Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jake Fruhmorgen ... the “bookend” to Mitch Hyatt.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 3,053

Jake Fruhmorgen ... the “bookend” to Mitch Hyatt.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:33 AM

A “Can’t miss” recruit that cemented Clemson’s new found ability to sign top OL.

Big Fruh finally landed at Baylor.

Meanwhile ... Taylor Hearn is in the NFL.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are very, very few "can't miss" recruits every year...

Dec 11, 2018, 10:43 AM

Especially OL. Jake Fruhmorgen was never considered one of those kind of prospects

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are very, very few "can't miss" recruits every year...

Dec 11, 2018, 10:47 AM

He was in fact very close to that. He contributed very early in his career and likely would have continued to produce very good results had he not decided he needed to part ways with the program.

The talent was there but the fit was not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:12 AM

and yet he's moved around and for all his talent doesnt start at Baylor. you'd think by now he would be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:18 AM

The fit seems to have never been found. Also it's hard to develop to your full potential while bouncing around. None of that takes away from the talent that he had coming in.

If anything, Fruh is the reason that our coaches are willing to take lesser talents that are willing to cross-train and be team guys.

Not quite....

Dec 11, 2018, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: There are very, very few "can't miss" recruits every year... ]

I would call Trevor Lawrence a "can't miss" recruit. Xavier Thomas would probably fall into that category, along with guys like Clowney, Reggie Bush, & Vince Young.

These guys are the cream of the crop...the truly elite recruits that only come around every couple of years.

Mitch Hyatt was a highly ranked OL recruit. He was not a "can't miss" kind of guy.

Fruhmorgen was also highly ranked. But he wasn't in that elite category either. On top of that, he dealt with a bum shoulder his senior year of HS that affected his upper body strength his entire 1st year on campus.

Now, did that play a role in his decision to transfer? Probably. Could he have been overrated as a HS recruit? Looks like it. Were there other, personal issues at play with him that ultimately sealed his fate at Clemson? Yes.

Here's the point - Offensive line is far and away the most difficult position to evaluate when talking about HS kids. That's why there are so few "elite" OL recruits to go around, and why so many unranked or 3-star guys go on to have great careers. There are just as many highly ranked guys who pan out to be busts. Remember Spencer Region? It's just hard to project how they will continue to grow and develop and respond to coaching.

This is why it's almost unfair to label a kid as a "can't miss" prospect just because he had 4* by his name on the recruiting sites. I don't think there's a single person who understands recruiting that would have labeled Fruh as that kind of an elite prospect.

Just my .02 cents

Dec 11, 2018, 2:03 PM [ in reply to There are very, very few "can't miss" recruits every year... ]

He was in fact highly recruited and his dad played a number of years in the league. He was just missing solid material between the ears.

Dec 11, 2018, 3:51 PM

There is a big difference between a guy being highly ranked, and a guy being labeled as "can't miss"

I hope Fruhmorgen got everything sorted out.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:19 AM

Wasn't he struggling with some off the field stuff?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I remember him struggling with snap count a couple times

Dec 11, 2018, 1:07 PM

I always felt dealing with the resulting but chewings were his biggest problem

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope Fruhmorgen got everything sorted out.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to I hope Fruhmorgen got everything sorted out. ]

yes, and I won't speculate on what they were and wish him the best.

Re: I hope Fruhmorgen got everything sorted out.

Dec 11, 2018, 3:52 PM [ in reply to I hope Fruhmorgen got everything sorted out. ]

Wasn't putting in the necessary work...got chewed out in practice and yanked from a game...didn't respond well to the coach's "tough love"

Helicopter dad had a lot to do with it

Replies: 11
| visibility 3,053
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic