Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have supreme confidence in Dabo & the football team to win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

I have supreme confidence in Dabo & the football team to win

Jan 26, 2019, 7:46 PM

All big games. They are always prepared

As much confidence as I have in the Varsity football team to kick the $hlt out of every opponent, I also have the utmost faith in the basketball team to ###### defeat from the jaws of victory at every chance they have.

Was watching the game with my dad earlier (clemson grad/doctor) when we were up 6 or 7 points with 30 seconds to go. Told him we'd find a way to lose, and we did.

Nice! Takes lots of practice at losing to miss 4 free throws, foul the opposition twice when trying to run out the clock, and give up a 23 foot 3 pointer all in 30 seconds

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Good to see your dad is a success.***

Jan 26, 2019, 7:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have anything to say about the facts I stated ?***

Jan 26, 2019, 7:49 PM

I did***

Jan 26, 2019, 7:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did***

Jan 26, 2019, 10:09 PM

No, you did not. You commented on my father being successful. Still waiting....

Re: You have anything to say about the facts I stated ?***

Jan 26, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to You have anything to say about the facts I stated ?*** ]

Seems to be a fact that no one cares that your father is a dr

Re: I have supreme confidence in Dabo & the football team to win

Jan 26, 2019, 7:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you had no confidence in Dabo during those 6-7 seasons and when he was losing to SC.

How many 6-7 seasons did Dabo have?***

Jan 26, 2019, 8:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: How many 6-7 seasons did Dabo have?***

Jan 26, 2019, 8:29 PM

Looks like only 1. I was thinking there was 2.

Re: How many 6-7 seasons did Dabo have?***

Jan 26, 2019, 10:30 PM

Your team...UOfSC has more 6 loss seasons than the majority of programs

Isn’t it interesting how Dabo became a much better recruiter, coach, and program builder

Jan 26, 2019, 8:34 PM

once he got the facilities, assistant coaches, and support staff he wanted?

Before that, he wasn’t doing so hot, to the point that most of TigerNet wanted him fired.

Have you ever wondered how good we could be in basketball if we put forth a similar level of commitment to it? Or at least a lot more than we have thus far? I have, and I think we could be great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Isn’t it interesting how Dabo became a much better recruiter, coach, and program builder

Jan 26, 2019, 8:37 PM

pretty sure Clemson has done two major renovations to Littlejohn the last 20 years. Surely you know this.

Re: Isn’t it interesting how Dabo became a much better recruiter, coach, and program builder

Jan 26, 2019, 8:39 PM

Dabo's success is linked to the fact he was able to get 3 star QBs in a row. Two of those QBs grew up 2 hours or so from Clemson which was an advantage in getting them.

Jan 26, 2019, 8:53 PM

Don't you have a sled to pull? Mush....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 8:55 PM

you seem like a hostile person

Only to well-deserving

Jan 26, 2019, 9:01 PM

Richard weeds...
You win...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only to well-deserving

Jan 26, 2019, 9:06 PM

you don't seem to say anything specific. You have yet to talk about Clemson basketball or explain what your disagreement is with me.

The recent facility upgrades were great.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Isn’t it interesting how Dabo became a much better recruiter, coach, and program builder ]

Brad almost single-handedly raised the money to fund it by meeting with potential donors himself over a several year period. I’m guessing you knew that.

Clemson likes to pat itself on the back when it does anything for basketball, as if the football team deserved it more, and then expects the basketball team to overachieve since it was thrown some crumbs. Never mind the fact that it is a ridiculous way to approach it.

Our facilities are nice, but it’s not like they are among the nations best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The recent facility upgrades were great.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 PM

what make other program facilities better than Clemson's?

Duke's gym doesn't look like anything special to me.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:44 PM

I don't understand why you keep bringing up football on a topic about basketball.

As i've pointed out, southern universities don't have a natural advantage in basketball recruiting as they do in football where the warmer weather plays a role.

There are also more competitive programs and conferences in basketball compared to football. Even small schools like Radford have some very good players.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:42 PM [ in reply to The recent facility upgrades were great. ]

Our facilities are right up there with the ACC now. You think Dabo went out and signed a CJ Spiller, Tajh Boyd, Stephone Anthony, Sammy Watkins, etc... with trophies and facilities. No he didn’t, he just had a belief inn himself and was able to sell his vision to the BOT, AD, parents, and recruits.

BB has no vision on how to build a program and sell Clemson to recruits. He has new facilities and a new staff... did they help him land Zion or Josiah? No... because he’s a tactician who can’t sell himself or program. Just let it go Keller, this basketball program is below average with 1 year luck runs every so often and it will remain that way with a leader who can’t lead and get buy in. Dont confuses footballs current situation with the one Dabo took over and built from ground up. You want to win in basketball, let Dabo take over.

Below average program?!?

Jan 26, 2019, 9:48 PM

You don’t understand what average means. Average is a .500 record.

We are indeed average throughout our basketball history, with a winning percentage right around .500.

Under Brownell, we are well above .500.

Please try again.

Re: Below average program?!?

Jan 26, 2019, 10:02 PM

You’re right this team and program is on the cusp of greatness. We have dominated our schedule which slightly over half our games are non conference and most being cupcakes. Save me the tough OOC arguement against Creighton and Miss St. the big 12 SEC challenge proved the fallacy that any team in that league isn’t horrible.

We squeaked out wins against ST. Peters or whoever it was, lost to a crappy Nebraska team, and choke away what few ACC games are even close. That is a recap of this year but can pretty much sum up Clemson basketball for the last 20 years. Like I said, we can get lucky ever so often and we should enjoy that, fact is our team is below average.

But please Keller tell me how the basketball team is going to be great and BB will lead us to greatness like Dabo. Just think where this team would be this year without Eli and Reed (the only two good players)... bc next year that is reality along with other crappy starters who are apparently better than the backups who will continue our losing tradition next year.

Point is... go find a coach with a vision to build a program because we don’t have that now.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:10 PM

It is funny how you expect Clemson to be great in basketball simply b/c it has had success in football. You never explain why Clemson should be great in basketball.

Generally the best players go to programs that have won titles in the past.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:21 PM

I think I’ve been pretty clear so keep up... get a coach with a vision and can sell his vision to all the key stakeholders.

Yes Clemson won a natty in 81. In 2008 that natty wasn’t relevant and no kids were signing up to play for Clemson who had legit talent. You think it was an 81 natty the reason CJ, Tajh, Sammy, Nuk, etc showed up at Clemson? You look at Clemson 2019 and take for granted what Dabo did. To fix basketball follow the same mold you did to fix football. Get yourself a coach that has a belief and couples that with core values vs the coach that likes to play defense hard.

That, and an administration willing to spend millions

Jan 26, 2019, 10:24 PM

on any and all facility requests, assistant coach salaries, and support staff the coach needs.

Dabo is a great coach and leader, but he would not have been successful at Clemson without the outstanding support he has received from the university and fans.

Good assistants mean a LOT

Jan 27, 2019, 8:14 AM

Remember when Dabo gave up increases in his own salary in order to raise his assistants' salaries? That is where success begins.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 26, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Below average program?!? ]

all you do is speak platitudes about vision and belief. you skip the part on how this gets the top players to come to Clemson.

Brownell did sell his vision for better facilities to donors

Jan 27, 2019, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Below average program?!? ]

That's why we have the facilities at all. The Clemson athletic department had very little to do with that, other than telling Brad they would help out if he did all the legwork and raised the money first.

Brownell also sold his vision to Thomas and Reed, the two players you mentioned earlier when you asked us to imagine how bad we would be without them. For some reason he doesn't get credit for recruiting them, even though transfers have to be recruited too.

It gets old reading the same tired criticisms of him, and when facts to the contrary are raised, they fall on deaf ears.

You and some others here just don’t get it.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Below average program?!? ]

There are plenty of basketball coaches who can win at Clemson, and I believe that Brownell is one of them. But that will never happen until the program gets what it needs to build consistent success.

Clemson is perceived as a football school that doesn’t care about basketball. Recruits know this. Opposing coaches who recruit against us know this, and exploit it. Not caring about basketball is a title we have earned over the past 100 years.

Changing that identity isn’t as simple as hiring a slick taking coach. If you expect Brownell or anyone else to walk into top recruits’ homes and convince them to come to Clemson, you’re expecting something unreasonable.

The new facilities are great, but they don’t automatically mean that Clemson becomes an easy sell to recruits. While the facilities help, there is still plenty of doubt that Clemson truly cares about basketball. Giving Brownell the raise and extension helps, but again, we are up against over 100 years of basketball mediocrity.

I don’t know if Brownell will get it done at Clemson, but I do know that attitudes and posts like yours don’t help at all.

If Clemson doesn’t dramatically change the way it views and supports basketball, the chances of our next coach being amazing, and that coach being happy enough at Clemson to stay, are slim to none.

Re: You and some others here just don’t get it.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:31 PM

Clemson wasn’t spending on football when Dabo took over. For years we were behind in everything even in football. You forget that it was Dabo who sold a vision to BOT to get his support. What’s the difference between that and basketball. Have strong leadership and a direction and this BOT will support. Too bad we don’t have that. Anyway... who cares bc it’s basketball and March means baseball but quit acting like Dabo isn’t the reason we are where we are in football. One day maybe basketball under new leadership will be there.

Re: You and some others here just don’t get it.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:35 PM

Clemson was only ranked 24 or so richest college football programs so money doesn't have much to do with it.

Clemson has had one of the biggest stadiums in the country and in football most of the talent is in the south. There is a lot less legit competition in football than in basketball.

Clemson had just completed the West End Zone.

Jan 27, 2019, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: You and some others here just don’t get it. ]

Soon into Dabo's tenure, the indoor practice facility was designed and construction began. Interestingly, recruiting improved after that as well.

I think Dabo is great, but it's overly simplistic to give him all the credit for our success. A lot has gone into him being successful, as I've mentioned (great support from the university and fans, huge budget for continued facility upgrades, highest assistant coaching budget in the country, outstanding support staff, the best social media team, etc.).

If Dabo didn't have all of those advantages, I don't think we would've won nearly as many ACC titles, and I also don't believe we would've made the playoffs yet.

BB at Clemson is .571 overall .469 in ACC = average***

Jan 26, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Below average program?!? ]

Re: BB at Clemson is .571 overall .469 in ACC = average***

Jan 26, 2019, 10:09 PM

Subtract the cupcakes where the schedule is filled with preseason warmups and you have below average. Some here find it difficult to understand BB is below average along with our program. I dont know who the right coach is but I know the current one lacks vision.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The recent facility upgrades were great. ]

Brownell was able to get Marquisse Reed and Eli Thomas and Devoe to come to Clemson. Those are 3 of the best players in college basketball the past few years in my view.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:53 PM

I think Brownell has recruited at least as well as Rick Barnes who is supposed to be a slick talker.

The program is at least as good now as it was with Barnes. ALso keep in mind the ACC is tougher now than with Barnes with the addition of Cuse, ND, Lville, Miami and Pitt, even Pitt has been down last couple of years.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic