Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Props to ABC Announcers....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Props to ABC Announcers....

Nov 4, 2018, 7:36 PM

In case you missed it, this was the narrative at the opening of the broadcast for our game presented by Mark Fields:

"We are here at DEATH VALLEY Clemson South Carolina, the ORIGINAL Death Valley, authentic, genuine, and pure. It's name derived from the location of the Clemson University cemetery, upon a hill that once overlooked this PRISTINE football field. In 1889 Clemson started as an all male military school, becoming a university in 1962 when women were allowed. This place, folks, is a bastion of football tradition and culture. And you'll see one of the best traditions in college football in just a minute. They will come down the hill for the 400th time."

Wow! It's an equal impact reading these words as hearing them with the beautiful Clemson scenery in the background.

(Excuse me, its Mark Jones, not Mark Fields. When you get old, your fingers don't always type what you are thinking!)

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you wouldn't believe how much hate these guys

Nov 4, 2018, 7:38 PM

Got on the tiger boards on Saturday. we never saw an announcer we liked on TNET

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great, except the line about the name derived from cemetary

Nov 4, 2018, 7:41 PM

is incorrect! It came from an opponent's coach(maybe Furman), who after getting stomped several times at Clemson, referred to it as having to play in "Death Valley", and Frank Howard picked up on it. I think this was in the 1940's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had always heard it was a coach from Presbyterian.***

Nov 4, 2018, 7:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, PC.***

Nov 4, 2018, 7:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

^^^Yes it came from Presbyterian College Coach

Nov 4, 2018, 7:52 PM

Bc they always got slaughtered in the valley.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe you are correct!!***

Nov 4, 2018, 8:42 PM [ in reply to I had always heard it was a coach from Presbyterian.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes that is my understanding...

Nov 4, 2018, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Great, except the line about the name derived from cemetary ]

...but I really liked, "the ORIGINAL Death Valley".

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

Re: Yes that is my understanding...

Nov 4, 2018, 8:58 PM

Yeah "Original Death Valley" was a good one. Except the folks in California ain't gonna like it.

They also talked about how Clemson didn't recruit ETN until December of his "junior" year of high school (instead of senior year).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm reading that in a Jim Nantz voice

Nov 4, 2018, 7:42 PM

with The Masters music in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpwHBn6ikg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

? PeeHead Walker from Presby College it was

Nov 4, 2018, 7:48 PM

i believe.

Oops, make that PeaHead!

TIA.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ? PeeHead Walker from Presby College it was

Nov 4, 2018, 7:52 PM

Coach Lonnie McMillian, Presbyterian Blue Hose, circa 1945 after a 76-0 shellacking. Beat downs in Death Valley are just one of our many cherished traditions.

Nov 4, 2018, 8:23 PM

A fellow PC alum?

Bob Petrino can relate.

Nov 4, 2018, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: ? PeeHead Walker from Presby College it was ]

After this year or next, Bob might be on his way to take over that PC head coaching gig.

~JKB

He'd be lucky to get it***

Nov 5, 2018, 8:40 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 4, 2018, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: ? PeeHead Walker from Presby College it was ]

This ***

Nov 4, 2018, 8:42 PM [ in reply to ? PeeHead Walker from Presby College it was ]

PeaHead Walker was a coach at Wake Forest many years ago.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was great. And then they did that thing where they

Nov 4, 2018, 7:54 PM

tried to demonstrate how to "get skinny". Very awkward.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: That was great. And then they did that thing where they

Nov 5, 2018, 8:55 AM

Dvorocek and Jones have done that "show and tell" schtick before. It's ALWAYS awkward.

Yes, that scripted opening piece was nice, but Jones was dreadful with his PBP on Saturday.

Incorrect for announcers to say it became a University in

Nov 4, 2018, 8:51 PM

1962 when women were first allowed to attend. Women were admitted in 1960 when I started to Clemson and I think they were admitted 2-4 years prior to that. There were about 80 co-eds in 1964 including Miss South Carolina Universe. My Clemson ring says Clemson College and my degree in 1964 says Clemson University. So I would say the change to Clemson University probably occurred in late 1963 after rings were ordered or early 1964 before diplomas were printed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Incorrect for announcers to say it became a University in

Nov 5, 2018, 8:46 AM

Per the official Clemson website, it became civilian and co-Ed in 1955, and a university in 1964.

Re: Incorrect for announcers to say it became a University in

Nov 5, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Incorrect for announcers to say it became a University in ]

Yeah, I was thinking that women were enrolling in 1955 once it became civilian. Maybe it was not degree-seeking or some technical item but even that seems odd.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic