Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson ranked No. 1 in ESPN's Way-too-Early Top 25
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson ranked No. 1 in ESPN's Way-too-Early Top 25

Jan 17, 2018, 9:23 AM

Clemson ranked No. 1 in ESPN's Way-too-Early Top 25

Is Clemson the favorite to hoist the next National Championship? ESPN released its Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings for 2018 on Wednesday morning and Clemson was r Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson ranked No. 1 in ESPN's Way-too-Early Top 25

Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 AM

Too early for this prediction, but they're thinking is right. I like our chances for another CFP run.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 9:55 AM

I had often wondered what it would have been like if Lawson and Dodd returned after the 2016 season. Now we get a picture of an even better group returning. It's gonna be fun.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Jan 17, 2018, 12:15 PM

It's just like ESPN to try to hex us by predicting us as #1. We'll show them by Actually Being #1.

It doesn't matter who on the DL returned.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:01 AM

That group was going to be very good no matter what. Now they are elite and possibly historic. However, this season will only go as far as the offense and the QB allow it. I hope KB either improves dramatically or HJ/TL/CB/ZC win the job in the spring.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: It doesn't matter who on the DL returned.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:07 AM

Well said. The Offense needs to get back to being balanced with a better aerial attack

Re: It doesn't matter who on the DL returned.

Jan 17, 2018, 10:39 AM

I agree 100%.

Yep. You are only as strong as your weakest link.***

Jan 17, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter who on the DL returned. ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also...

Jan 17, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter who on the DL returned. ]

I was hoping for some sort of shake-up with the offensive coaching staff. The play calling at times was very ineffective. Against Bama it was downright humiliating. As much as I want to be "all-in" with all of our coaches, I have to wonder at how no serious programs have come calling for our co-OCs, while Bama seemingly moves coordinators to Power 5 HC jobs on an annual basis.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Also...

Jan 17, 2018, 12:04 PM

was it bad play calling or bad play on the line? Or, even, was it simply we had no faith in long ball personnel? Saw a lot the dropping of many catchable balls throughout the season. Saw a failure to block for the QB throughout the season... was it the people on the fields or on the sidelines?

They're not mutually exclusive

Jan 17, 2018, 12:30 PM

Our offensive problems were a combination of those two symptoms. It's not like we recruit guys that can't learn how to block or catch. But coaching (and playcalling) hurt us.

Look to Right Tackle and how bad both of them were all season. Look to ETN, who was a game breaker when he had the ball, but when asked to pass protect couldn't block anybody. Look to KB who repeatedly failed to recognize what the defense was doing and adjust. That's coaching. Obviously there's some skill there too. Sometimes you just get beat.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom. I'm pleased we made the CFP last year. But if we're being honest in our self-reflection, I think it's fair to say the Co-OCs need to put a better product on the field or Dabo needs to consider a change.

Re: They're not mutually exclusive

Jan 17, 2018, 1:43 PM

I personally thikn you're being a bit too hard on them. Their track record has been very good over the past few years. Yes, they had a lot of talent to work with, but they still produced big numbers, 3 CFP appearances, 3 ACC titles, 2 NC games, and 1 NC win. Very few teams have top 10 offenses each and every year, and even Bama has had years where their offense didn't exactly produce huge numbers.

Regardless of talent, there aren't many teams that could lose the best QB in the country in Watson, possibly the best receiver in the country in Williams, possibly the best TE in the country in Leggett, in addition to a running back like Gallman, and a receiver like Scott, and not see a huge drop in production.

I'm also not sure what else the OC's could have done in the game against Bama. It's hard to call plays when the other team is living in your back field all night long. You're up against an elite defense who is daring you to throw the ball, your QB isn't known for being the best at passing in tight windows, your QB doesn't have much time to throw, and your best running back is a true freshman who struggles in pass blocking just as many freshman running backs do.

That game was bad, but I don't see it as a sign of our program needing to make coaching changes.

Jan 17, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Also... ]

You do realize our co-Ocs were offered at other schools. And just because a lot of contacts don’t make the media doesn’t mean people don’t put feelers out and get shut down. Don’t sound like a Scar fan

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 17, 2018, 12:34 PM

Elliott was considered for UCF and Scott was considered for South Alabama. Those are not serious power 5 jobs. I don't think we need to debate that topic as it's obvious they just weren't in the pool of desirable HCs.

I didn't realize I was sounding like a SCAR fan. I felt my post was thoughtful and had merit.

Jan 17, 2018, 1:48 PM

Those aren't bad coaching options for two young coaches who have only been coordinators for 3 full seasons. Elliott was also named as the national coordinator of the year. Scott can recruit his butt off, and has been the coach of a position that is now called WRU due to the success there. Sure, he's had a lot of talent to work with, but A) He's recruited a lot of that talent here, and B) You can't just discredit his coaching there.

I know you're specifically talking about the playcalling here, but they've produced big offensive numbers during their time as well. They are both young and upcoming coaches, and the coaching offers for them will only increase going forward.

Jan 17, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Also... ]

Did you just throw the coot flag?

LOL, yea I just hate it when Clemson has been to 3

Jan 17, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Also... ]

Championship playoffs with these coaches who don’t know anything about what they are doing. Are you serious and undoubtedly don’t keep up with anything concerning the OCs. WOW!

Agree the playcalling was atrocious during Bama game - awful

Jan 17, 2018, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Also... ]

Played right into Bama, and Elliot, said "everybody was to blame", surprised, I have never heard him shirk his responsibility before, of course the O had not been that bad predictable before.

So, is Saban going to focus the entire off season on

Jan 17, 2018, 11:01 AM

playing Clemson because the company that owns his conference picked an outsider #1?????

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, is Saban going to focus the entire off season on

Jan 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

That’s the first thing that popped into my mind. That types of utter “disrespect” just gave him enough ammunition to propel his team through the 2018!season destroying everything in their path.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another useless ESPN poll

Jan 17, 2018, 11:08 AM

7-6 West Virginia @ #10
11-2 Penn State @ #11

Raise your hand if you're drinking that Kool-Aid.

Nooooooo......

Jan 17, 2018, 2:48 PM

I would rather the team have to climb up in the polls...it gives a chip on the shoulder mentality. Being number one has a tendency to lull teams to sleep until that 1st loss

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic