Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Maryland rehired their coach just so they could
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

So Maryland rehired their coach just so they could

Nov 1, 2018, 6:04 AM

fire him again. I wonder if they rubbed his nose is shiz too?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25137549/maryland-terrapins-football-coach-dj-durkin-fired-one-day-reinstatement

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a PR disaster for UM! The President wanted to do the

Nov 1, 2018, 6:17 AM

right thing and fire him but the BOD forced him to retain the guy! What were they thinking? It seems UM needs a fresh new BOD.

Glad they're not in our conference anymore!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What a PR disaster for UM! The President wanted to do the

Nov 1, 2018, 6:43 AM

They must have some idiots on the board.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What a PR disaster for UM! The President wanted to do the

Nov 1, 2018, 8:15 AM [ in reply to What a PR disaster for UM! The President wanted to do the ]

And remember how Muschamp defended this guy. What an idiot.

I agree the BOT need to go as well.

The AD has a conscience. The University Board does not

Nov 1, 2018, 6:58 AM

And the AD had the courage to stand up to the board's spineless decision and fire the coach anyway. Good on him.

Re: The AD has a conscience. The University Board does not

Nov 1, 2018, 7:19 AM

For that article it sounds like it was the President that made the call to fire him.

I figured it was the internet hit squad that took him out

Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 AM

Seemed like they wanted to keep him but the reaction on Twitter was really bad so they pulled the plug before too much negative PR

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I figured it was the internet hit squad that took him out

Nov 1, 2018, 8:17 AM

The President has wanted him gone from the beginning. Loh announced his retirement for June 2019, so there is little the Board could do to punish him so he took it upon himself to fire Durkin. I don’t think the backlash had anything to do with it.

Re: So Maryland rehired their coach just so they could

Nov 1, 2018, 7:35 AM

I read another article last night (sorry, don't remember the site) that gave the impression they were just going to give him his job back and keep on going like they hadn't killed anyone, but the student body rallied enough to get the school's attention.

Nov 1, 2018, 7:52 AM

Quick, does anyone have the contract? I am sure there must be a clause about being fired in October vs December... and now Maryland loses even more money.

Remember when the Ralph was actually winning 9-11 games and ACC titles... (and then promptly eating them).

If there is a school that is lost with completely the opposite culture as Clemson right now... it is Maryland. not UT, not Cooterlina: Maryland. Completely lost its more compass and tradition. Soon to be the whipping-boy of Rutgers.

Nov 1, 2018, 7:53 AM

* November

yep- not that but betting it has something to do with his

Nov 1, 2018, 11:06 AM

contract- BOD probably didn't think the report gave them enough ammo to fire him without paying full amount so they sent him back to work only to be fired a few days later for possibly something they can use(not sure what but just a guess)

Nov 2, 2018, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: So Maryland rehired their coach just so they could ]

Maryland is definitely not in our league, in more ways than one. There were reports the UMd staff used food (or withheld food) as punishment. At the other end of the spectrum, Dabo World has both chefs and nutritionists on staff. We not only provide healthy meals for our players while they're in school, we give them guidance in selecting or preparing healthy foods before they get out on their own.

On a side note, the nutrition staff shared some interesting restrictions at the Ladies Clinic. For example, they can set out bagels for the players to snack on during the day, but they can't provide cream cheese or peanut butter because that turns the snack into a potential meal, and then various NCAA guidelines come into play. Just goes to show the compliance office has to keep tabs on areas than many of us wouldn't think about.

Nov 1, 2018, 7:56 AM

What a hot mess. Every time I hear Maryland football I think of Danny Ford running across the field to kick Bobby Ross’ tail at half time in the 80’s, classic. Jack Artie didn’t know what the heck was going on.

Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 AM

Jack Arute , sorry

Nov 1, 2018, 8:01 AM

Durkins May have some ammo for a lawsuit, Thank God Maryland is no longer in the ACC.

Nov 1, 2018, 12:31 PM

It allows him to keep his owed money. If the board fired him, no money. By reinstating him at no fault, he keeps his money, even after he is fired. It was a plan I believe.

Nov 1, 2018, 1:16 PM

A serious lack of leadership at Maryland. What a train wreck.

You'd have to think Durkin's contact had some type of moral behavior clause that would allow the University to fire him without having to pay any remaining money. This is why people get 'suspended with pay' -- so the school's attorneys can find a legal way to get rid of him.

I was surprised the BOD decided to keep him. Who do they think they are, O310 State?

I can't see Durkin ever coaching in college again. How could he ever recruit?

I'm happy to have Louisville (even with all of their issues) as an upgrade to Maryland on the ACC. Good riddance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic