Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Steve Smith Conundrum
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 3,362

Steve Smith Conundrum

Apr 27, 2019, 9:08 AM

Smith created a no win situation for himself. He will face the fate of being fired, but if he is retained he will never be embraced by the fans or coaches of the other athletic programs at Clemson. My guess is that he will be released once his contract expires on April 30th. No matter what, the best situation for everyone is that he no longer remain at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Steve Smith Conundrum

Apr 27, 2019, 9:26 AM

I don't think Steve Smith is a bad guy. I do think he got into a situation he didn't understand and did some things to try and get Clemson a truly once in a lifetime player. Unfortunately bad guy or not you can't keep him. For one he has broken the trust of Brownell. Now I don't know about y'all but once trust is broken that's pretty much it. I don't know how Brownell can send him off to recruit by himself now. He truly is a cautionary story of you never know so always do the right thing and cutting corners usually puts you farther back. I hate it for Steve Smith and his family and I hold almost all the blame on Zion and the shoe company. I'd say Zion and the shoe company own about 95% of the blame and Smith 5%. The way I understand it this whole thing reeked of an entrapment scandal on top of it all. Trying to persuade coaches to come and partake in the conversation of illegal benefits.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 11:13 AM

I would say he understood he was cheating when he discussed the possibility of making payments to Zion.
He cannot dissociate himself from Clemson too soon for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 11:27 AM

He was cheating with the illegal contact.

He was considering more cheating with potentially looking for money.

He lost the trust of his boss with the above and his efforts to hide it.

He lost the trust of the fans when he did all of the above and topped it off with insinuating that football did the same with no real evidence.

Honestly with what I've seen it reinforces the idea that we don't cheat. If football had an open check book for kids then basketball would too. Obviously basketball didn't because he over compensated when trying to hide the illegal contact from Brad. If Brad was to ever get a green light to buy a player it would have been Zion. An all time elite kid 30 minutes down the road. But he didn't.

He's a liar. He even lied to his boss. He said he had to

Apr 27, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Steve Smith Conundrum ]

pretend to not know the way to Zion's house when taking Brownell there for the first time. Get caught telling a lying to your boss and your days are numbered on the job, any job.

Is there a conundrum? He should be gone anyways, but

Apr 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

Even saying the word football? He won’t be welcome in any restaurant business or otherwise. Not only would I be lying low, I’d be lying low somewhere other than Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there a conundrum? He should be gone anyways, but

Apr 27, 2019, 11:01 AM

Yep. The minute he threw the football program under the bus he messed up big time. He gone.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any chance we will clean house now? (basketball)***

Apr 27, 2019, 10:09 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it depends on what comes of the investigation.

Apr 27, 2019, 2:13 PM

If Smith acted alone, and no one else in our basketball program or administration new about it, then only Smith will be fired and everyone else will be safe.

If Smith did not act alone, and many within the program knew about it and were involved, then we will see widespread dismissals and an overhaul of the program.

I am glad Clemson is being prudent and getting more information before making knee-jerk decisions like many people here want to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 27, 2019, 11:08 AM

Thats an absolute!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To say the least***

Apr 27, 2019, 11:16 AM

Replies: 10
| visibility 3,362
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic