Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Targeting...my problem with it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Targeting...my problem with it

Sep 30, 2018, 10:07 AM

How can targeting NOT be intentional? I can't hit the broad side of a barn, nor an animal a hundred yards away without intent.

Tackling is intent. A lot of intentional tackles aren't 'intended' as targeting...aka: head-hunting, launching, spearing...what have you. The intent is to tackle...not hurt a player. Still, players are injured by tackles...for myriad reasons...many uncontrollable.

Perhaps change the name...to what, I have no idea. But, with the speed of the game, 'targeting' seems either too broadly applied as a term, or is the wrong one to use, period.

I'm on the side of those who don't think TL was 'targeted'. The 'Cuse player couldn't go much lower and when he dropped, TL wasn't falling into him head first. Still, folks will see what they choose to see and bash 'Cuse for being dirty. It's not my place to change anyone's mind...it won't affect my day one way or the other. But, put the 'Cuse player in a 'Paw' and ask yourself if it would have been targeting.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pains me to say it, but a page needs to be taken from Soccer

Sep 30, 2018, 10:10 AM

rules, having a yellow and red card system for targeting(and possibly other personal fouls). I know they already do it with unsportsmanlike penalties.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I thought the head to head hit on Lawrence after he threw

Sep 30, 2018, 10:16 AM

a pass was dirty. The play that knocked him out was dirty, but still football. Clearly TL was down already and he went after his head not his body after TL was down. Targeting, no, going after the QB to knock him out of the game, yes. That's what Sarahcuse does, they go after QBs to knock them out of the game. It's taught, it's coached, that's why it happens so much with them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought the head to head hit on Lawrence after he threw

Sep 30, 2018, 10:35 AM

apparently you just see what you want to see.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Targeting...my problem with it

Sep 30, 2018, 11:13 AM

Like all calls it’s too inconsistent.

If you watched the OSU penn st game last night there was exactly the same scenario...QB scrambling and was going down when he got hit with a shoulder to the head...it was called targeting, where with TL it wasn’t.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 11:30 AM

Exactly, it just depends on the crew. It varies quite a bit between conferences.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Intent is not part of the rule.***

Sep 30, 2018, 11:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Intent is not part of the rule.***

Sep 30, 2018, 11:32 AM

It's not, but should be. "Targeting" by definition requires wilful action. Much of what is flagged as "Targeting" was actually "missing."

Sep 30, 2018, 11:47 AM

The problem I have with the penalty is that it is not consistently applied. Its left up to the officials to determine. Just last week when our player (don't remember his name now) was ejected for targeting it was questionable in my opinion. Later that night during the FL-TN game there was a targeting call on a hit much more vicious that was overturned. The penalty for targeting is too harsh for it to be so subjective to the officials decision. Maybe they need to change it, or make two levels of targeting. Maybe "intent" should be a deciding factor. If the helmet to helmet is not vicious make it 15 yards. If the player lowers his head and launches at the defenseless player then make that ejection. I don't know, it just seems to be so inconsistent the way it is now. And I do agree that the hits are dangerous and those types of hits need to be eliminated I just don't think the rule has they have it is the answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 11:52 AM

It’s just my opinion that the Syracuse player put his shoulder into TLs head intentionally with the idea to take TL out. I can’t really substantiate that belief (aside from Trevor falling forward and being unable to protect himself) and I’m not even saying the refs should have called it.

One problem with targeting (besides consistency) is how the talking heads always talk up how the booth can call down for a targeting review, but I almost never see that happen. Why is it even an option if they never use it? I’ve seen plenty of targeting calls on replay that field refs missed and the booth had time to call it in but they chose not to.

Enforcement needs to improve, as well as consistently enforcing the standards of targeting.

Sep 30, 2018, 11:53 AM

The rule does little to prevent injury and give the referees even more power to affect the outcome of football games. I am sure that is great for their bovada acounts, but not great for the sport. If we really wanted to prevent injuries, we would stop armoring the players so that their body parts become weapons.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic