Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Waterboy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

The Waterboy

Nov 5, 2018, 4:57 PM

I saw the word "Waterboy" the other day and it reminded me of the waterboy we had for our high school football team during the light grey ages of yesteryear. Since this occurred during the 1930's, it's too recent to be referred to as the dark ages.

We didn't have Gatorade or even individual bottles of water but most of the schools had a town water system. At least we had advanced from the pump or well water system so we were in the big time. But we had to depend on our official waterboy during the game. His basic equipment consisted of a ten-quart galvanized bucket and a long handled dipper. Everyone drank from the same dipper. The waterboy was responsible for the care and maintenance of the bucket and dipper.

The source of water for our home games was a spigot about 300 yards from our football field and our waterboy had to make several trips during the game. All of our games were at night and all sorts of night flying insects drank from the same bucket. Even with that Florida sand and other foreign objects finding their way into the bucket I don't ever recall anyone getting sick from drinking the water or drinking from the same dipper.

One of the schools in our conference did not have running water at the field site but did have a hand pump. It was located on the home side of the field. Our waterboy was not allowed to go across the field for a refill except before the game and during half time. During the game he had to circle the field to get a refill at the pump.

And that's the way it was during the 1930's, but we had fun !!!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Waterboy

Nov 5, 2018, 5:14 PM

Joe, I played in the 1960s and we still had a bucket and dipper.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Waterboy

Nov 5, 2018, 6:12 PM

Ditto! Played at Chester High one night. Water froze in Bucket! No water!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic