Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Punting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 4,157

Punting

Dec 2, 2018, 8:33 PM

How many bad punts is it gonna take for Dabo to remove Spiers of his duties? It's RIDICULOUS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Punting

Dec 2, 2018, 8:36 PM

Hopefully we won't punt again this year.

I'm over the rugby style punts.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:41 PM

....and that's Dabo calling those.

Punt. The. Dadgum. Ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 8:41 PM

I continue to be amazed he hasnt been replaced. Both other guys who have been give a punt have done better with their opportunity. The rugby punt last night was about as bad as I've ever seen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there were some pretty good punts last night

Dec 2, 2018, 8:45 PM

and one really bad one

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Were there?

Dec 2, 2018, 9:55 PM

That's one really good punt, one dreadful punt, and a bunch of other really bad ones. I think it's reasonable to say that the 15 yarder and the 63 yarder were outliers and toss them out. That leaves 5 punts that very consistently traveled in the 30-37 yard range. Those 5 punts averaged 34.6 yards.

I know the conditions sucked, but the Pitt punter managed to average 42.4 yards per kick. Spiers is just really, really bad, and there's no way to spin it as anything else.

Re: there were some pretty good punts last night

Dec 2, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to there were some pretty good punts last night ]

Only one really good one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m sure if we had a better punter he’d use him. This is why

Dec 2, 2018, 8:47 PM

We used a scholarship to recruit a punter in 2019.

Re: I’m sure if we had a better punter he’d use him. This is why

Dec 2, 2018, 8:51 PM

I guarantee you BT Potter or Renfrow can out punt Spiers.

Then I guess Coach Swinney likes losing 10-15 yards on every

Dec 2, 2018, 8:57 PM

Punt.

He must Rhett***

Dec 2, 2018, 9:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then I guess Coach Swinney likes losing 10-15 yards on every

Dec 2, 2018, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Then I guess Coach Swinney likes losing 10-15 yards on every ]

the answer to your question......yes he does........Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I’m sure if we had a better punter he’d use him. This is why

Dec 2, 2018, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I’m sure if we had a better punter he’d use him. This is why ]

I am willing to bet Hunter Renfrow can (consistently) punt the ball further than 35 yards.......Go Tigers!!!!!

Is Spiers allowed to just throw it downfield??

Dec 2, 2018, 8:49 PM

He did have one good one of 63 yds. that went into endzone I think it was, but a 15 yarder?!?!

Re: Is Spiers allowed to just throw it downfield??

Dec 2, 2018, 8:52 PM

anytime he hits a good one it is a short field and goes into the end zone

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Spiers allowed to just throw it downfield??

Dec 2, 2018, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Is Spiers allowed to just throw it downfield?? ]

Nice young man, great family, just not consistent, and doesn’t seem to have much control, kinda laid back, for his size he should have more punch, not sure that he’s interested in perfecting his kick.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:57 PM

I can't believe we don't have anyone that can just consistently punt. I can see a flub here and there.

Dec 2, 2018, 9:16 PM

We were 2 rows behind bench at BC and he was on sideline going through his motions almost from first snap. My friend was screaming out what bad karma it was to be up getting ready for punt when I was just getting started, but it seemed clear he simply does not have great confidence (I suppose w good reason) that he can get the job done. I hate that Coaches, dad, Dr. Milt, whomever, cannot better assist him, but it is long past the time to let someone else (we have lots of good athletes who can at least field the snap and get off a good rugby kick) get a real chance. Yes, he set ACCCG record last night, but predictably, put it through endzone when 24-4 yards LESS would’ve been better. On another, but related note, TJ Chase is getting closer to making a good play on those punts. Last week he stupidly let the ball hit and roll past him after he’d camped out at the goal line (should have know just to catch it inside 10 when no one else around). Last night, he went ahead and fielded it, but needed to get behind receiver (in case he was faking) to do so. Hopefully we clean it up, because, like 2015, this is a real weakness that could cost us a title. As others have said, let’s just use this as motivation to NOT punt anymore this year.

I was in Charlotte last night

Dec 2, 2018, 9:23 PM

Bad punting was a continuation of punting in most games this season. Long punts into the end zone when punts inside 20 needed - short punts when booming punts needed - and some shanks when under pressure.

There has to be a kicker on team or walk-on soccer player that would be a big improvement. Maybe Dabo will consider a long distance and short distance punter based on situation like kickers are used by some teams ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiers did show good shortstop skills on several bad snaps

Dec 2, 2018, 9:51 PM

last night. Guess it has to be hard to grip given the conditions.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 9:26 PM

hope punting game (or lack thereof) does not cost us a game in this playoff.........it is by far the weakest link on this team and weaknesses like this will typically be most exposed against very good teams come playoff time......weakness in special teams probably cost us to lose the national championship game against Bama in 2015...........Go Tigers!!!!!!

Dec 2, 2018, 9:34 PM

Dude is the weakest link on the team. I just don't get it!

Dec 2, 2018, 9:58 PM

We deliberately like to lose yardage when we have punting duels with our opponents. That way, the field is longer for us, and our RB's and receivers and QB can rack up more yards. This is so obvious.

Personally, I keep expecting our KR to run it out of the EZ and stop at the 10 just to have a long field to work on our game. We seem to have little to no problem being on the 2 or inside the 5. Just allows more yards IMO.

Not sure why everyone worries about this. It just keeps the game interesting, otherwise the opponents would not even have a chance to ever score.

Can we go back to the rugby punts we used against

Dec 2, 2018, 9:58 PM

OSU in the 2016 playoff game? Teasdall averaged 41.2 yards per punt in that game and we limited Curtis Samuel to 1 punt return for -1 yards.

Maybe Spiers just can't execute the rugby punt? I think we've tried it once or twice this year with him and i seem to remember them not working out well.

We had a story on radio last year about

Dec 2, 2018, 10:33 PM

Dabo not allowing kicking coaches to work with his kickers. One nationally known kicking coach offered to work with the kickers and Dabo told him “no thanks.”

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: We had a story on radio last year about

Dec 2, 2018, 11:02 PM

I agree that rugby style punting is his weak point. He made two punts that showed why he is our punter. The first was him fielding a hike that was skipped to him and getting it out to the forty. The other punt was in the second half, which was hiked to him that he had to pick up almost off the ground. I have not heard any of you armchair coaches say anything about that. Maybe you were Hancocked and just do not realize this fact.

Replies: 25
| visibility 4,157
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic