Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Braves: Slow Market Giving Atlanta a Shot at Signing Harper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,296

Braves: Slow Market Giving Atlanta a Shot at Signing Harper

Jan 24, 2019, 4:31 PM

By Kit Anderson 2 days ago

Bryce Harper signing with the Atlanta Braves may be a long shot, but it makes sense for both sides. Harper would fill a big hole on the Braves roster and give them one of, if not the best lineups in the National League.

Bryce Harper has long been a hated rival, the Atlanta Braves fan base, however, wouldn’t mind seeing him become a Brave. Harper could take the Braves vacant spot in right-field and hit cleanup offering the Braves pop they have lacked the past few seasons.

Harper is seemingly a perfect fit in Atlanta considering he fixes all of Atlanta’s shortcomings offensively. He would fix their lack of an obvious cleanup hitter, as well as offer some much needed power.

Harper is still only 26-years old and would fit perfectly with Atlanta’s youth movement. The one problem with this scenario? The price for Harper is expected to be record setting, and likely to be handed out by one of the teams with a bigger market.

The only way Bryce comes to Atlanta is if the Braves truly believe they are close to a World Series title or the Harper’s market doesn’t develop as expected. Both of these are very unlikely scenarios.

Still the longer the off-season drags on and the longer Bryce remains unsigned the better the chances the Braves decide to throw their hat into the ring.

Harper to Atlanta is a dream scenario for a team who is so close to being a serious postseason contender.

The slow free agent market is giving Atlanta a chance to sign one of the best young stars in baseball. Aside from the short term problem financially, signing Harper could cause the Braves to lose young home grown talent in the future.

With that in mind, and the exorbitant price it is unlikely Harper ends up with the Braves. But it is a scenario the Braves should consider and one all Braves fans hope ends the off-season silence.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Braves: Slow Market Giving Atlanta a Shot at Signing Harper

Jan 24, 2019, 5:30 PM

Please No!! This guy is a Yankee! He does not fit the braves organization. Arrogant, a me guy, just No!!! He belongs in New York probably with the Mets. The Braves haven't really struggled with overall. To me this is a no sign.

The dude is from Las Vegas...not exactly in the Northeast

Jan 24, 2019, 5:51 PM

If you meant he is destined to play for the Yankees or Mets, then my mistake. To sign Harper would cripple the Braves system for years to come...tons of talent AND ego, but not worth the headache.

Re: The dude is from Las Vegas...not exactly in the Northeast

Jan 24, 2019, 8:04 PM

Yes. I meant more like Yankee material. He seems to enjoy the media circus. As a lifelong braves fan no thanks!

While that would be awesome...

Jan 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

most analysts think Harpers next contract will be in the $340 to $400 million range which is not within the Braves capabilities. In fact, only a limited few teams can afford that.

At the end of the day, what the Braves really need is a veteran starter and at least two proven relievers in order to become a serious playoff contender.

That's where I think they're more likely to spend their money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: While that would be awesome...

Jan 24, 2019, 5:39 PM

I would love to see Harper in Atlanta but with the pricetag it would be a shock. Washington or Philly I expect are the favorites.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No vancy in RF. Markakis was re-signed.***

Jan 24, 2019, 5:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: No vancy in RF. Markakis was re-signed.***

Jan 24, 2019, 5:47 PM

Was about to say, Markakis already re-signed. Braves don't spend big money anyway,the lineup is set. They need another Ace pitcher and true closer. Wish they would get Kimbrell back.

Re: No vancy in RF. Markakis was re-signed.***

Jan 24, 2019, 5:50 PM

Looks like Kimbrell is staying in Boston or coming back home to Atlanta.

Message was edited by: dabrian®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're 100% right. But make it 2 ace pitchers and a closer.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: No vancy in RF. Markakis was re-signed.*** ]

......and YES to Kimbrel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Braves: Slow Market Giving Atlanta a Shot at Signing Harper

Jan 24, 2019, 5:59 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! He is extremely selfish, doesn’t hit for average, premadonna, and his team has made it to the playoffs a few times and didn’t do anything. To me he doesn’t fit the Braves mold.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,296
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic