Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Prediction: Fields will be the biggest transfer bust
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Prediction: Fields will be the biggest transfer bust

Mar 19, 2019, 3:08 PM

this year if manages to even become the starter, and I'm not certain that he will. I am convinced that the long ball is just not his forte and teams will realize that and make OSU one-dimensional. This might be OSU's worst year in recent years.

I think KB2 at Mizzou will be okay playing against SECondplace competition, as will Hurts at OU playing those weak defenses.

Not really sure what happened at UGA, but they knew they had acquired the old "pig in a poke" with Fields, and are elated to watch him go. OSU has no clue what they're about to get.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading through the ElevenWarriors Championship

Mar 19, 2019, 3:31 PM

game post and one of them was talking about how good Fields was going to be because he made Trevor look pedestrian at Elite Eleven

Will they never learn?

Re: Reading through the ElevenWarriors Championship

Mar 19, 2019, 4:07 PM

Murica® said:

game post and one of them was talking about how good Fields was going to be because he made Trevor look pedestrian at Elite Eleven

Will they never learn?

I'll say what I saw all along during the process: Fields is a human highlight reel. His high school team was 7-5 if I recall, and the games were very unlike those played by Trevor Lawrence.

Lawrence would throw 5 TD passes by halftime and it was ball game, for him. He lost two games in four years or something ridiculous like that. Almost every throw, every drive, Lawrence reminded you he was the best high school QB anybody had ever seen.

Fields killed it in 7-on-7 with shorts on - which got his rating soaring and the college recruitniks a-swooning - but in actual 11-on-11 with live contact he was always hot and cold. And often very cold. He'd have one amazing, head-turning play, followed by two what-the-heck-was-that clunkers, usually caused by really poor decision-making. He had all the ingredients, mind. Awesome arm. Could make all the throws. Was even more athletic and mobile than Deshaun Watson was. But in live games he always went 3-and-out...a lot. He had a lot of turnovers. There were a lot of games where he struggled...and yes, he could turn a game on those fantabulous plays everybody saw in his highlight reel. But his game film was a lot less impressive than his highlights, and you repeatedly saw signs he just wasn't a student of the game and didn't make decisions the way Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence did, or maintain that cool unflappable air under pressure.

It could be coaching. Somebody might yet put it all together for him, and I do think he'll fit Ohio State's system a heckuva lot better than Georgia's. But I question if he's ever going to be anything more than a JT Barrett in college...and Barrett was a high-character guy and a natural leader. Fields...isn't.

Re: Prediction: Fields will be the biggest transfer bust

Mar 19, 2019, 3:50 PM

Ryan Day is a darn good coach when it comes to QB's, I will have to call you on this one that Fields will not be the biggest bust. With the speed of OSU WR's he can make a good living off of short passes especially with them returning a solid RB in Dobbins. He has a rocket arm (you haven't seen his film if you think he can't throw it downfield) and what he needs to fix will be more technical than anything unlike KB which was more of him not having enough arm strength to hit the short passes in time but he had a solid technical skill set. I'm not saying he will be a top tier QB but he will be far from the biggest bust, also Day pretty much pegged him as the starter as he said if Justin doesn't walk out first in game 1 a major upset happened. Amazed at this boards dislike of Fields, he didn't pick his rank he was given it but he definitely has to prove his worth still but he's a baller from what I've seen.

Mar 19, 2019, 3:59 PM

It almost sounds like UGA does not know how to improve their QB's if Fields is just a matter of fixing a few things. Maybe you're right cuz I haven't seen much of Fields in action. My concern is that his down field throws are not consistent to make that a viable play call. Maybe the short stuff will work for OSU, but if I'm a DC on the other side of the field and I see Fields at QB, I'm going to make him beat me with his arm. Maybe he will prove me very wrong.

Mar 19, 2019, 4:26 PM

He didn’t leave UGA because UGA wanted him gone, he left because Fromm didn’t give him a chance to take the job and he was looking at 1 year as a starter. And he can definitely throw it deep with some accuracy. I don’t think he’s going to be as good as people are anointing him to be but I also think you’re way too low on him.

Quozzel’s take above I pretty much agree with. Has all the tools but it never seemed to translate to on field team success. In HS he also seemed to try to do too much which led to turnovers. Didn’t seem to have the best attitude if you watched that QB1 doc series on Netflix but he’s hardly the first or last HS kid that needed an attitude adjustment.

Mar 19, 2019, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Prediction: Fields will be the biggest transfer bust ]

Sethslyy...my sense is you're over-stating how people feel about Fields which, frankly, isn't really that much. Much of the 'supposed' animosity is really directed at Dawg fan who tossed their 'fleas' about T-Net with impunity, wholly declaring Fields was the 'Dawg Messiah' who would make folks forget Watson ever left the state of Georgia, and laughing at Tiger fans who thought Trevor would ever deliver anything more than good 'head shots'. Supplement all of those 'views' with the droning on and on by SECSPN and their infatuation with Fields and you have a perfect storm of Clemson Tiger fans' right to be dismissive of Dawgs, ESPN, Luginbill/analysts and whatever the future holds for Fields. It's really not the kid's fault, other than shorts and camps are the football equivalent of 'painting by numbers'...it doesn't make you and artist.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And for the record...

Mar 19, 2019, 4:37 PM

I didn't type worth a Shyatt...and am a disgrace to my English profs Henry and Skardon. For that, I am deeply embarrassed and apologize.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 4:19 PM

Really hope we get to play Fields in the playoffs so Trevor can show him (just like he showed Tua) what a REAL QB looks like.......but that ain’t happening because Fields is not near good enough to get them that far......neither one of those guys will ever
come close to being near as good as Trevor even on their best day ........Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 19, 2019, 4:36 PM

I haven't watched much of Fields's college play (no one has as he barely saw the field at UGA) so I can't make a huge prediction on his success at that school we beat down 31-0. However, I will say the hype train is ridiculous by (huge surprise) ESPN for a player who's entire tape is from HS. On the KB situation, unless he figured out the deep ball (doubt it) I think he will be a decent QB that leads a middling team. I hope he plays absolutely lights out against the other team from Columbia but beyond that I just don't care. Hurts I believe has the best chance to excel. Riley runs an offense that caters directly to that type of QB and Hurts is a proven winner. I think he handled the Bama situation well and has maturity that I feel the other 2 are lacking. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the QB of the 3 we are talking most about after the season.

Mar 19, 2019, 5:44 PM

I expect Hurts to be in Heisman conversations just because of the specific program that he transferred into. You said it best about how he fits that system.

It gets me how the "pundits" talk like it's a sure thing....

Mar 19, 2019, 5:45 PM

this guy's going to be a major star. And how much has he actually played???? Where do they get their predictions from? If this guy's as good as some guarantee then he would have pushed Jake Fromm for the starting job (which he didn't).

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic