Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Running down the hill is less exciting now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Running down the hill is less exciting now

Nov 5, 2018, 9:50 AM

This is a nit picky thing because Clemson football games are great experiences all around. But I've noticed that the running down the hill isn't really "the most exciting 25 seconds" anymore.

I actually get more pumped up watching the video they play that shows players from the past getting psyched to run down. Retting and rearing to go. Players from way back doing it all the way to more modern days. Back then it was like "let me at em let me at em!!" Like they couldn't wait for the cannon to sound tp run down and crowd could feel that energy, we were ready to explode as well and let the players run down.

Now however you can barely even see the team on the top of the hill calmly standing in a line as Dabo does some clapping while Get Back coach and Batson stand there like stoic statues. It just... doesn't have every. And when the cannon sounds there isn't the same explosion of energy as there used to be because there wasn't as much build up.

This is the only thing that Dabo has changed that I don't like. But hey if it helps the team keep their composure to start games then keep doing it. It's not as explosive as a moment as it used to be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Running down the hill is less exciting now

Nov 5, 2018, 10:01 AM

yeah the kind of stretch it out and it takes about a minute and a half now. Still ok but the old let me at em approach was fun

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Running down the hill is less exciting now***

Nov 5, 2018, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nov 5, 2018, 10:05 AM

A lot of this loss of luster is because the hill has 30 people on it now. Also doesn't help we play no one at home this year and they are 12pm games. Give me a night game against a top 10 team and it is still the most exciting entrance in football. I do agree that it takes forever now for them to actually shoot the cannon and go down.

Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 AM

Perhaps you are right but .... I sure hope that we keep doing it because I don’t know anyone who doesn’t anticipate that moment before the game. It’s really more than 25 seconds anyway.The real excitements begins as the buses approach the stadium and the players exit for the hill. I love it and always will
Wish we could play a little “Dixie” but that taboo now!

Actually, what Dabo did was fix a problem

Nov 5, 2018, 10:19 AM

With TB, the half the team was standing halfway down the hill before the cannon fired. They should all be behind the rock. In compromised, I'd rather not have Dabo at the top of the hill but rather all the players clustered behind the rock.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's true

Nov 5, 2018, 10:23 AM

Sometimes under TB they got carried away and too many players would be in front on the rock, nearly halfway down the hill sometimes

Nov 5, 2018, 10:24 AM

Yes, it has lost it's luster the last two years. The dream video was phenomenal a COUPLE YEARS AGO. I love Dabo but don't care to see a close up shot of him talking ABOUT IT..... The last two years of videos have not been up to par. It's kind of like ho hum yeah they are running down the hill.

It was the most exciting 25 seconds in football, Now coaches stand in front of players and no one seems pumped up. The video is anticlimactic honestly.

We like Dabo and all and he can be inspiring but....

Nov 5, 2018, 10:39 AM

...with the TV cameras focused on him on the hill clapping his hands doesn't exactly get everyone excited. I'd like to see all coaches down on the sidelines. Then team captains directly behind the rock (their job to keep other players behind) and the team rocking back-and-forth or swag surfing.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is correct

Nov 5, 2018, 2:32 PM

We love Dabo of course but he has made the running down the hill a little too much about him with the kissing/hugging of the rock then the sprint down the hill out in front.

They have to drag it out

Nov 5, 2018, 2:39 PM

With all of the crap (cameras, etc) clustered around the goal post at the bottom, they almost have to go single file on both sides just to get through

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Calm down. We get old, it's normal for humans to get older.

Nov 5, 2018, 2:46 PM

The Clemson Tigers running down the hill into Death Valley is and will always be "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football" Clemson has THE best and most original entrance in college football, and no one that I can see is challenging that anytime soon.

Nov 5, 2018, 2:48 PM

I would say it's probably got more to do with safety than anything else . Dabo doesn't want to see a key player go down with a season ending injury
while getting tangled up in a cluster #### on the hill .

Nov 5, 2018, 2:54 PM

It may be familiarity causing a lack of luster. The same thing makes students who never went through the lean years expect championships. The CFP is a given and what's the big deal about getting tickets to a game we know we will win.
I grew up in B1G country and am the only one from my family that did not graduate from a B1G school. I chose Clemson. I live in NM so I only get to see running down the hill on TV. I get pumped up every time. I cannot believe the hill is not full. I was always there no matter who the opponent. Clemson traditions made my experience at Clemson. Orange britches please don't say pants. Military appreciation purple still gets me choked up because it's not just for show we mean it. I do not know what the attendance at basketball games is but being allowed to see ACC talent which is NBA talent right in your own backyard, how could you not get excited about that?
I love success but never forget those lean years because it makes you realize how fleeting success can be and gives one an appreciation for how great we got it now.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:28 PM

Agree 100% with your comments about the lean years and how fleeting success can be!! Have greatly enjoyed the success of the 80’s and 10’s, but also suffered through the lean 60’s, 70’s, 90’s and 00’s. These are indeed special times right now!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Nov 5, 2018, 3:09 PM

With the backups getting so much playing time, I think they are just being more cautious. Injuries to the 5th string walk-on could mean significant changes to the rotation in the 3rd quarter. No one wants that, especially the opposing team.

I just think that our players are a lot more focused right now compared to previous years. That ain't a bad thing. Less hype more productions. TB would allow them to go bonkers and then like a sugar-crazed toddler, they would crash off the cliff and take a nap. Dabo has them in a great headspace right now.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:21 PM

Also consider this ........ running down the hill is a great aid to recruiting. You can bet the farm that the coaches make sure the kids on campus for the first time see this ‘live and in color”. You can do your part as a supporter too! MAKE it the most exciting entrance in college football.

Nov 5, 2018, 3:18 PM

Totally agree. I’ve posted this before and of course got flamed.

I want to see what you see in my avatar, not Dabo standing there clapping.

I think he just likes the attention honestly.

AND

Nov 5, 2018, 3:23 PM

I see where your low pulse comes from ...fan

Nov 5, 2018, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Running down the hill is less exciting now ]

Ask Coach Kelly of ND about the reaction of seeing the entrance down the hill for the first time! His expression was priceless and always will be! Dabo is the leader of our program and doesn't want any staff or player to get seriously hurt in participating, but our fans need to stand and appreciate the chance of seeing such an entrance as say compared to Usuck's which Todd Ellis lamely describes as the best in college football (lol)! Just ask yourselves what it would be like not to have the experience any longer. Appreciate it for what it is worth to Clemson and our uniqueness as a program.

Go Tigers!

TIP I love you, but

Nov 5, 2018, 3:22 PM

The tradition of running down the hill was NEVER about the fans, it was NEVER about us. It's about those student athletes... They get off that bus, gather as a team at the top of that hill, rub Howard's rock as gladiators, and then run down that hill and enter their ARENA... Go Tigers!

Re: TIP I love you, but

Nov 5, 2018, 3:23 PM

Now it seems to be about the coach.

Dabo is the head of the team... come on.***

Nov 5, 2018, 3:27 PM

doesn't seem that way to me. Dabo stands out there and

Nov 5, 2018, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TIP I love you, but ]

doesn't draw that much attention to himself.

Under Bowden (who had no control of his players) they acted like a bunch of undisciplined wild men before running down.

I don't see anything to complain about unless you just don't like Dabo. Maybe Muschamp is more your speed.

yeah but it seems like the old way was more exciting for the players too

Nov 5, 2018, 3:30 PM [ in reply to TIP I love you, but ]

I mean maybe not but it would seem that way.

The team use to run down the hill as a group, and it was an

Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 PM

intimidating site!

I think taking away the balloons hurt too.***

Nov 5, 2018, 3:36 PM

Read or saw Lawrence Taylor

Nov 5, 2018, 3:50 PM

as a NY Giant get asked if he had ever been intimidated as a player. He smiled shook his head no then said something to the effect of “Well one time as a freshman at UNC on first road trip to Clemson when they ran down that hill. But it didn’t last long.”

Powerful stuff. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 4:07 PM

You obviously were never a Clemson player or recruit. How many times have I read that one of the highlights of a recruit’s visit is a run down the hill? Also, didn’t I read recently that one of the captains (maybe Wilkins) was supposed to be on the sidelines but requested that he be allowed to run down the hill? The seniors always mention this being the last time they will run down the hill. So don’t tell them that it has lost it’s luster.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic