Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Case Against the NCAA/Emmert - Part2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,714

The Case Against the NCAA/Emmert - Part2

May 26, 2019, 7:19 AM

(Sorry, hit "post" by accident earlier). Now the dirt...

History on Emmert - conman on the run: In 1994 became Provost & VP for Acad.Affairs @ Montana St. The school had already been investigated & found guilty in '93 by the NCAA for "lack of institutional control." All that happened before Emmert arrived, & he had no involvement in athletics. Still, he skedaddled & left - but quick! Next stop - UCONN in '95.

Similar position there; Provost & Chancellor for Acad.Affairs, & a BIG fundraiser (his specialty). Big visions; big projects. Just 1 problem: By the time he left for LSU, the buildings & projects somehow lost $100-million (as in - they COULD NOT FIND IT anywhere!) By then, the Gov. of Conn. ordered an investigation to find the missing $100-mil. The Gov's conclusion? "An astonishing failure of oversight & management." Emmert was not directly implicated, but later, a 1998 memo in Emmert's handwriting clearly showed he WAS aware of the construction problems - including over 100 fire code safety violations. Question: In Conn., aren't bids & contracts typically awarded to Mafia "families" & their unions? Just next door to NYC & Jersey, ya know.

Anyway, Emmert had already left in '99 to be LSU Chancellor & that year hired Saban as HC. Magically, Emmert became the highest paid college chief in the U.S. & Saban became highest paid FB HC. [These 2 remain big pals to this day.]

By 2003, LSU won the BCS Championship. But, before Emmert left for Washington in '04, the NCAA investigated academic fraud within LSU FB for 2001-02. Somehow, the NCAA allowed Emmert's LSU to investigate itself & accepted the conclusions - allegations we're "largely unfounded. The NCAA also accepted LSU's self-imposed penalties - loss of TWO scholarships & NO probation. But, 2 women were fired by LSU claiming the fraud DID occur. They sued LSU & settled for $110K each. Also, an instructor testified under oath that grades had been changed for players.

Not to worry - another quick exit by Emmert in '04, leaving to become President of U.Wash (alma mater), where he said, "This is the last stop in my career!"). He did his usual - smiled a lot & raised a TON of money (& being on the Left Coast), made sure U.Wash became the most liberal, left-wing school in America. #1 in the study of climate change, diversity & any other liberal cause celebre. Emmert knows how to please his base!

He did NOT stand by his pledge ("...last stop in my career!"). When the call came in 2010 from the NCAA to become President & CEO - he took off! A college president still answers to a board. An NCAA president is a defacto - "god."

Remember too - as NCAA CEO, Emmert's the guy who brokered the deal to let Penn St escape the Death Penalty for the Jerry Sandusky scandal. But, let CU off for "trace amounts" of OSTERINE?? Nope - sorry.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Case Against the NCAA/Emmert - Part2

May 26, 2019, 7:30 AM

That cat Emmert is a BAD MUTHA, “shut your mouth”...you’re talkin bout THE MAN....

....we got the......”SHAFT”!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow! Thanks for the info

May 20, 2020, 6:30 AM

Hopefully it's time for his "7 year itch" and move on from the NCAA. Just gotta be careful and not get a bigger crook. And they're out there, just look at the politics of America (both sides).
??
Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Not surprised.

May 26, 2019, 9:04 AM

At all.

It's the way most things are done these days.

Yep - Emmert is the face ....

May 26, 2019, 9:06 AM

..... of the NCAA. !! -:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 26, 2019, 9:18 AM

Just stop. Please.

Climate change should not be a political issue...and I say this as a Republican. That's getting in bed with the oil lobby - who are the root cause of this climate-change denial that's rampant these days - and the Republican party really, really needs to get rid of that element or it's going to come back to haunt the party...and the world, for that matter. When ice sheets are falling off glacials in megaton lots and the sea level starts rising and superstorms start racking the oceans, it's going to be pretty durn hard to keep insisting there's no such thing as climate change. But by then we're well and truly effed, too.

I've got a couple of friends down in Charleston, one who works for Fish & Game, the other for the EPA. The Fish & Game guy pretty much figured out how to game life - what he mostly wants to do is hang out on his boat and drink beer the rest of his life, and he figured out how to monetize that by doing lab work on the side (mostly water and fish samples)...and he's scared. And this is an arch-Republican trust-fund kid with a very rich dad who builds condos all over the Southeast, not exactly a tree-hugger. He pretty much lives for shrimp season - this dude ruined me for any shrimp not taken right out of the cooler it was stored in mere hours after being caught - and he's worried there may not be any shrimp to catch in ten years.

There's some big-time salinity problems right now in the coastal harbors, for instance, and they're apparently seeing a lot of die-offs of marine species and a lot of freshwater micro-flora popping up in the harbors that shouldn't be there...the cause seems to be runoff from the massive amount of rainfall we've had over the past couple years, which is effecting the biome of our coastal areas because the pH and salination levels are way off. (That's part of what's causing that massive "Red Tide" that's wrecking tourism and fishing in Florida now, for instance.) the other part is They're also seeing a massive increase of PCB-based pesticide levels in the tissues of certain marine species...which is bad, because apparently these PCB toxins are cumulative and tend to get passed not just to the species that absorbs them but all the species that then eat them. So you're seeing porpoises, dolphins, and even killer whales with massive buildup in chemical pesticides in their soft tissues.

Stuff is happening, out in the world. And we need to deal.

This isn't political, but it's being politicized. We're using a lot of stuff these days that has side effects...which has been the same throughout time, actually. Autopsies done on Roman cadavers, for instance, showed that the Romans tended to die around 55-60, max, and a big cause of that was the fact that the Romans used pottery with huge amounts of lead in it...they were literally killing themselves off slowly with lead poisoning. They just didn't know better.

Obviously the cure was pretty simple - stop using clay with lead in it. The problem today is, the pottery industry would nowadays start a massive PR campaign - complete with fake science and plenty of so-called "experts" they could trot out and quote - to deny there was any such thing as lead poisoning. And in the meantime they'd keep right on killing their customers left and right. (Doubt it? Google "Monsanto" or "Jeffrey Wigand and Big Tobacco" if you care to do any actual reading.)

We gotta knock that kinda stuff off. I'm personally inclined to think that while science is not always right, they know a lot more about their subject matter than lobbyists do, and we have to stop this knee-jerk reaction against "liberal science" before we literally get buried under a tidal wave of glacier meltoff and PCB's and floating plastic.

I'm not talking about hugging a tree. I could care less about Mother Nature, Karma, chi, the Cycle of Life, Gaia the Earth-Mother, or any of that far-leftist crap that makes the eyes glaze. I am talking about not dying...sorry, which I do care about. And this Flat Earth nonsense is gonna get us all killed.

May 26, 2019, 9:26 AM

We have 12 years left on earth. Make your bucket list and get to work. Wonder how many championships the Tigers will win by then?

Re: 12 years left

May 26, 2019, 3:56 PM

Just think: if we win the last one (January of 2031), we will go down in history as the current CFP champs.

For all time!

Well said

May 26, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: The Case Against the NCAA/Emmert - Part2 ]

WWIII might fix most of the issues if population is cut in half. I don't think it's that far off some days.

I do have a PhD in engineering. It's troubling how we elect dumb people to solve our problems. Math and science will keep getting watered down because they are hard and most of our society is soft.

Go Tigers

I have said for several years, it is impossible for anyone,

May 26, 2019, 7:32 PM

who would actually be a good president, to get elected. Just look at what we had to chose from in 2016. Could there have been two worse candidates than Hillary and Trump?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have said for several years, it is impossible for anyone,

May 27, 2019, 12:29 AM

Ocasio Cortez & Deblowsio???

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep - Definitely trending...,,

May 27, 2019, 12:35 AM

.... down !!

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Just stop. Please

May 27, 2019, 4:07 AM [ in reply to Re: The Case Against the NCAA/Emmert - Part2 ]

You start off on climate change and then you switch to a lot of things that have absolutely zero to do with climate change. The oil industry is not causing any of your problems in estuaries. Tell your neighbors down at the coast to stop dumping tons of fertilizer on their yards. At least you did point out the run off, so now I can explain that fertilizer does not just grow grass. It also grows phytoplankton and algae.

If you want to place blame let's at least put it where it belongs. The oil industry has a degree of guilt, but not for what you decided to run off about. We need to stop pointing to everybody else and accept that we are the problem or did the oil industry set your thermostat on 72? Most people never think about where power comes from. Take a wild guess. Most of it comes from fossil fuels. I like road trips too, but at least I understand that I playing my part in this country's Bigfoot carbon footprint.

As for PCB's and micro-flora, the oil industry has no more guilt than you and I. Does the oil industry pay millions or more accurately billions in lobbying? Of course, but so does every other industry that stands to make money. Whatever industry you are in is almost assuredly the same way. Your friend's shrimp will have the commercial fishing industry lobbying that there is no problem. Across the aisle somebody is going to be making a lot of money arguing that it is.

How much money do you think is spent on the climate change lobby? Yes it does have a lobby, and I will clue you in and it's billions as well. AOC and the climate change band wagon were recently clamoring on about the droughts caused by global warming. That is 100 percent disinformation put out be the climate change lobby. Use some common sense. Warmer air has the potential to hold more water vapor and though most of the water from glaciers and icecaps ends up in the oceans, part of it ends up in the atmosphere as well. Unfortunately, lobbyists have jobs because too many people do not have the attention span to remember what they learned more than 5 minutes ago, much less yesterday and certainly not last year.

Therefore, we end up with deserts are hot. Deserts are dry. So global warming causes droughts. Then if I were to bring up that rain forests are hot as well, they would change the subject to deforestation. Let's try to accept the fact that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Just because one side does not point out the faults in their arguments, does not mean that they do not understand them. So I ask you, next time that you decide to insert politics, that someone may feel the need to rebut, into a sports discussion.

Please. Just stop.

May 27, 2019, 7:56 AM

So what I heard from this thread is Mark Emmert took money under the table and caused Climate Change? Absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,714
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic