Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question For Recruiting Guru's On Board.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Question For Recruiting Guru's On Board.

Dec 6, 2018, 8:16 PM

Tigers have two DE recruits committed for 2019 class.
Etinosa Reuben - 6'3 275 3*
Ruke Orhorhoro - 6'4 271 3*
Tayquon Johnson - 6'2 295 3*

***We have a 4 star talent who kind of teters on the 5 star line in we hope to get in Tyler Davis.

I see us being super thin on experience next season ( since it's fan speculation time during this break). We will be losing Wilkins, Huggins, Lawrence at DT. Nyles Pincklney will be back and hopefully ready to break out next season.

My question for the recruiting guru's - are most of your 3* guys going to be just about automatic red shirts? The 1st two I listed above are actually listed as DE; but I don't see them having that type of speed/power! Upon looking at their video; I'm thinking the plan is to get these guys on campus and bulk them up! T. Johnson is listed as a DT and I wonder if the coaches think he is being mis-evaluated by everyone else! Or if the plan is to get him in the weight room and add strength and power!

WR, RB, DB, QB, K, maybe LS and perhaps LB a kid can come right in and play; very few can come in and play on the OL, DT unless they are some type of physical freak! CW and DL were just that but both came in with the size/speed/power.

I mean, KJ Henry, Tre Lamar were 5* guys who redshirted here. These guys in my opinion will need to bulk up and improve their agility/speed/power and move inside. Any thoughts? Any news on Tyler Davis? Will we be thin @ DT or did I get a roster that cut off the DT's who are coming back? Go Tigers! Man 4 weeks is a long time, LOL!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question For Recruiting Guru's On Board.

Dec 6, 2018, 8:20 PM

Reuben is not a 3 star talent. It's what he ranked as but he's more like a high 4 star guy with great upside. He and Orhorhoro are both very new to football in general. Johnson a bit underrated and could contribute some next year.

All 3 guys probably wind up playing mostly inside, maybe some 3-tech for Reuben and Ruke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 8:21 PM

Right off the top of my head, you are missing two 4* DTs in Darnell Jeffries and Justen Foster.

Dec 7, 2018, 7:39 PM

I think Foster is a DE.

And Xavier Kelly***

Dec 7, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Question For Recruiting Guru's On Board. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 8:42 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Man those responses will help me sleep a bit better tonight! Everyone on here have been talking OL depth/quality recruits. To me the separation of elite teams is all about DL play; particularly DT play. Why? Because if you don't have to blitz to pressure the QB or if you can stop the run pretty much up front you can get a lot more creative in stopping offensive tendencies!

DT and overall DL play is = to or slightly > OL play if you are going to be an elite team annually! Good news for the Tigers!

Dec 6, 2018, 8:44 PM

Etinosa Reuben and Ruke Orhorhoro will likely be playing tackle here, and the depth chart will dictate whether or not they red shirt.

Johnson has offers from UGA, Bama, ATM, Kentucky, Penn State,and others. That should tell you how good he is, not some star rating.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 8:48 PM

We have Pickney and Jordan Williams as well as Xavier Kelly back on the inside along with our current redshirt in Darnell Jeffries. Other than those 4 I’m not sure of anyone else on the roster who plays inside. Obviously losing Belk was huge and I expect a couple defensive ends to convert inside if the coaches feel we are thin on the inside next year.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 6:37 PM

ChanTheTiger® Thanks! I forget about Kelly and Jefferies! We should be fine. I remember those Oklahoma DL under Venables were always stout. Grady Jarrett for us was a 2 or 3* guy but "look at where he worked himself into now"!

There aren't but a handful of freshmen who can come in and do what CW and DL did on the inside that early. Seems like we will have some good depth there; assuming as some of you have said - some of the recruited DE's move inside.

Think about it; they quick enough to be DE but only 3* b/c with elite speed they would be 5* players. Put some smart weight on them move them inside while still retaining their speed and "Wa-La" speedy hopefully strong/stout DT.

Dec 7, 2018, 7:10 PM

Don't forget Justin Mascoll, everything I read about him is he is expected to be a stud with some added stregth, very talented.

Dabo mentioned Justin as someone who'd see the field

Dec 7, 2018, 7:35 PM

against ND in yesterday's presser.

Dec 8, 2018, 8:34 AM

All 3 of those guys you mentioned will play tackle as others have mentioned. Ruke needs a year or two to add more weight and just get more football experience as he’s very raw. Reuben a little further along but I don’t think we count on him next year. Johnson is the most physically ready out of the 3, and really would be a 4* if he had better technique which is the easiest fix. Tyler Davis also likely contributes from day 1 and is the closest thing we’ve had to Grady Jarrett since Grady left.

If Johnson and Davis are ready to give us depth next year, I’m not worried and the future looks bright

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic