Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious UGA recruiting question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,271

Serious UGA recruiting question

Dec 4, 2018, 12:34 PM

Just saw the 2019 team rankings on ClemBert's post and am curious.

What is happening to UGA's recruiting? They were on a huge upward trajectory (some would say illegaly) and are coming back to earth this year. Last year they closed 8 five stars! This year they have 1 committed. Was it a function of the state being stacked with more talent last year or has something scared the bagmen back to reality? Seriously asking here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are still in it for a number of five stars...

Dec 4, 2018, 12:37 PM

I expect they will close well and end up somewhere in the top 5.

So to answer your question, nothing.

Re: Serious UGA recruiting question

Dec 4, 2018, 12:41 PM

I’m not sure what’s going on either. Maybe partly because I derive so much joy in it but I feel there is something changing in Athens. Recruits and their families seem to be smelling something stinky, kind of like a big ole pile of dog poop.

Re: Serious UGA recruiting question- I think kids of today

Dec 4, 2018, 12:41 PM

find the visor and 1960's haircut off putting. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cruits are seeing that UGAG's ceiling is 3rd best in SEC

Dec 4, 2018, 12:43 PM

under Kirby.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting

Dec 4, 2018, 12:45 PM

They only have 17/18 commits vs. 24 for us right now. I don't know how many they can sign this year, but their average recruit ranking is higher than Alabama. It reminds me of our recruiting rank last year. We took less players but the average recruit ranking was one of the highest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

LOL...I don't know how many they can sign...lol

Dec 4, 2018, 12:49 PM

They'll sign 30+ like most other $EC teams do EVERY YEAR !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

^^this. The numbers are catching up . UGA is

Dec 4, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting ]

A young team and simply doesnt have room for 35 this year.

But

But

But

Read this now and believe it as soon as tomorrow. These rankings are BS. There isn't a big difference between a #1 recruiting class and the #10. These ran kings are constantly changing as kids gain and lose stars.

If you areally doing pretty good if youre in the top 15 of any of these polls.

Don't for a second think that UGA is slipping because the end up at 5 or 6 . Kirby is getting his.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

The OP is probably thinking about the recent DeMuttments,

Dec 4, 2018, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting ]

along with the prevailing belief that Saban is about to nab ALL he can from them. That didn't happen last year.

Re: Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting

Dec 4, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting ]

Everybody knows the SEC can sign 30 every year, and kick out what didn't start this year!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting

Dec 4, 2018, 1:25 PM

yep recruiting number limits do not apply to the SEC. KInd of like "serving suggestion" on a food package

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not saying they aren't recruiting well

Dec 4, 2018, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Nothing is wrong with UGA's Recruiting ]

They're recruiting great, but it doesn't feel the same way it did last year. Maybe citing their class rank was misleading.

Last year they were close to unbeatable on the recruiting trail and this year they are losing some battles. That's what i'm talking about.

Thanks for the clarification

Dec 4, 2018, 1:18 PM

I do think the number of openings available last year had an impact on the number of 5* they closed. It's also tougher this year now that Florida and Tennessee have bounced back and have new coaches as opposed to coaches that are clearly on the chopping block.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Thanks for the answer

Dec 4, 2018, 2:19 PM

Makes sense.

Dec 4, 2018, 12:54 PM

It’s time for Sam Pittman to get a promotion to OC somewhere out west.

Dec 4, 2018, 12:59 PM

Maybe the bag man has to replenish his bag with $$$$$$$$$, 8, 5 stars wasn't cheap;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2018, 1:01 PM

2 parts...

#1 Kirby isn't the "new trendy" guy... and Florida isn't a hot mess anymore. Mullin is likely a factor being both newer/trndy and a better rival.

#2 UGA isn't choosy. They took everyone "rated" and made a big splash about it. The next year's crops know they have similar talent ahead of them so they are more likely to consider elsewhere. Considering character issues, they are less likely to be team oriented either.

That being said, UGA is always a paper talent school. They recruit "talent" in truckloads, but they dont choose well. In comparison, Dabo recruits just as well but also recruits the 5-star character folks at the 5/4-start level.

That was always the issue with the Richt teams (and Richt is a stand-up guy). Richt got the talent but was a half-step slow on the character issues. You just had to shake your head at UGA as they should win more hardware than what they bring in.

That makes UGA and the Coots similar in some cases. They look at "stars" and associate that with winning. Now, UGA isn't a failure like USC but both often under-perform consisting to their talent level. Coots overpay for false-stars and UGA overpays for talent with baggage.

They'e due for some Isaiah Crowell and Jonathan Taylor type

Dec 4, 2018, 1:10 PM

problems.

Kirby's kept those type of issues tamped down, but that won't last forever. Not in Athens.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget about the rash of decomuttments.***

Dec 4, 2018, 1:10 PM

Dec 4, 2018, 1:19 PM

I hope UGA/Kirby start recruiting like FSU and Miami did a number of years ago when they just started going after all of the recruits based on start rankings .... and it turned out a bunch of them couldn't play, at least in the systems they ran .... i.e. the Wilder kid at running back. I have faith that Dabo and staff still go after the guys that they feel will fit in and can produce regardless of stars .... i.e. Galloway ..... Jarrett .... Renfrow ... etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA doesn't care about "stars". They recruit guys who

Dec 4, 2018, 1:23 PM

fit their culture and their system. Look at Hunter Renfrow. He was a 1 star.

Look at Justin Fields. He was a 5 star and never plays. UGA has learned to go after the 1 and 2 stars.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,271
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic