Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
“But Bama was running that ball all night”
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

“But Bama was running that ball all night”

Apr 17, 2019, 12:53 PM

It’s been about three months since Dabo and Co dismantled Bama in Santa Clara. And I’m still amazed to hear people- usually CFB fans of other schools or Paul Finebaum- say “but Bama was killing Clemson running the ball.”

So if you are a Coot or Dawg or whatever non Clemson fan you, let me break it down for you: CBV allowed Bama to run the ball.

Go watch the game on YouTube. It’s obvious Coach V’s gameplay was to fight Bama down the field, keep both safeties back to support the pass defense, and force Bama to kick field goals(or run stupefyingly bad fake FGs). Guess what? It worked to perfection.

It’s not the first time a defensive coordinator allowed the other team to run the ball. The most famous of such tactics was the 1990 Super Bowl in which the Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick told his defense to focus on stopping Jim Kelly and the Bills passing attack, and not to worry about Thurman Thomas running the ball.

The truth is Bama had a very dynamic offense with a dynamic QB. So you gotta pick your poison. BV correctly chose to stop the pass. And with one major exception, the Clemson defense did just that.

Tua looked average all night. I’m sure there are 13 defensive coordinators in the SEC previously too stupid to figure this out who are happy Daddy Brent showed them how to do it.

Time to recognize where the best coaching in college football resides. It’s in a small college town in Pickens County, South Carolina. Now bend the knee.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They also couldn't run the ball at all in the redzone.***

Apr 17, 2019, 1:22 PM

Their Wildcat was effective for a few plays but they didn't use it on our goal-line stands.

They only averaged 4YPC. We averaged 4.4.

Message was edited by: acevans®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They also couldn't run the ball at all in the redzone.***

Apr 17, 2019, 3:55 PM

Lol, pundits still trying to reason how that ### cuttin happened!
I'll tell you how.....better personnel and coaching.
It's time for them to just suck it up!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They also couldn't run the ball at all in the redzone.***

Apr 18, 2019, 10:42 AM [ in reply to They also couldn't run the ball at all in the redzone.*** ]

presumably, BV recognized that once Alabama was inside our 25 or so, he could go back to run-stuffing because there were no longer deep routes needing to be covered.

Re: “But Bama was running that ball all night”

Apr 17, 2019, 1:53 PM

Bama was running the ball all night, while we were running up the score!

Apr 17, 2019, 2:04 PM

Lol. But they couldn't run at the goal line could they.

Exactly! That's when CBV put the brakes on the running game***

Apr 18, 2019, 9:24 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 17, 2019, 2:07 PM

don't think tua(4th and 4)and damien harris(1st and goal) would necessarily agree with that assessment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 17, 2019, 3:17 PM

I wouldn't say they were too stupid to figure it out, I'd say they just didn't have the talent on the line to go toe to toe with Alabama's OL (one of the best in Saban's career there) and have LB's trusted enough to plug the gaps stopping Jacob's and Harris(both) in 1 on 1 situations. Our coaches had better players and better preparation for the moment and our experienced guys balled out.

Bama had a good OL but it wasn't on par with our DL

Apr 17, 2019, 6:25 PM

Their goal line rushing, or lack thereof, proved that

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Apr 17, 2019, 3:44 PM

You hit the nail on the head talking about us concentrating on stopping the pass. When the defense plays the pass all night, and the offense only averages 4 yards a carry with a long of 15, I wouldn't be bragging about the success of the run.

Apr 17, 2019, 9:10 PM

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think CBV subs a lot between the 20's, but once the opponents gets close to the red zone, the fresh 1's come in and shuts them down. I've noticed that in several games, but not sure if true every game. Anyone else think he does that?

All above is correct IMO

Apr 17, 2019, 9:28 PM

BV always seems to put the #1 D line back in game in goal line situations.

Of course we let them move the ball between the 10’s. The game plan was obvious from get go in that we were going to stop the long pass even if that meant giving up some reusing yardage.

With that said, once the field shrinks at the goal line we were able to stuff the run while forcing Tua to throw into tight windows. He lived all year on fly routes and big passes. He never showed me he could throw into small windows when he had to like in the red zone during Champ game.

I felt the exact same thing

Apr 18, 2019, 12:00 AM

every highlight I saw of him all year long was long bombs to (mostly) open receivers. strong arm, not much versatility or finesse

Re: I felt the exact same thing

Apr 18, 2019, 5:14 AM

Desmond Howard never said Bama had the 'finesse' team. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All above is correct IMO

Apr 18, 2019, 12:11 AM [ in reply to All above is correct IMO ]

This Bama offense showed a lack of imagination and preparation in the red zone. Smart defenses--under Venables, ours is extremely smart and plays disciplined assignment football--use the boundaries and end zone to limit receivers' route options.

And since Ross came to us, for all their great WRs they had no one who could create a mismatch or go get a fade.

Irv Smith could have been, but he was a weaker blocker than the backup, so if Bama had put him in at the goal line he would have been the obvious target.

To me the play of the game was the third down play on the goal line where Wilkins fired off the ball laterally and created the TFL . That was situational defensive line play at its best.

Normally Bama imposes their will, but without that advantage they had no mismatches to exploit.

Re: All above is correct IMO

Apr 18, 2019, 5:48 AM

Man, this is a great analysis!

Apr 17, 2019, 11:01 PM

Top 5 POTD

+1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 17, 2019, 11:26 PM

Nice Game of Thrones reference.

"Bend the knee."

I said after the game that V set up Tua with the UofSCjr

Apr 18, 2019, 7:40 AM

game.

Fake Bentley looked like Tom Brady... Slicing us up.... Right.

And Bammer and Tua swallowed the hook.

Drive safely....Thanks for playing.

POTD

Apr 18, 2019, 12:23 PM

great take...with attiude!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic