Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is mainly for the old timers like me.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

This is mainly for the old timers like me.....

Nov 30, 2018, 9:18 PM

I remember back in the ‘80s when bowl scouts from several bowls would attend our games weekly. At the end of the season often 4 or 5 bowls would extend an invitation to us and we got to pick which bowl we wanted to go to.

Today we are told which bowl we have to play in.

We got to go to a lot of different bowls back then and didn’t end up at the same location every year.

Which system do you guys like better?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is mainly for the old timers like me.....

Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 PM

Old school rules

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like playing for the national championship every year.

Nov 30, 2018, 9:20 PM

That's much better!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

call something nice, kiss it goodbye***

Nov 30, 2018, 9:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

That's was before all the conferences had all the bowl.....

Nov 30, 2018, 9:27 PM

tie-ins like now - I liked it better back in our "old days."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Freedom's overrated

Nov 30, 2018, 9:27 PM

Let's all be slaves to the system.

Nov 30, 2018, 9:29 PM

not sure I would call the '80's old timers ... jmo

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 9:31 PM

Yeah, bowls were actually in competition with each other to get the best two teams they could and would typically take a calculated risk by signing contracts with teams before the regular season was even over.

I liked the old...

Nov 30, 2018, 9:36 PM

BUT...if Tigers had a great season (ACC champs), the Orange was usually the location (as in '81). I like it where the Tigers have more opportunities in more national locations with current setup. I want them playing in a major New Years bowl somewhere...a potential national championship trophy in January.
GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I liked the old...

Nov 30, 2018, 9:45 PM

This is true if we are in the top 10. What if we aren’t? Seems like we went to the Peach Bowl an awful lot. Got boring after a while.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I liked the old...

Nov 30, 2018, 10:01 PM [ in reply to I liked the old... ]

Citrus and Gator Bowls were a regular trip

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the year the Sugar Bowl locked up 7-0 UVa

Nov 30, 2018, 10:09 PM

and ended up with a 7-4 UVa on New Year's Day.

They learned a valuable lesson I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 10:19 PM

We could pass on the CFP and select the belk bowl or lose tomorrow and get a wider selection

Nov 30, 2018, 11:01 PM

I like having a winning team. In the days of yore.... we couldn’t win the popularity contest. Don’t believe me? Look at the MichEgan hype, Okie hype, Nutjob hype.... media caters to the the biggest base

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 30, 2018, 11:09 PM

I liked it better when bowls were named Peach, Gator, Cotton, Rose, Sugar, Astro-Blubonnet, etc. I hate that they have changed the names to whichever large company is sponsoring them. I think Blockbuster started that crap, and screwed it up for everyone. I cannot even determine the names of the bowls any longer.

But, I am glad that the Rose Bowl is no longer just for the B10 and Pac12. They sucked in recent years and did not deserve higher paying bowls than national champion teams. I think one year (many years ago) that UCLA got to play in the Rose Bowl with 5 wins, and had to win the bowl game to prevent a losing season. DUMB.

I know it sounds peevish, but I'm with you on those thoughts.

Nov 30, 2018, 11:19 PM

It just sounded funny attending the Mazda Gator Bowl. Or watching the Poulon Weedeater Bowl....

Always wondered why they didn't do what the Rose Bowl has done, and call it THE GATOR BOWL Presented by Mazda or THE SUGAR BOWL Presented by Morton's Salt or whatever....lol

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at Clemson in the 60's. Our annual bowl game

Nov 30, 2018, 11:11 PM

was the South Carolina game, which meant the end of the season for both teams.

We wouldn't have known how to behave, if we had been selected for a bowl! lol

And the birth of the Tiger Paw $2.00 bills ....

Dec 1, 2018, 12:31 AM

If the bowl committee was trying to decide between 3 basically equal teams...Choose us! Your Chamber of Commerce will love it.

Old school, the truth

Dec 1, 2018, 7:50 AM

Between 1968 and 1977, Clemson posted 8 losing seasons in 9 years.

In 1975, a 1-6 Clemson team faced a 1-6 FSU team in Death Valley. Best gameday sign ever at Clemson that day said, "Welcome Bowl Scouts". (FSU beat us 43-7. We ended the year 2-9.)

Between 1960 and 1976, Clemson ranked 88th in the nation in winning percentage. We won fewer games in those 17 years than The Citadel, Maryland, UNC, Duke, Louisville, NCSU, Syracuse, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Boston College and ECU among many, many others.

I strongly prefer the modern era of Clemson football over the nightmarish, long dark football night of the 1960s and 70s which ended in 1977 for our Tigers.

I strongly prefer Clemson's place in the world of college football today when we are close to our 4th consecutive invitation to the College Football playoff and will most assuredly play in our 13th consecutive bowl and our 21st bowl in the last 23 seasons!

Conference tie ins messed that up. Even then, we were locked

Dec 1, 2018, 8:02 AM

out of some bowls (Rose, Sugar)

I think bowls are going to eventually die away. Nobody goes, it’s too expensive and easier to watch on TV. An 8 game playoff will help to extinguish them.

As long as we are in playoff picture, this is more exciting. But i hate the tie ins with lower tier bowls.

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic