Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TL needs to improve
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,118

TL needs to improve

Mar 19, 2019, 2:03 PM

According to another poster, but this is obvious to us all as he was only rated a 0.9999 and not a 1.000 sheesh hopefully by now our coaches have gotten him at least .0001 better if they're worth their dime.

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Lawrence-61350/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL needs to improve

Mar 19, 2019, 2:11 PM

I can't see how he can improve. If the receivers get better, the OL holds up and the running can continue to be a threat he can put up ridiculous numbers. But as a player at the QB position he can't do his job much better. He is blessed with a gift. Glad Clemson has his services.

Mar 19, 2019, 2:53 PM

Truth be told, anyone can improve, even TL. He did great his first year, but I'm sure there are various points he could improve to be even better...

1) Learning how to put a bit of touch on a ball instead of throwing all throws like a cannon. This came up quite a bit early and mid season last year when he'd put a bit too much velocity on shorter throws and the ball would either get to the spot early or it'd hit off the receivers hands because how fast it came in. A few of those even happened with sure-hands Renfrow.

2) Getting better at blitz reads (for less sacks/run reads)....granted last year, the O-Line held up for him, but he did have a few times last year he got sacked because he wasn't watching for the blitz as well as a seasoned QB usually does or he read things wrong and ended up sacked when he started a run and was met immediately or he ran into the back of an offensive lineman. This will definitely improve YOY, especially facing BV's defenses in practice daily.

3) Continuing to get better with his accuracy. Sometimes his throws with the velocity he had on it sailed a bit high (a few in the NC game even did). I personally think some of that came from having to share time with KB, and not being as familiar with some of the receivers by limited time practicing with the 1's. As last season went on, you could see how that started getting better, but at times, he still had slight issues (especially in seeing a WR getting caught up with a DB and being held a bit back in his route where he should throw it a tad bit behind where he normally would have). Continuing to practice with the WR's and getting more time to learn them and their tendencies will improve that alone.

Mar 19, 2019, 3:35 PM

His touch was fantastic after a few starts so that's only an argument through the first few games I would say. He didn't get sacked in the final game because of picking up blitzes and quick release seen great through the first deep TD to Ross and the final TD to Higgens. Deep balls you want to be too deep if you're gonna miss so I wouldn't exactly say it was "bad" or "needed work" but I do think that with even the realization of how good he really is and how hard it is to pick at his game he's going to get even better somehow and show us all how much he needed to work on his game.

Mar 19, 2019, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TL needs to improve ]

TL himself identified 3 areas he wants to work on this offseason:

1. Footwork
2. Keeping his elbow up on every throw
3. Furthering his knowledge of the offense

He obviously is already elite at all aspects of passing, including footwork. But he can and will continue to improve until he’s done playing football in about 25 years.

Mar 19, 2019, 6:53 PM

TBH in the 4th quarter he sometime loses an edge to his coiffed hair. To say he has bad footwork is joke, right ?

Mar 19, 2019, 10:12 PM

One thing I'd be interested to see if he works on, is the positioning of the ball.

Currently, as he drops back to pass, he holds the ball by the numbers on his chest. This means there's a slight loop in his throwing action. It looks cool, but does waste a fraction of a second when throwing. If he could carry the ball under his chin, then the ball could stay on the same plain throughout the throing motion.

This would mean a slightly quicker release, which given that he already is quicker than the average NFL QB, would be incredible; and another step to becoming one of the best QBs of all-time.

Mar 20, 2019, 7:40 AM

Didn't I read somewhere that TL had the second fastest release in college football last year?

He needs to work on his a leaping over players.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:00 PM

That's what wins QBs Heisman's.

Apparently.

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,118
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic