k students, should they all still get tickets?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could students today handle living in Johnstone?

Aug 31, 2017, 12:04 PM

Could students today handle living in Johnstone?

Easy: "No."

- Johnstone E Alumni

Lived in E3 for two years

Aug 31, 2017, 12:47 PM

It was AWESOME!!!

Wish we had cable tv and doors on the toilets, but everything else was great.

the online system is the issue

Aug 31, 2017, 12:33 PM

When I was at Clemson (2009-2013) I never over had an issue getting a student ticket. I could walk up to the ticket office and get one the Friday before the game, even for the big ones. I personally preferred the upper deck so that never bothered me

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic