Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The President said, on camera, several days ago,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 707

The President said, on camera, several days ago,

Dec 21, 2018, 7:12 AM

without any ambiguity, that he personally would be to blame for any government shutdown. That will prove to be a big fat lie. He and the other Republicans will blame the Democrats.

I don't think a government shutdown is as big a deal as the cable media suggests. This has happened several times in the last couple of years, and we're still doing OK.

It is actually kind of hilarious to me that the biggest thing the President is mad about right now is that Congress won't FUND a wall that he PROMISED would be paid for by NOT our government. Another big lie, but we all knew that was a lie the first time he said it. So it was obvious we would eventually be in this spot.

At this point, the Democrats aren't against the wall because it's wrong, and the Republicans aren't for the wall because it would border security. Both parties are solely focused on not losing this game for their team. That's it. But we all end up losing, starting with those who may miss paychecks during a shutdown.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

last paragraph...would *solve* border security***

Dec 21, 2018, 7:13 AM

I've come around on the wall, I think...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:21 AM

I mean, I'm not like "WE GOTTA HAVE A WALL OR WE'LL GET INVADED", and I'm not contributing to the billion dollar GoFundMe...but I think it'd be a good thing to do, as long as we cut spending in a commensurate way in other areas.

I would encourage my representatives to vote in favor funding a border wall. But I don't get upset because someone else's representative votes another way. That's how it works. If the votes aren't there, it doesn't happen, and we suck it up, and try to think of something that will get votes. It'd be different if there were a broad national consensus on the wall...then we'd have a bunch of legislators not doing a good job representing their constituency if they voted against it.

Re: I've come around on the wall, I think...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:25 AM

Why would you want the US taxpayer to pay for the wall though when Mexico is going to pay for it? Let them pick up the tab.

I think it'd be stupid for Mexico to pay for it.

Dec 21, 2018, 7:33 AM

Why would they, and why would I want that? We should pay for the stuff that we need for our country.

Re: I think it'd be stupid for Mexico to pay for it.

Dec 21, 2018, 7:52 AM

Yeah but Mexico will be forced to pay for it. Trump is going to make them whether they want it or not and it will be easy. Let's just sit back and collect checks.

I'd wager the total number of paychecks missed by American

Dec 21, 2018, 7:27 AM

Citizens to illegal immigrant workers dwarfs the number of paychecks missed by government workers in a shutdown. And that's every day for at least a decade. Probably two decades.

In other words, calculate total wages paid to illegal workers in this country daily versus nonessential government workers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, well that's a false dichotomy.

Dec 21, 2018, 7:31 AM

Stopping paychecks to the federal workers obviously will not give paychecks to people who may have lost jobs to illegal immigrants.

Not saying that. Just pointing out the difference in money

Dec 21, 2018, 8:01 AM

And jobs relative to a wall or even a shutdown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, well that's a false dichotomy.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to OK, well that's a false dichotomy. ]

Stopping paychecks to the federal workers obviously will not give paychecks to people who may have lost jobs to illegal immigrants.

Anyone who lost their jobs to illigal immigrants should blame the employer, not the immigrant.

It's a crime to hire an illegal immigrant.

Why is this such a hard concept for people?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The President said, on camera, several days ago,

Dec 21, 2018, 7:27 AM

I don't think the people at his rallies knew that Trump was lying about Mexico paying for our wall. He said it would actually be very easy. They loved it. They believed it. "Who's going to pay for our wall?" Trump supporters at the top of their lungs at every rally, "Mexico!!"

Why aren't his supporters angry about him not

Dec 21, 2018, 7:32 AM

fulfilling that promise, for going back on that? I mean, I know why...it's just kind of sad to me.

Re: Why aren't his supporters angry about him not

Dec 21, 2018, 7:36 AM

It's so odd. I can understand not being mad, but at the least they should realize he is just bullship artist with no substance.

I think they would have wanted a wall, even if

Dec 21, 2018, 7:37 AM

he had never said anything about Mexico paying for it. (Who knows why he did in the first place? Just to say something exciting, I guess.)

Re: I think they would have wanted a wall, even if

Dec 21, 2018, 7:41 AM

If he would have told them that wanting the wall was idiotic, and that we will have the best technology on the border to catch scummy illegals, and he would be adding more of the best border patrol agents this world has ever seen, they would have hated the wall and supported his plan.

I dunno, I think the the wall, from the beginning...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:44 AM

was what set him apart from the other Republican candidates. Not sure he would ever gotten many votes without it. He really would just be campaigning on being really mad, not on a specific hook like that.

Re: I dunno, I think the the wall, from the beginning...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:50 AM

I think he would have. He could have just called the other candidates idiots and just done his act and worked his way around it. It wouldn't have mattered. He has done enough crazy stuff that proves he can say or do anything and they won't care, as long as he says it in a certain disgusting fashion. As long as he talks tough and makes outrageous promises and acts like a bully, the facts are meaningless. They're all in.

The biggest "facepalmers" are the ones who will try to

Dec 21, 2018, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Why aren't his supporters angry about him not ]

twist things around and say that Mexico actually is paying for it, just so they don't have to admit the President lied about something. I mean, come on. They're not paying for it, and never were. It's OK to admit that...it doesn't mean you are no longer loved, or something.

Re: The biggest "facepalmers" are the ones who will try to

Dec 21, 2018, 7:43 AM

Yeah they think somehow NAFTA or tariffs mean in any way that Mexico pays for our wall. They don't realize that means we pay for the wall and Mexico pays nothing.

I think a more worthy cause for not passing a spending bill

Dec 21, 2018, 7:36 AM

would be that there needs to be a bill that shows the government spending at the same amount, or less than, the revenue being brought it. I would encourage my representatives to vote for that, way before wanting them to vote for a wall. But that's an even longer shot.

The last paragraph sounds verbatim from

Dec 21, 2018, 7:52 AM

Fox Business Network spot yesterday.
Taking license?

Never even heard of "Fox Business Network"

Dec 21, 2018, 7:56 AM

Is that a TV channel?

If they talk like that a lot, I might want to watch, though.

Dec 21, 2018, 7:59 AM

Heh, not really, though. I just watch sports and reruns of The Office.

XM113

Dec 21, 2018, 8:20 AM

Forger
??

Dec 21, 2018, 7:56 AM

Please don’t act like Dems were all for this wall and would have made this an easy pass through the house and senate...Clowns like Schumer and Pelosi are just as guilty here. Can’t really call him liar on something that other identities won’t allow...Not fair to him or wasn’t fair to Obama...

Problem here is leverage...Dems DO NOT GIVE A FCK about a government shut down...ever. They did it to get their healthcare disaster and threatened to do it with DACA..so stop painting Trump as the villain here.

I’m personally more concerned about the Kurds that he’s leaving to be slaughtered in Syria...This needs to be pushed more than that god d@mn wall...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I didn't say Democrats weren't to blame...

Dec 21, 2018, 7:58 AM

Of course they are to blame (along with the Republicans). But that's not what the President said a few days ago.

I can and will say the President is a liar if he says something, and then does the opposite. That's kinda the definition of it.

Dec 24, 2018, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: The President said, on camera, several days ago, ]

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but wasn't the ACA passed in 2010 and the Ted Cruz government shutdown over Obamacare in 2013? There was no way that Obama and the Dems would suddenly repeal such a major piece of legislation over a filibuster by one angry Texas Republican.

Even though government shutdowns may not affect a large portion of us especially when it's only a partial shutdown, I think the President and Congress should be ashamed for holding regular Americans hostage while they can't sort out their differences. The threat of a government shutdown should not be used to gain political leverage by anyone, Democrat or Republican.

I would hold Trump and the GOP primarily responsible given that the GOP has control over the Executive branch and both legislative bodies, but that doesn't mean the Dems aren't partially responsible as well. Both side need to give up on "winning" the political battle and compromise. The Dems want $1.3 billion for border security and Trump wants $5 billion for the wall. Compromise and allot $1.3 billion for brooder border security and another $1.3 billion for wall construction.

I think it's ironic that "conservatives" are so willing to

Dec 21, 2018, 8:01 AM

waste so much money shutting down the government. Especially when it's a futile effort, like ted cruz's stunt. And the shutdown will probably waste as much as the $3.4B difference that the Dems don't want to give Trump.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like TSA pat downs the wall would provide

Dec 21, 2018, 8:11 AM

Little more than a false sense of security and a huge waste of money.

There is way too much coastline along the gulf for a wall to do much more than slow things down.
Ask all the Cubans in Florida if a wall would have kept them out.

Dec 21, 2018, 8:15 AM

How are we losing? Clarify.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we'd be losing if whatever would be in the spending

Dec 21, 2018, 8:28 AM

bill would do good for our country. For example, I think there's supposed to be disaster relief funding. I don't know what other specific things, but I'd like to think there are other beneficial items.

Meanwhile, if border security is an issue that negatively affects us all, then nothing is being done by Congress about because they don't want to compromise.

In 2006 the dems were for a "fence" that was never built

Dec 21, 2018, 8:28 AM

for border security but today hate the idea of a "wall" for the same reason.

The only reason is because Trump is for it.

Why the left doesn't want border security is beyond me unless it is simply to get meor deomcratic voters. Now that the most recent bill is out of the House and on tot the Senate, the vote to approve is on the dems.

SHUT DOWN THE BORDER OR SHUT DOWN THE GUBMINT.

Your choice, dems...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

As I said, both sides are just trying to "win".

Dec 21, 2018, 8:29 AM

Not help the border situation.

Re: In 2006 the dems were for a "fence" that was never built

Dec 24, 2018, 8:09 PM [ in reply to In 2006 the dems were for a "fence" that was never built ]

Actually, 654 miles of the 700 mile border fence was constructed. There was legal wrangling over the property rights of private landowners for the remaining 46 miles.

Both the Dems and GOP are full of crap when it comes to the wall. Trump has falsely claimed that the border wall will somehow stop illegal immigration and drug flow even though the majority of illegal immigrants are from visa overstays and over 90 percent of the drugs come via legal ports of entry.

The Dems are only so adamantly opposed to the wall because it's something that Trump wants.

What ever happened to compromise?

Dec 21, 2018, 9:07 AM

https://goo.gl/images/y75ryv

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say that it would be fair to say anyone who...

Dec 21, 2018, 12:37 PM

laughs when a politician lies is a very jovial person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 707
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic