Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So What's Next?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

So What's Next?

Apr 2, 2015, 9:33 AM

I am new to Tigernet but a solid follower of Clemson and college baseball in general. I have read numerous posts and suggestions that JL should either retire or be fired by DRad at the end of the season.

There is no question that this season is very bad and seems headed to probably get worse by the end. If JL was on the hot seat after last year and had talks about his future....how could he possibly survive a year like this? Esp if they miss ACC tournament.

So assuming that he is not HC for 2016....who will/should be???

Of course everyone immediately says call Corbin. While I think that would certainly happen....I don't see anyway he would come back to CU. First he is loyal to JL and secondly he has such a prime spot at Vandy. He can recruit who ever he wants, has seemingly unlimited scholarship $$ to work with, and gets whatever he wants as far as facilities. Plus being a private school who doesn't report coaches salaries, I have to believe that he is well paid and probably more than what CU pays or could him.

I think he takes call, politely and graciously says no thank you.

So then reasonable thoughts would suggest, why not call Sully at Florida? That seems to be a mix bag on here. Some say yes and some say no he was over-rated to begin with. Either way I think if he is contacted he does the same as Corbin. Takes call and says no thank you. He is middle of prime recruiting grounds, makes good money, and would have no reason to come back and try to right a ship when his is sailing just fine.

So what next?? Does DRad go for an up and comer HC at a smaller school?? Does he look at high profile top assistants and recruiting guys with no HC experience??? Or does he look at option 3?

What about Pawlowski? He is a Clemson grad, played in big leagues, coached at Clemson, and has had very solid experience as both a mid-major HC and at a Power 5 school.

Some will point to his tenure at Auburn as a failure....but he actually did very well there considering their resources and situation. He went to SEC tournament every year, posted winning seasons, and hosted a Regional. He was the casulty of an AD who has made and continues to make bone headed decisions. But the body of work as a HC is there.

My take is that while he may be the JL tree, he has left and been away for so long doing his own thing, that it wouldn't be JL part 2. A hire like that would certainly please the older die hard Clemson folks because of his ties as a player and coach during the hey-day. But he also brings new life, energy, and direction to the struggling program. It would be the best of both worlds and apease most of the fan base in my opinion.

He has proven HC experience that a high profile Assistant will not have...and having already been successful at a mid-major and Power 5 job, would be more attractive than a current mid-level HC.

Some will say but he got fired at Auburn??? Yes but who says that wasn't a good learning experience for him and that he took away really good things on how to do it differently??

He is a TOP FLIGHT pitching coach, has ties to the state of SC for recruiting, and is a guy who loves and would be immediately vested in Clemson.

I may be wrong....he may have serious loyalty to JL and would not come back but I would think he would have to be next in line after Corbin and Sully.

If not him you are looking at a group like Monte Lee at CofC, Jim Toman at Liberty, Kevin McMullen Asst at UVA, or possibly some other random outside hire.

Just my thoughts...others??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So What's Next?

Apr 2, 2015, 9:38 AM

I truly don't understand these "loyalty" arguments. I love my boss, but if I'm offered a better position that makes sense I'm going to take it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 2, 2015, 10:16 AM

funny, listening to roy pisspot yesterday he said our baseball job was a top 5 job in the country. then when people called him on it he started cussing and ranting saying he knew what he was talking about and others did not. i realize he is a devout tiger fan but many times he lets being a fan get in the way and lets that mouth overload that behind when it comes to logic. no one is giving up a hc job at vandy or florida to come rebuild a program here. this program has sunk to new lows and will be a total rebuild job. gilmore from coastal, lee from c of c, would be two instate candidates. i am sure there will be interest from from a lot of coaches from other schools, but we are not getting a coach from a top 5 program in the country. we will not pay top 5 money, and right now are no where near a top 5 program in baseball. our facilities are not top 5( i know they are getting better) but should have been kept up and improved long ago. drad will have a tough job picking a new coach, but this will HAVE to be someone willing to rebuild and not a quick fix.

Apr 2, 2015, 10:29 AM

I agree with everything you said...it is NOT a TOP 5 job right now but is a very good job. Maybe in Top 25 overall.

There is no way Gilmore comes to Clemson. He is due hard Coastal guy and just got a new stadium. Plus he is paid over $250k to work at his alma mater and place he holds dear. He's had chances to leave to Power 5 schools in past and didn't and that was before he made good $$ and had stadium there at Coastal.

Maybe Lee would leave but he just got nice raise and has his program going strong...plus CofC is his alma mater.

There will be interest but my point was would Pawlowski not hit on 99% of the things that would make folks happy??

Plus he would fit the $$ CU wants to offer....

I'm in need of a

Apr 2, 2015, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: So What's Next? ]

butler, when can you start?

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Apr 2, 2015, 10:21 AM

What's next is write shorter posts, seriously. Most on here won't spend the time to read all that. I didn't. Just a tip, don't be offended. And welcome to the single greatest message bored in the history of message boreds. A TU for being the new guy.

Apr 2, 2015, 10:31 AM

Sorry...just making my points. But suggestion taken and understood

Apr 2, 2015, 10:25 AM

I would even say take a look at Matthew LeCroy. He played at CU, played on Team USA, played in the MLB for several years. He has been a A and AA head coach for the Washington Nationals and was very successful. He is now the bullpen coach for the MLB Nationals. He may not leave the MLB, but he deserves a call. Still lives locally in the off-season and bleeds orange!

Message was edited by: laysman33®

2024 certified_seller level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic