Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seeking advice for Texas A&M trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Seeking advice for Texas A&M trip

Feb 12, 2018, 10:19 AM

Any well schooled travelers out there, I would appreciate your words of wisdom on making the trip to College Station. Travel packages, places to stay, things to do, local cuisine, etc. No throw-down drankin' joints, but open to pretty much all suggestions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lotta good B&B's between Brenham and College Station

Feb 12, 2018, 10:23 AM

Brenham is great if youre into antiques, also home for Blue Bell Ice Cream

Dixie Chicken a must on game day!

I Live in Texas so I can't tell you about rooming, but

Feb 12, 2018, 10:26 AM

you'll find A&M fans to be very courteous and friendly - downright helpful if you need it. I'm sure there'll be a few drunks, but by and large very classy fans.

Yes, they're a lot like Clemson fans***

Feb 12, 2018, 12:42 PM

Re: Seeking advice for Texas A&M trip

Feb 12, 2018, 10:42 AM

Well unless you are willing to pay a LOT of money you won't likely find a hotel room in College Station that means you need to figure out which direction you want to go - north to Dallas, south to Houston, or west toward San Antonio or Austin. Houston is the closest. If you are flying, Houston - George Bush is the closest major airport.

Make no mistake, the cities of Texas have distinctly different "personalities". Houston has the feel of an east coast city. Dallas has more mid-west feel. Austin has a more artsy/liberal/young vibe. San Antonio to me seems more like a town than a city despite the size it is; its Hispanic heritage is prominent. I have found that most people tend to prefer either Houston or Dallas but not both (I am among those preferring Dallas).

In terms of what to do - well that depends on a lot of things including how long you will be out there and what your interests are. Obviously you need to get some BBQ, which in Texas is brisket. I try to get what I call the "Texas Trifecta" on my trips to Texas (I don't live in TX any longer): brisket, chicken fried steak, and Mexican (or Tex/Mex) - obviously not at the same meal though.

The last time we played out there I thought the Aggie fans were first class all the way. Still by far the best experience I've ever had at an away game. Midnight "yell practice" can be interesting to watch. At the game, I encourage to stay and watch the Fight Texas Aggie Band perform; they are among the best precision marching bands around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 11:40 AM

All spot on. I live in Houston and plan to drive up the morning of and stay the night in College Station. Hotels are in fact outrageous. Minimum of 300/night at the worst hotel (2 star at best). In that regard it is a lot like Clemson!

Looking forward to seeing you all there. Let's get a lot of orange in that stadium!

Will those of us looking for tickets be able to get them through IPTAY? Has any communication come out yet? Have a feeling that I will probably need to go to the aftermarket for this one.

Can't give you any advice but I will tell you...

Feb 12, 2018, 12:51 PM

I've got a cousin who lives in College Station. My trip is all taken care of. Just have to get there. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 3:33 PM

Advice #1: NEVER touch any jars.

Kidding. TAMU has the best college stadium I've ever seen. I can't wait for the trip.

Feb 12, 2018, 4:11 PM

I can say that Conroe has some nice townhomes that rent reasonable on the Lake in a community called April Sound. Not impressed with what I have eaten in BBQ in Texas at all, the Pig blows them away in my opinion.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic