Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

TNET: USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated

Sep 20, 2018, 1:09 PM

USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated

More bulletin board material for Dabo Swinney and his Tigers. USA TODAY Sports' Dan Wolken is not impressed with the No. 3 Clemson football team through the ear Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated

Sep 20, 2018, 1:11 PM

we are always doubted but I guess these days anyone not named Bama is. Mind over matter and his opinion doesnt matter

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 5:16 PM

Just my opinion, and I am sure this is going rub some ppl wrong. But he might be correct,
At least right now. Easy easy for the Clemson faithful to get defensive and hot and bothered.
But in fact, Clemson might be getting respect from previous success.
With that said...
I expect Clemson to be in the mix at season's end. But I would not at this time wanna play
anyone else in the top 10.

Sep 21, 2018, 9:48 AM

I 100% agree!! We look like a top 10 team because of our D line but the play calling and overall execution is subpar from what EVERYONE thought itd be. I believe it turns around tremendously by yr end but its gonna 100% cause a #1 Bama vs #4 Clemson again in the PO which i really wanted to avoid. Id much rather a #2 GA vs #3 Clemson (or flip flopped) & get Bama in the natty for round 3. This day & age if you arent running up the score you arent living uo to the hype and its gonna hurt us badly. These are just my armchair coaching opinions

Sep 21, 2018, 5:27 PM

We always start slow because we play so many players. Now how bad should we beat a Furman or GS. Some of you don’t get it

Sep 21, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated ]

He's just another writer who doesn't understand the process at Clemson. You aren't going to blow teams out while playing so many freshmen and other 2nd and 3rd team players!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 1:12 PM

I believe Dan Wolken is overrated and should be unemployed

Sep 20, 2018, 1:17 PM

print newspaper? then he soon will be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: USA Today writer thinks Clemson is overrated ]

#### no, don't put him in the unemployment line, it's A$S holes like him that can give our Tigers an attitude of we'll show this dude how wrong he is!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it! Keep the bulletin board material coming***

Good!! hopefully this helps spark a fire.......

it'd be nice if the "rest of the media" started saying this giving this team a flame lit under them so they go out with "something to prove" and dominate like we know they can.

Hopefully the players are just as offended as some of the fans on here.............a lot of softies on this board.

LOL classic pheebo!***

Sep 20, 2018, 1:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: LOL classic pheebo!***

Sep 20, 2018, 7:58 PM

Hey old man. I missed you.

His conclusion may be flawed. It's like he only used the

Sep 20, 2018, 1:20 PM

box scores from the games to develop his thesis.

When you put some context around the box score like the number of players that received playing time during the first three games, and when they played during the game, I believe a different conclusion is more logical...

I know I'm biased, but I think it is a brilliant concept to develop younger players during games at the beginning of the season. As we've seen in the past from Dabo's teams, competent players on the two and three deep roster absolutely help us beat down opponents at the end of the season.

Go Tigers!

most agree with the concept, but not at the expense.......

Sep 20, 2018, 1:27 PM

of almost losing a game.

developing these players vs Furman, GSU,Wake, Duke, etc... is one thing, but of all the games to rotate all these players, @ TAMU wasn't one to mess around with (we almost found that out the hard way).......pretty much if @ Texas A&M was worthy enough to play/rotate players then we're pretty much rotating the rest of the season, if that's the case more nail biters may be on the way and if so hopefully we don't have a "pitt16 or cuse17" game.

Re: most agree with the concept, but not at the expense.......

Sep 20, 2018, 1:57 PM

Play calling in the 4th quarter is what made that game so close, not the players that were being played!!!

yes, i agree with that to an extent***

Sep 20, 2018, 2:02 PM

look, you can say all that crap if clemson lost

Sep 20, 2018, 2:16 PM

but they didn't.

what you consider foolish was excellent , on the field learning. ..in a meaningful game..in a hostile environment ..

that stuff pays dividends.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 20, 2018, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: most agree with the concept, but not at the expense....... ]

The other issue with that game that no one ever says a word about is that the A & M QB had one of those nights where he overthrew receivers only to have two other ones running the wrong route downfield in position to catch it. The one TD pass the announcers went Gaga over was a pass intended for his receiver in the flat that he overthrew so badly it made it to the end zone and was caught. The TD in the back of the end zone again was caught by the wrong receiver and only after being deflected into his hands by #12. The last one was an incompletion or should’ve been an int instead #12 tipped it into the receivers hands. When you consider the weather the environment and how every single lucky break went against the Tigers that win was impressive. Very few teams avoid the frustration and the whining that follows bad breaks and go on to win. Overrated? Yeah ok, let’s see come January. Go Tigers

Sep 20, 2018, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: most agree with the concept, but not at the expense....... ]

The other issue with that game that no one ever says a word about is that the A & M QB had one of those nights where he overthrew receivers only to have two other ones running the wrong route downfield in position to catch it. The one TD pass the announcers went Gaga over was a pass intended for his receiver in the flat that he overthrew so badly it made it to the end zone and was caught. The TD in the back of the end zone again was caught by the wrong receiver and only after being deflected into his hands by #12. The last one was an incompletion or should’ve been an int instead #12 tipped it into the receivers hands. When you consider the weather the environment and how every single lucky break went against the Tigers that win was impressive. Very few teams avoid the frustration and the whining that follows bad breaks and go on to win. Overrated? Yeah ok, let’s see come January. Go Tigers

Wrong!

Sep 20, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to His conclusion may be flawed. It's like he only used the ]

He said we had to keep our starters in in the 4th quarter ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrong!

Sep 20, 2018, 3:08 PM

Correctomundo!!! Dabo has been moving players across all units in and out every game from beginning to end. Anyone who says Clemson only had starters in the 4th quarter clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Re: Wrong!

Sep 20, 2018, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Wrong! ]

Right on, excuse my punctuation, BUT Seriously? Clemson kept the starters in in the 4th quarter huh? Ok what mutha &#<%ing game did this dbag watch?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His conclusion may be flawed. It's like he only used the

Sep 21, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to His conclusion may be flawed. It's like he only used the ]

This was perfectly stated!
laid-backtiger® Exactly!

I wish some more on TNET understood the value in this. Competition stomps out complacency in starters! If the guy behind you is chomping at your heels; you as a starter are less likely to take plays off. Less likely to miss practice for minor stuff. If you know your job can be taken; you will continue to improve your knowledge and body for the game's sake. Which if you have it at every position; makes the team better overall! Iron sharpening iron. . . teams who don't have the depth can often be fooled by their starters capabilities. Or those starters know the team needs them and that "they have a spot"..so maybe they don't push as hard to get better. Getting your two and three deep in the game only makes them better and helps them gain confidence. Which again, serves to make the competition bring out the best in players!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His conclusion may be flawed. It's like he only used the

Sep 21, 2018, 2:15 PM

As Dabo has said on many occasions, the freshmen by the end of the year games are no longer freshmen because of all the experience they have gained.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 1:23 PM

As usual the talking heads are not paying attention to what Dabo is building! #CUinjanuary

Sep 20, 2018, 3:42 PM

I remember hearing the same thing a couple of years ago right before they hung fiittie on the U.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 1:23 PM

I like how the writer said that Clemson had their starters in the 4th quarter. We also had the 2nd and 3rd string players playing in the first quarter. Maybe he should watch the game before making those kinds of statements.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really disagree...

Sep 20, 2018, 1:24 PM

...it's just too early to know who should be rated the highest.

Dabo is playing to win the season, not just blow teams out.

Clemson is building depth for the final run. Writers are just quacking for now.

Dan Wolken must read Tnet...

Sep 20, 2018, 1:24 PM

He sounds like a Tnetter

I can’t find much to disagree with

Sep 20, 2018, 1:25 PM

In that article. We have looked sluggish, uninspired and sometimes lethargic BUT the reason is clear....we are building a team for the long haul. I guess Mr. Wolken just doesn’t like the way we just win. We need to put it all together this Saturday or we will start hearing a cacophony of voices sing the same song. Go Tigers!

Re: I can’t find much to disagree with

Sep 20, 2018, 3:11 PM

"Start hearing"? These know nothings have been singing the same old broken record for decades.

Well, that’s a step up from being “A Fraud” I guess***

Sep 20, 2018, 1:26 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

official upset alert, beware Pawllll JOhnson

Seems like a pretty spot-on assessment to me.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOVE it !!! somebody buy that Bas#### a BBQ sammich

Sep 20, 2018, 1:48 PM

Keep it coming

null

Re: LOVE it !!! somebody buy that Bas#### a BBQ sammich

Sep 20, 2018, 2:06 PM

That would be a waste of good money and BBQ bc, Dabo won't change what he does bc of what an ink head has to say!!! I would love to see a team that Wolken coached play Furman. It would be the most points that Furman had ever scored in a game!!!

B/C we don' SMASH Opponents!

Sep 21, 2018, 1:13 PM

A direct reflection of our philosophy! No need to rub it in that we are better! And, I have to admit, "I don't really like it"! But, this coaching staff per all their colleagues across the country and me is one of the best staffs in college football. No need to doubt what they have going especially b/c they have been so successful in doing so. Also, these fast starts where teams are getting smashed early season has happened before seemingly to me on all levels of football. Only for that team or those teams "not to win a championship"!
It's truly not where you start but where you finish! It's still September USA Today person, gee-biz!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It;'s been talked about a lot here over the years . .

Sep 20, 2018, 2:11 PM

Being a "good guy" gets you nothing from the pundits. You must kick some royal azs if you have the ability. We don't do it,m but it's been done a lot this football season all over. He maybe doesn't know us as well as some . . but I know what he is talking about.

Sep 20, 2018, 2:17 PM

Ok.....let's think about this. Where did this guy ever play college football at? Oh...let me guess he coached someplace or maybe was a coach in the NFL. None of the above. He is just another frustrated nerd who is a " wannabe athlete "....commonly referred to as a " jock sniffer ". Championship football is not played in September. College football is a 12 - 15 week battle of attrition. The winner is the team that is still standing in the end. True test of perseverance. Coach Dabo and staff understand this. That is part of the equation that has led to his success. Please CU fans dont waist your time listening to these blowhard jock sniffers who are a waist of good air.

Why do we have to give a reason at all, for being overrated?

Sep 20, 2018, 2:22 PM

We'll just wait for the December ballots and take our chances --like said above,if yo' name ain't "BAMA" you are overated-uneducated-belated-inflated & confiscated***** -- plus all the other stuff I can't remember______________GO TIGERS !!!!

I know this is supposed to make me angry, but I get it.

Sep 20, 2018, 2:34 PM

I don't know if we are "overrated" but we do have questions that we need to answer.

I'm anxious to see us play another team with the same level of passing attack that TAMU put on us. Obviously, GT will not test us the same way TAMU did with the passing game, but GT will try to make fools out of our DB's.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know this is supposed to make me angry, but I get it.

Sep 20, 2018, 3:15 PM

Exactly. GT will "try". Clemson will accomplish it.

I'm anxious to see how aTm does against Bama. Hopefully they

Sep 20, 2018, 3:23 PM [ in reply to I know this is supposed to make me angry, but I get it. ]

show up like they did for us and give them a game.

Sep 20, 2018, 3:30 PM

"Then against Georgia Southern, really they should've been able to put away and the score was 24-7 in the fourth quarter."
- Clemson played 33 on offense, 30 on defense. Some of our 3rd team D-Linemen got almost as many snaps as the starters.

"It just doesn't look like it's quite clicked yet. Clemson is very good."
- This is the key. It hasn't clicked. It will. Clemson is simply too good to not figure it out. And when we do, watch out. There are only two teams that I think could hang with us right now, Bama and Georgia.

I wonder if Bama is going to be overrated if they struggle with A&M this weekend. Can't wait to find out!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 6:11 PM

Bama will blow A&M out like Clemson should have because they know how to call a game on Offense. Saban would’ve fired Elliott and Scott after any 1 of our games this season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Thanks man. Needed someone to take the DAPOTD award.***

Sep 20, 2018, 8:09 PM

Sep 20, 2018, 3:44 PM

I remember hearing the same thing a couple of years ago right before they hung fiittie on the U.

Sep 20, 2018, 3:57 PM

Maybe it's Wolken's article that's overrated? Maybe he's a 'Bama or SEC lover? Who knows and who cares (besides him). I do back 100% what Dabo and his coaches are doing with the team and especially the younger players who are getting the real game experience they must have to be successful. These doubters come out of the closet every year. Let them. Wolken should be reminded of his article especially at the end of the season when we win the ACC championship and possibly another national title!! GO TIGERS!!

Sep 20, 2018, 3:59 PM

Keep it coming we need more of this. Dabos teams are better when they play with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Sep 21, 2018, 10:30 AM

I can’t argue with his assessment of the team. I don’t think they have played like the other teams at the top either but it’s a bit early to count the Tigers out. IF the Tigers don’t win convincingly in Atlanta, they likely will drop in the polls. GT will be no cakewalk. I bet Dabo and co. Is aware of that!

who cares?***

Sep 20, 2018, 4:00 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Later on....

Sep 20, 2018, 5:15 PM

playing all of these players will pay off. Did we have a drop off when Shaq Lawson went down...nope.

Playing all of these players gives the players and the coaches real game experience in which to grade film and help them improve on the field.

I agree that the secondary needs work but for what ever reason that's been the case for the last three season.....in which we made the playoffs all three....Oh and won a Natty.

95% of the college teams fan base would give anything to have Dabo as their coach. Trust him...I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing .

Sep 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

I think "overrated" is the wrong word when describing this team. I may go so far as to say the team has been inconsistant so far in this young season but that's about it. Playing a ton of guys, vets and freshmen alike, will tend to do that. I will agree with one thing though, opponents 3rd down conversion rate has to be a priority along with better discipline from the secondary. The offense is just fine and I have no doubt that the Tigers are only going to get better, and better, and better as the season goes on. We'll be there in the end and this article only helps to motivate.

Couldn't have said it better myself***

Sep 20, 2018, 6:14 PM

Sep 20, 2018, 8:15 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with what he said. The defense is good in spurts, the offense had yet to find a sustained rhythm in a game, and special teams are too often not very special. Personally, I think we need to let KB be the QB and let Trevor come in for mop up duty. But. They don't pay me the big bucks for my thoughts. Go Tigers.

I think USA Today is overrated.

Sep 20, 2018, 8:56 PM

And Dan Wolken is way way overrated.

Re: I think USA Today is overrated.

Sep 20, 2018, 9:54 PM

Just win baby !!!! Go Tigers

Dan doesn’t math very well

Sep 20, 2018, 9:42 PM

Sep 21, 2018, 12:37 PM

IDIOT!

Sep 21, 2018, 2:09 PM

Got to admit... we haven’t looked that great

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Sep 21, 2018, 4:46 PM

Our offensive line must continue to improve to give the QB'S time to throw as well as giving the backs some
holes ! The WR'S are
off the charts!

What's USA Today?

Sep 21, 2018, 5:21 PM

I think they are overrated.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 5:38 PM

There is one way to cure that baloney... Half of a Cumberland College takedown would have the SECpn crowd calling us BULLIES for beating down a "respected" coach...

Sep 24, 2018, 4:16 PM

Why worry about this guy? He's a bandwagon picker in any case.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic